Let's Talk About Baseball

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 10:53 AM
RE: Let's Talk About Baseball
So they're making a big thing about Ichiro Suzuki having more career hits than Pete Rose -- if you count his hits in Japan as well as those in America's Major Leagues. Pete Rose sneers "Why don't you count his high school hits, too?"

I'm not a big Pete Rose fan, but I would take his side here. Japanese League stats should not count toward major league career totals.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2016, 12:02 PM
(16-06-2016 10:53 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  So they're making a big thing about Ichiro Suzuki having more career hits than Pete Rose -- if you count his hits in Japan as well as those in America's Major Leagues. Pete Rose sneers "Why don't you count his high school hits, too?"

I'm not a big Pete Rose fan, but I would take his side here. Japanese League stats should not count toward major league career totals.

It'd be like adding Minor League stats.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago what'ya say, the Cubs are gonna win today!
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
11-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Tribute to the writer of this and many other greats, Steve Goodman. Here he is singing another Cub song.

[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
11-08-2016, 11:02 AM
All I can say is "don't celebrate too early". The other day, they were saying that this team could be as good as the 1985 Cubs. That led me to ask the rhetorical question "...and how far did the 1985 Cubs get in the playoffs?" We could also remember the record-setting Seattle team that fizzled in the playoffs.

The Cubs are damn good this year -- no denying that -- but it ain't over until it's over.

Go Brewers!Weeping
11-08-2016, 11:41 AM
(11-08-2016 11:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  All I can say is "don't celebrate too early". The other day, they were saying that this team could be as good as the 1985 Cubs. That led me to ask the rhetorical question "...and how far did the 1985 Cubs get in the playoffs?" We could also remember the record-setting Seattle team that fizzled in the playoffs.

The Cubs are damn good this year -- no denying that -- but it ain't over until it's over.

Go Brewers!Weeping

Trust me....I know they haven't accomplished jack squat yet. They are good but what matter is what you do in the postseason.

I think you mean 1984. That team was the favorite to make and maybe even win the World Series and blew a 2-0 lead over the Padres in the NLCS, and blew a 3-0 lead in Game 5 to lose. The 1985 team was standard Cubs fare, i.e. they sucked.

Last year ended badly but making the NLCS was a surprise so I was ok with it. 2003 still haunts me, but honestly 2008 is the year everyone needs to remember. The Cubs won 97 games that year and had the best record in the NL, and got destroyed in 3 games by the Dodgers in the NLDS. That honestly was a bigger gut punch than 2003 because 2003 was a bit of a surprise as well.
11-08-2016, 12:45 PM
I've actually come around to being more impressed by what a team does in the regular season than in the playoffs -- because the playoffs are such a crap shoot. You can be quite obviously the best team in the league during the season (Seattle when they won 116 games; the New England Patriots in their undefeated season; the Golden State Warriors in the most recent NBA season) and hit a cold streak (or a hot team) in the playoffs, and poof. Or you can be like the St. Louis Cardinals the year they barely won more games than they lost (83-81 or something like that), made the playoffs only because they were (barely) the best team in a shitty division, and then got hot and went all the way. The team that wins the World Series or Super Bowl may actually be the best team, but as often as not, they aren't.

If the Cubs finish the season as far ahead of the pack as they have been most of the year, I will consider them baseball's best team, regardless of what they do in the playoffs -- because the playoffs are a crap shoot.

Note that I'm a Brewers fan who hates the Cubs. But you can't deny reality -- they genuinely look like the best team in baseball this year. And I will probably root for them in the playoffs. If my team can't be there, the next best thing is another team from our division.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
12-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but that's just how it is. If you don't win the championship, you're never going to get the praise. If they have the best record in baseball and don't win the WS, I honestly won't GAF about them having the best regular season record lol.
25-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Cubs Magic Number is 24.
25-08-2016, 01:33 PM
The Cubs are notorious for folding in the postseason. Just sayin'. Wink