• 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 09:35 PM
RE: Let's Talk About Baseball
Royals lead the series 2 games to 1 Banana_zorro

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 09:41 PM
(24-10-2014 09:35 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Royals lead the series 2 games to 1 Banana_zorro

I can't believe I'm actually watching baseball. And keeping interest! Ohmy

Go Royals!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-10-2014, 10:15 PM
(24-10-2014 09:41 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 09:35 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Royals lead the series 2 games to 1 Banana_zorro

I can't believe I'm actually watching baseball. And keeping interest! Ohmy

Go Royals!

ikr! Laugh out load
It's been forever since I've actually seen a game live, much less watched on TV!

29-10-2014, 10:02 PM
[Image: 613015bf-8d5e-4ce7-a453-46c3ec825eeenews...bc530c46a8]

The guy is a beast and the Royals couldn't touch him.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
29-10-2014, 10:27 PM
I was told by everyone who knew me, I couldn't watch the games.

Each time I watched a game the Giants lost. Sad

That made for very upset friends and family. Today, I didn't watch, and my confirmation biased result held true. I don't watch and they win!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

29-10-2014, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 06:53 AM by evenheathen.)
(29-10-2014 10:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  [Image: 613015bf-8d5e-4ce7-a453-46c3ec825eeenews...bc530c46a8]

The guy is a beast and the Royals couldn't touch him.

Whatever. Besides the one run they were up, the royals did the same thing to the giants the rest of the game. Good solid defense by both teams, shitty offense by both. It was a boring game, sad ending to an exciting series.

Edit; okay, okay, you're right. The guy's a fucking monster. I'm just butthurt. Censored

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-10-2014, 06:20 AM
(29-10-2014 10:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was told by everyone who knew me, I couldn't watch the games.

Each time I watched a game the Giants lost. Sad

That made for very upset friends and family. Today, I didn't watch, and my confirmation biased result held true. I don't watch and they win!

It's time to schedule an exorcism. Unsure

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I don't take the World Series as seriously as most baseball fans. 7 games are not nearly enough to decide which team is "better", so it's really just an exhibition. And with the current playoff structure, it's entirely possible to have two teams in the World Series who are demonstrably not even the best teams in their respective leagues (wild card teams -- *cough*).

Having said that, I was kind of rooting for Kansas City, because their manager and one of their players (Lorenzo Cain) are former Milwaukee Brewers, and I'm a Brewers fan. It'll be a cold day in Hell before the Brewers make it back to the World Series (their one and only trip was in 1982, and they lost that one), so I have to live vicariously.

No big deal, though. Hats off to Bumgarner (what an incredible series for him!) and the Giants.
30-10-2014, 03:10 PM
(29-10-2014 10:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Good solid defense by both teams, shitty offense by both. It was a boring game, sad ending to an exciting series.

I didn't actually see the game, but in theory, the only games that could have been exciting were this game and game 3, because they were the only ones that were close. 10-0 might be pleasurable for the winning team, but it's not exciting. Exciting = close.

Actually, three of the most exciting games I've ever seen (curiously, all involved the Yankees) were low-scoring pitcher's duels:

May 28, 2000: Red Sox at Yankees, with first place at stake. Current Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez vs. former Red Sox ace Roger Clemens. Both pitchers went the distance (Clemens with 13 strikeouts), and the game was still a scoreless tie going into the 9th inning. The first runs of the game scored with 2 outs in the 9th -- a 2-run homer by Trot Nixon. Final score: Red Sox 2, Yankees 0.

September 2, 2001: Yankees at Red Sox. Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina comes within 1 strike of a perfect game before allowing a single to Carl Everett. Mussina finishes with a 1-hit shutout and 14 strikeouts. The opposing pitcher was David Cone, who had pitched a no-hitter for the Yankees just two years earlier. He carried a shutout into the 9th inning as well. Final score: Yankees 1, Red Sox 0.

2001 World Series, Game 7: Yankees at Diamondbacks. Roger Clemens again, vs. his former protege (and one of two D-Backs aces) Curt Schilling. Both pitchers are superb, but Clemens just a little more so, and the game goes into the 9th inning with the Yankees up 2-1. The D-Backs closer has been burned in the late innings twice in this Series, so instead of him, they bring in their other ace starter, Randy Johnson, on short rest. He mows down the Yankees, but not to worry. In the bottom of the 9th, the Yankees have the best closer in the game, Mariano Rivera (particularly deadly in postseason play), against the bottom of the D-Backs order. They already have the champagne out. Somehow the D-Backs manage to score not just 1, but 2 runs off of the normally "lights out" Rivera, and win the Series. There is no joy in Mudville for the Yankees.

It's a matter of taste, I guess, but for me, an exciting game doesn't have to be high-scoring. What it does have to be is a close game.
30-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Quote:Edit; okay, okay, you're right. The guy's a fucking monster. I'm just butthurt.

LOL. I'm a Yankee fan now but the Giants left NY when I was 7 and I still have a soft spot for them.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]