Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 11:31 AM by TrainWreck.)
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(03-05-2014 11:05 AM)Artie Wrote:  Atheist literally means "not theist". Nothing to do with "opposed to public policy based on theist religious doctrine". The prefix a- means literally "not, without". The word atheist literally means "not theist", the word atheist does not mean "opposed to public policy based on theist religious doctrine". There is no need for an atheist to have any interest in "public policy" or "religious doctrine", all that is required to be an atheist is not to be a theist. Not to have a belief in any gods. An atheist is any person who is not a theist. I can't put it simpler for you.
The problem is that you are not understanding that theism requires the decree from human authority. As you say there is a default that people are born into and have to be taught that there is a god to believe in. It is that decree from authority that "atheism" is the designation as opposed to. You are not opposed to the belief, because the belief does not exist (false belief), because there is no god to believe in - the only thing you can be without is obedience to the decree from authority.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 11:28 AM
(03-05-2014 11:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nah! Too busy sleeping around.
But anyway, I'm in Singapore... Go to Wiki's definition of efficiency and it says: Singapore.

Quote:efficiency
noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
03-05-2014, 11:32 AM
(03-05-2014 11:26 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The problem is that you are not understanding that theism requires the decree from human authority. As you say there is a default that people are born into and have to be taught that there is a god to believe in. It is that decree from authority that "atheism" is the designation as opposed to. You are not opposed to the belief, because the belief does not exist, because there is no god to believe in - the only thing you can be without is obedience to the decree from authority.
This doesn't make any sense. Do you understand that every person who is not a theist is an atheist because that is what the word means? "Not theist"?
Atheism is the lack of believe in gods. That's pretty much it. Agnostic atheists aren't 100 % percent sure about the existence or nonexistence of gods. Gnostic atheists are very sure about the nonexistence of gods. I'm a agnostic atheist by the way. Religious texts of all religions are nonsense horseshit. The gods of all religions seem made up. Religions in general are a joke.
Trainwreck, you know they make decaf, right?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Why is there a designation, "Humanism," if atheism covers it all?

03-05-2014, 12:05 PM
(03-05-2014 12:03 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Why is there a designation, "Humanism," if atheism covers it all?

Apples and oranges.

Give it up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 12:08 PM
(03-05-2014 12:03 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Why is there a designation, "Humanism," if atheism covers it all?
"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism Atheism is an absence of belief in gods. Do you really not see any difference between the two?
03-05-2014, 12:08 PM
(03-05-2014 10:10 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Why call yourself an atheist if you are not opposed to public policy based on theist religious doctrine!?!?!?

I am opposed to public policy based on religious doctrine but I don't really consider myself an atheist, I am areligion. The term atheism is premature and tacitly gives undeserved credibility to theism. Like the Science Guy debating the Creationist Idiot. Bad idea Science Guy. I applaud your efforts to encourage Girly to be more politically active and move from areligion to anti-religion but you won't accomplish that by redefining atheism. And I live in Maryland which is one of the most racially, ethnically, culturally and religiously diverse places on the planet. We are necessarily tolerant. No political activism necessary.

#sigh
03-05-2014, 12:17 PM
(03-05-2014 12:08 PM)Artie Wrote:  "Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism Atheism is an absence of belief in gods. Do you really not see any difference between the two?

So, is atheism a subset of humanism?