Let's define God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 11:04 AM
RE: Let's define God
I don't think you CAN define god. To truly define something you need to understand its fundamental nature, its parameters, how it works, what its features and capabilities and limitations are, and what makes it different than other similar concepts. God, in the modern sense of an entity not subject to the rules of existence as we know them, can't be fully known and described with current human knowledge and concepts.

Therefore, the best we can do is describe god indirectly by defining what god isn't or by defining god as the entity responsible for something happening or existing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2014, 11:19 AM
(28-04-2014 10:26 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  "God" is the infinite entity of human knowledge and undefined phenomenon.

Did you throw a bunch of magnets with words on them at your refrigerator and write out the results to come up with this bullshit?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
29-04-2014, 11:26 AM
(28-04-2014 11:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  God is any sufficiently vague and nonfalsifiable entity labeled "God" by an apologist.

In all seriousness, I don't think you'll actually get a good definition. The whole reason people still believe in gods is because they deliberately leave wiggle room in their concept. Any time you get too close to seeing what their god looks like, they wrap it in a few layers of Mysterious Ways to keep you from peeking.

The other problem is that there are so many mythical gods with so many varying (purported) qualities that you simply can't boil it down to a single thing.

The closest I can think of, off the top of my head, would go something like "a mythical being purported to possess qualities and/or powers that far exceed those of humans".

You say "creative", but there are many mythical gods who "are" not creative. War gods, for example.

Here's one example that seems rather close to that, from Google:

(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity

...and from Websters:

: a spirit or being that has great power, strength, knowledge, etc., and that can affect nature and the lives of people : one of various spirits or beings worshipped in some religions

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
29-04-2014, 11:30 AM
(29-04-2014 02:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:28 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Sure........... that's really helpful. **sarcasm**

*shakes head*

It's "undefined phenomena", not "phenomenon". Weeping

I say a god is a being who comes down from Mount Olympus and fucks unsuspecting maidens. I think we can agree on that.

Go on with your bad self - weeeeeeeeeeee Your definitions always rock Banana_zorro

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post