Let's Talk About Baseball

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2013, 08:57 PM
You just said "taint"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2013, 09:02 PM
In 2011, Chris Davis hit 10 home runs. Last year he hit 33, the most in his career.

This year, half way through the season, he's hit 36...that puts him on pace to hit 72. A few more and he reaches Bonds' territory.

Not on the PEDs? Where'd this power come from all of a sudden?

Vocal against steroids? PayRod was vocal against steroids. How's that working out for him? Tongue

Just wondrin, is all. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-07-2013, 05:28 AM
RE: Let's Talk About Baseball
(14-07-2013 08:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Chris Davis is on the juice.

'tis all for now ...

Tongue

(14-07-2013 09:02 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In 2011, Chris Davis hit 10 home runs. Last year he hit 33, the most in his career.

This year, half way through the season, he's hit 36...that puts him on pace to hit 72. A few more and he reaches Bonds' territory.

Vocal against steroids? PayRod was vocal against steroids. How's that working out for him? Tongue

I don't think Davis is juicing. He's always had the power to hit big home runs. He just hasn't made contact with the ball as often as he has this year (and the end of last year).

BTW, he's on pace for 62 HR, not 72 HR (the Orioles have played 96 games so far, 15 more than half the season).

As to where it came from, there was a nice Grantland article about a month ago that talked about the change. Here's a bit about how he altered his practice routine, and the near-immediate results (emphasis added):

Jonah Keri of Grantland Wrote:At some point along the way to at-bat no. 1,495, pitchers figured out that Davis had light-tower power, but also that he could be exploited with off-speed and breaking pitches low and away. Of course, baseball history is littered with examples of similar players, many of whom never could figure out how to solve the curveball-in-the-dirt problem. Easier said than done.

Near the end of last season, Presley came to Davis with a suggestion. Davis was maniacal in his batting cage work, often taking 200 or more huge hacks in a session against pitching machines. What if, Presley suggested, Davis started hitting off a tee instead? And what if he took, say, 60 swings per session instead of 200? The drill would go as follows: Presley sets up six hoops as targets, one low and on the lefty-swinging Davis's pull side, one high and on Davis's pull side, one low and up the middle, one high and up the middle, one low and the other way, one high and the other way. Presley believed that athletes are visual learners, that hitting off a tee would encourage a more consistent, line-drive swing, and that aiming for each of the targets would drill home the message of using the whole field, going wherever a pitch takes you. Before coming to the Orioles, Presley had served four and a half years with the Marlins. One Marlin in particular loved the hoop drill, practiced it all the time, and excelled at it: Miguel Cabrera.

"Let's try it," Davis said.

He took to the drill right away, spraying line drives everywhere and saving more energy that he could then take out onto the field. After hitting a decent .265/.321/.465 with 26 homers in 132 games, Davis went nuts in his final seven games of the season. In what was easily the greatest stretch of his career to that point, he smacked seven homers in that final week, hitting .360 with a .407 on-base percentage, slugging a ridiculous 1.200.

Given that there was improvement at the end of last season and not just at the start of this season (or last season), and given the fact that another great slugger (Cabrera) followed the same practice routine with great results, I think steroids are unlikely as the cause of the change. The change in his practice routine is a more plausible explanation.

Which is not to say I'm surprised that folks are raising the idea that he's juicing (since so many other players have done it). But I think that there's a logical explanation in this case that points elsewhere.

- Chip
15-07-2013, 08:49 AM
(15-07-2013 05:28 AM)mdak06 Wrote:  
(14-07-2013 08:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Chris Davis is on the juice.

'tis all for now ...

Tongue

(14-07-2013 09:02 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In 2011, Chris Davis hit 10 home runs. Last year he hit 33, the most in his career.

I don't think Davis is juicing. He's always had the power to hit big home runs. He just hasn't made contact with the ball as often as he has this year (and the end of last year).

BTW, he's on pace for 62 HR, not 72 HR (the Orioles have played 96 games so far, 15 more than half the season).

As to where it came from, there was a nice Grantland article about a month ago that talked about the change. Here's a bit about how he altered his practice routine, and the near-immediate results (emphasis added):

Jonah Keri of Grantland Wrote:At some point along the way to at-bat no. 1,495, pitchers figured out that Davis had light-tower power, but also that he could be exploited with off-speed and breaking pitches low and away. Of course, baseball history is littered with examples of similar players, many of whom never could figure out how to solve the curveball-in-the-dirt problem. Easier said than done.

