Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(04-05-2014 08:59 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:05 PM)djhall Wrote:  By adopting the ontologically accurate definitions we construct a more logically and philosophically coherent agenda that identifies atheism as a political movement which exists only to defeat the propagation of the belief in theism.
I find that agreeable.

(04-05-2014 03:26 AM)Artie Wrote:  That would mean that all atheist Buddhist monks sitting in some secluded monastery in Tibet trying to reach Nirvana have joined a political movement only existing to defeat the propagation of the belief in theism. A political movement started by Buddha himself 2500 years ago. Interesting theory. I guess Buddha would have been very happy with the fact that his political movement still exists after 2500 years but terribly unhappy with the spectacular lack of success in defeating the propagation of the belief in theism.
No. You are making a couple of errors in transference of inference over different eras and cultures, straw man argument - you're just being pretentious ass instead of trying to understand the ontological error that I am describing.

First of all, it is doubtful that Buddha described himself as an atheist - I do not know, because I do not study religions like the average atheist. Atheists in the modern world are probably the authority assigning the "Atheism" classification to the religion, and that is because they want to communicate with people who associate with the designation; where as the proper classification for the religion would fall under humanism.

If you did not want to come across as a pretentious ass-bitch, you would have posed the question like so: if Buddhism is an atheist religion then was it a political movement?

But no, you had to go through all the stupid shit of composing the narrative of the solitary and peaceful monk sitting in the monastery, and then the narrative about defeating theism - all straw man arguments - you lame pretentious ass-butch.

A better description of the buddhism religion is Nontheistic. Gods in early buddhism aren't important to the path. The 4 nobles truths and the 8fold path are the most important aspect. The existence or nonexistence of gods is irrevelant to his message. Only humans can save themselves from dukkha. The Buddha is a atheist in a sense that he denied the existence of the creator god or the ultimate first cause of the universe. The gods in early buddhist texts aren't a creator gods.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
(04-05-2014 08:59 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  But no, you had to go through all the stupid shit of composing the narrative of the solitary and peaceful monk sitting in the monastery, and then the narrative about defeating theism - all straw man arguments - you lame pretentious ass-butch.
Is Raƫlianism a political movement only existing to defeat the propagation of the belief in theism or is it an atheistic "UFO religion" since "Raƫlians do not believe in a god (or other deity)"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raelianism
04-05-2014, 10:16 AM
(04-05-2014 09:42 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Yes, you're right. I made a mistake - do you feel better? Did you argue a correction or are you just going to be a pretentious ass, as well.

I probably made the mistake because of the context of the discussion focusing on the errors of atheists, instead of recognizing the errors in the general. However, are you willing to recognize that the assignment of the "Atheism" classification is incorrect and not corrected by atheists?

Is that all you have to offer - the opportunity to clearly denote an error on my part???

Do you feel better - you going to make hay, or contribute to reason?

Good fucking thing I used the modifier "probably" - wouldn't you agree?

?

*Scratches head*

Okay...so, um, what was the mistake?

Could you perhaps expand/explain what it was you meant to post/say?

Much cheers to all.
04-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Sorting and ordering all of reality is a very difficult task, and it is only recent, in the course of human evolution, that science disciplines have been organized to the extent that they are stable.

More than likely, it was the Christians who classified Buddhism as an atheist religion, because it was/is convenient to describe it as such, because it is easier for the general population to understand.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
04-05-2014, 10:31 AM
(04-05-2014 09:11 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The reason I was attacked was because atheists have a dogma of misnomers that they behold as truths to their state of being - very similar to the dogma of falsehood that theists behold themselves to.
An atheist is a person who is not a theist. What is the "dogma of misnomers that they behold as truths to their state of being"?
[+] 1 user Likes Artie's post
04-05-2014, 10:41 AM
(04-05-2014 10:31 AM)Artie Wrote:  An atheist is a person who is not a theist. What is the "dogma of misnomers that they behold as truths to their state of being"?

(28-04-2014 11:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 09:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  My reputation precedes me, how may I be of service?
I need to know the definitions of the following words that atheists agree are correct:
  1. atheism
  2. humanism
  3. secularism
  4. religion
  5. belief
  6. worship

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
04-05-2014, 11:06 AM
(04-05-2014 10:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 10:31 AM)Artie Wrote:  An atheist is a person who is not a theist. What is the "dogma of misnomers that they behold as truths to their state of being"?

(28-04-2014 11:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I need to know the definitions of the following words that atheists agree are correct:
  1. atheism
  2. humanism
  3. secularism
  4. religion
  5. belief
  6. worship

"The more common understanding of atheism among atheists is "not believing in any gods." No claims or denials are made - an atheist is any person who is not a theist." http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism...ism101.htm

"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Secularism is the separation of church and state.

Religion is so difficult to define that you have to ask the person mentioning religion to define exactly what he means.

Belief is trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.

Worship is the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity or whatever.
[+] 2 users Like Artie's post
04-05-2014, 11:41 AM
(02-05-2014 09:03 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  atheism
the practice/support/group of - not - concerning god/religion
humanism
The practice/support/group of - humanity
secularism
The practice/support/group of - secular things
religion
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
belief
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists. (However, "blind belief" or "faith" is different.)
worship
A practice or ritual that glorifies, or shows love, or devotion to a object, or being.

04-05-2014, 11:52 AM
(04-05-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:03 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  atheism
the practice/support/group of - not - concerning god/religion
humanism
The practice/support/group of - humanity
secularism
The practice/support/group of - secular things
religion
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
belief
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists. (However, "blind belief" or "faith" is different.)
worship
A practice or ritual that glorifies, or shows love, or devotion to a object, or being.
I have no idea what most of this is supposed to mean so I can't comment. Any comment on my post number 227?
04-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, you guys are not in agreement as to the definitions, and there are plenty of discussions that this is a prevalent situation - atheists do not agree as to what the definitions are for the words most important to their discussions.