Let's Talk About Baseball

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2013, 01:31 PM
RE: Let's Talk About Baseball
(29-05-2013 02:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 01:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Maybe, like many things, somewhere in the middle. With one of the lowest payrolls last year, the A's won the AL West. This year, the Dodgers have one of the highest payrolls and they're last in the NL West. The A's couldn't move past the first round in the playoffs. Just conjecture on my part, but I think the Dodgers have enough playoff veterans that could probably scratch out some wins if they can ever get their regular season on track.

Well so far the Yankee's have won 27 titles in 40 world series appearances. They are #2 in the world for any team any sport any country as far as championships right behind Real Madrid.

MLB-New York Yankees-27 World Championships in 40 tries.
Real Madrid with 31 La Liga titles, 17 Spanish Cups, 9 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups.

Hard to argue with those numbers.

Oh, it's not hard at all! Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2013, 01:46 PM
(30-05-2013 01:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 02:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well so far the Yankee's have won 27 titles in 40 world series appearances. They are #2 in the world for any team any sport any country as far as championships right behind Real Madrid.

MLB-New York Yankees-27 World Championships in 40 tries.
Real Madrid with 31 La Liga titles, 17 Spanish Cups, 9 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups.

Hard to argue with those numbers.

Oh, it's not hard at all! Tongue

Well if championships aren't your cup o' tea how about net worth.

#1 Manchester United
#2 Real Madrid
#3 New York Yankees
Value: $1.85 billion
Owner: Steinbrenner family

The Yankees are just part of a money making machine that also includes the YES Network and Legends Hospitality. YES, the team's 34%-owned regional sports channel, is the most profitable RSN in the country with operating income of more than $200 million. Legends, the stadium management and concessions company owned by the Yankees, Dallas Cowboys and Goldman Sachs, signed a deal last year to sell season tickets at the San Francisco's 49ers new stadium. The enterprise value for the Yankees, YES and Legends is estimated to be $5.5 billion. - Forbes Magazinehttp://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ikdf...yankees-2/

Not a fan of theirs but they are doing it right regardless of your metric.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-05-2013, 03:44 PM
(30-05-2013 01:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 01:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, it's not hard at all! Tongue

Well if championships aren't your cup o' tea how about net worth.

#1 Manchester United
#2 Real Madrid
#3 New York Yankees

The Yankees are just part of a money making machine that also includes the YES Network and Legends Hospitality. YES, the team's 34%-owned regional sports channel, is the most profitable RSN in the country with operating income of more than $200 million. Legends, the stadium management and concessions company owned by the Yankees, Dallas Cowboys and Goldman Sachs, signed a deal last year to sell season tickets at the San Francisco's 49ers new stadium. The enterprise value for the Yankees, YES and Legends is estimated to be $5.5 billion. - Forbes Magazinehttp://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ikdf...yankees-2/

I said I could. I didn't say I would. Tongue

And, I didn't use any metric. I speculated in a conversation, is all.

But I will ask some questions, since you're throwing around numbers...

Let's start with 1975 and Free Agency as the point when big contracts started to be commonplace in baseball. How much have the Yankees spent in payroll in the last 38 years and how many of those 40 Series appearances have been since 1975?

I'll answer the Series appearances question: Since 1975, they've appeared in 11 World Series with a 7-4 record.

Your metric is correct in leading to the correlation that spending lots of money seems to have indeed gotten them to the championship series 11 times. The next closest team is the St. Louis Cardinals with a 3-3 record.

But my question is, and I'm too lazy to research it, taking the total sum of the payroll spent in the past 38 years, how much have they paid for each of their 11 appearances? How much have the Cardinals spent for their 6? And how would that compare to what the Marlins have paid for their 2 wins since starting in 1993 versus money spent? I have no idea the outcome, I just think it would be an interesting exercise. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-05-2013, 04:15 PM
(30-05-2013 03:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 01:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well if championships aren't your cup o' tea how about net worth.

#1 Manchester United
#2 Real Madrid
#3 New York Yankees

I said I could. I didn't say I would. Tongue

And, I didn't use any metric. I speculated in a conversation, is all.

But I will ask some questions, since you're throwing around numbers...

Let's start with 1975 and Free Agency as the point when big contracts started to be commonplace in baseball. How much have the Yankees spent in payroll in the last 38 years and how many of those 40 Series appearances have been since 1975?

I'll answer the Series appearances question: Since 1975, they've appeared in 11 World Series with a 7-4 record.

Your metric is correct in leading to the correlation that spending lots of money seems to have indeed gotten them to the championship series 11 times. The next closest team is the St. Louis Cardinals with a 3-3 record.

But my question is, and I'm too lazy to research it, taking the total sum of the payroll spent in the past 38 years, how much have they paid for each of their 11 appearances? How much have the Cardinals spent for their 6? And how would that compare to what the Marlins have paid for their 2 wins since starting in 1993 versus money spent? I have no idea the outcome, I just think it would be an interesting exercise. Drinking Beverage

I'm sure those numbers are out there somewhere but meh. IIRC the marlins dropped a lot of cash for 2 rent-a-world-series years. If anyone feels like crunching the numbers it would be interesting to see how everything broke down, though I suspect if you count payroll vs net worth the Yankee's are still doing well.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-05-2013, 05:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/932565...ting-coach

Can the hero help at all? Probably not Weeping

30-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Have you noticed the hapless Twins have finally won a few.
We have a family friend who plays for them, and feel so bad for him they do so badly.
He could easily go anywhere, and play for anyone. He's too loyal.
I s'pose this will jinx it. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-05-2013, 06:01 PM
(30-05-2013 05:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/932565...ting-coach

Only if they're signing him to be their DH.

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-05-2013, 06:02 PM
(30-05-2013 05:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have you noticed the hapless Twins have finally won a few.
We have a family friend who plays for them, and feel so bad for him they do so badly.

I hope you jinxed them since the Mariners are playing there this weekend. Big Grin

30-05-2013, 06:10 PM
(30-05-2013 06:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 05:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/932565...ting-coach

Only if they're signing him to be their DH.

I'd be willing to give him that chance Dodgy

30-05-2013, 06:47 PM
(30-05-2013 06:02 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 05:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have you noticed the hapless Twins have finally won a few.

I hope you jinxed them since the Mariners are playing there this weekend. Big Grin

In August I stop up there on the way back from school, to visit the cuz's. We'll prolly go to a game. Then we're gonna get on the Empire Builder, and take the train back, through the Rockies. I have this *thing* for old trains.
https://www.google.com/search?q=empire+b...42&bih=607
Should be spectacular scenery. And it dumps us in your neighborhood ..

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)