Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 01:28 PM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
Then SINCE there are multiple good/acceptable nuances of said definitions, one solution would be to specify which one is being used in a given conversation.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 01:39 PM
. . . of course, my theory is that we can standardize the definitions for all discussions; and subsequently that will lead to the better exercise and recognition of reason and the solutions to social problems.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
04-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Um...I thought the definitions were already defined?

Also, not all discussions are the same.

So..are you talking about online chat room discussions? Meeting down the local Pub type discussions? The often, random, standing around the water-cooler discussions?

Language definitions change in context depending on who and when are speaking....

Still really not sure what you were saying earlier, either.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
04-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Why you guys are arguing with a guy who simply doesn't understand that an atheist is just someone who is not a theist, no matter how many times he is told, is beyond me.
[+] 2 users Like joben1's post
04-05-2014, 01:50 PM
(04-05-2014 01:39 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  . . . of course, my theory is that we can standardize the definitions for all discussions; and subsequently that will lead to the better exercise and recognition of reason and the solutions to social problems.

They're fairly standardized, just misunderstood by the majority due to lack of information or mis-information. It seems you're wanting to condense them a bit more for simplicity, which is certainly understandable. My own opinion is that what is really needed is more awareness of these terms, and their respective meanings, in the population at large. Too many people are just tossing terms around without regard to their actual meaning, and this just results in confusion and in people re-defining the terms in their own minds which just results in them mis-using them even more, perpetuating the problem. It becomes a real train wreck.

I can understand the gist of what you're saying, I think (finally). My personal opinion is that people need more education, but how is this to be accomplished?

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
A dictated list of specific state controlled meanings for words isn't an original idea Drinking Beverage

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
There's also evolution of a language that one has to keep in mind. Over time, language will change, and this can possibly be expected to happen more rapidly in an information and technology age such as this.... well, in advanced nations anyway.

edit: dang, that sounded arrogant, but that wasn't my intention. fail.

[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM
(04-05-2014 01:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Why you guys are arguing with a guy who simply doesn't understand that an atheist is just someone who is not a theist, no matter how many times he is told, is beyond me.
Because it is a subject that they are very confident that they know - people only ignore discussions that they are incompetent in.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
04-05-2014, 02:02 PM
(04-05-2014 02:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 01:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Why you guys are arguing with a guy who simply doesn't understand that an atheist is just someone who is not a theist, no matter how many times he is told, is beyond me.
Because it is a subject that they are very confident that they know - people only ignore discussions that they are incompetent in.

On the whole that's probably true but I think nothing of diving in and asking questions on a new subject.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
04-05-2014, 02:23 PM
(04-05-2014 01:22 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Yeah, you guys are not in agreement as to the definitions, and there are plenty of discussions that this is a prevalent situation - atheists do not agree as to what the definitions are for the words most important to their discussions.
Doh! No of course we don't agree on definitions. The only thing we agree on is that none of us are theists. That's the whole point you see and what I have been trying to tell you all along. But for some unfathomable reason people keep insisting that atheism is a "political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy". A doctrine is "a codification of beliefs or a body of teachings or instructions, taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system." And we don't even agree on definitions and certainly don't have any common beliefs or a body of teachings or instructions, taught principles or positions, a body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system. Not being a theist is all we all have in common.
[+] 3 users Like Artie's post