Near the end of last season, Presley came to Davis with a suggestion. Davis was maniacal in his batting cage work, often taking 200 or more huge hacks in a session against pitching machines. What if, Presley suggested, Davis started hitting off a tee instead? And what if he took, say, 60 swings per session instead of 200? The drill would go as follows: Presley sets up six hoops as targets, one low and on the lefty-swinging Davis's pull side, one high and on Davis's pull side, one low and up the middle, one high and up the middle, one low and the other way, one high and the other way. Presley believed that athletes are visual learners, that hitting off a tee would encourage a more consistent, line-drive swing, and that aiming for each of the targets would drill home the message of using the whole field, going wherever a pitch takes you. Before coming to the Orioles, Presley had served four and a half years with the Marlins. One Marlin in particular loved the hoop drill, practiced it all the time, and excelled at it: Miguel Cabrera.

"Let's try it," Davis said.

He took to the drill right away, spraying line drives everywhere and saving more energy that he could then take out onto the field. After hitting a decent .265/.321/.465 with 26 homers in 132 games, Davis went nuts in his final seven games of the season. In what was easily the greatest stretch of his career to that point, he smacked seven homers in that final week, hitting .360 with a .407 on-base percentage, slugging a ridiculous 1.200.

Given that there was improvement at the end of last season and not just at the start of this season (or last season), and given the fact that another great slugger (Cabrera) followed the same practice routine with great results, I think steroids are unlikely as the cause of the change. The change in his practice routine is a more plausible explanation.

Which is not to say I'm surprised that folks are raising the idea that he's juicing (since so many other players have done it). But I think that there's a logical explanation in this case that points elsewhere.

- Chip

I don't really have anything against the dude. We even share a surname. I just think it's fun bustin' O's fans' chops. Tongue

15-07-2013, 11:08 AM
(15-07-2013 08:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 05:28 AM)mdak06 Wrote:  I don't think Davis is juicing. He's always had the power to hit big home runs. He just hasn't made contact with the ball as often as he has this year (and the end of last year).

- Chip

I don't really have anything against the dude. We even share a surname. I just think it's fun bustin' O's fans' chops. Tongue

So how the M's doing this year? As for Davis he got a good hitting coach and doesn't chase as many balls so he makes contact more.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
15-07-2013, 01:45 PM
(15-07-2013 08:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't really have anything against the dude. We even share a surname. I just think it's fun bustin' O's fans' chops. Tongue

Eh, the O's have been "busted" for about a decade and a half, so I'm just happy to have a decent team again. Smile It's easier to enjoy the game when one's team is competitive.
[+] 1 user Likes mdak06's post
15-07-2013, 08:55 PM
(15-07-2013 11:08 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 08:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't really have anything against the dude. We even share a surname. I just think it's fun bustin' O's fans' chops. Tongue

So how the M's doing this year? As for Davis he got a good hitting coach and doesn't chase as many balls so he makes contact more.

The M's suck Wookie balls like they do every year. Weeping

16-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:I don't think Davis is juicing. He's always had the power to hit big home runs. He just hasn't made contact with the ball as often as he has this year (and the end of last year).

He also wasn't playing in a tiny little bandbox.
16-07-2013, 11:54 AM
(16-07-2013 09:18 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I don't think Davis is juicing. He's always had the power to hit big home runs. He just hasn't made contact with the ball as often as he has this year (and the end of last year).

He also wasn't playing in a tiny little bandbox.

That helps too. Camden Yards is a hitters dream has great power lines and is made for right handed power hitters. If he had just suddenly started powering ball into the stratosphere I would be more concerned, he always had the power he just struck out 9 times out of 10 because he would chase balls in the dirt now he has more discipline and you don't get that from a shot.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
16-07-2013, 02:06 PM
(16-07-2013 11:54 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 09:18 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  He also wasn't playing in a tiny little bandbox.

That helps too. Camden Yards is a hitters dream has great power lines and is made for right handed power hitters. If he had just suddenly started powering ball into the stratosphere I would be more concerned, he always had the power he just struck out 9 times out of 10 because he would chase balls in the dirt now he has more discipline and you don't get that from a shot.

Although I have no clue if Davis is doping, to say "you don't get that from a shot" is taking a near-sighted view. My understanding of PEDs is one benefit is they help your muscles recover faster. If you watch the Homerun Derby, you keep hearing about how grueling a long BP can be. So, an argument could be made that the reason he doesn't strike out 9 times out of 10 anymore is because he's put extra time into the batting cage and to really excel, he needs help recovering so he can go back out the next day and work at it again. Tongue