Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
Trainwreck is an apt username, considering his posts are just that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Foxen's post
04-05-2014, 02:37 PM
(04-05-2014 01:39 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  . . . of course, my theory is that we can standardize the definitions for all discussions; and subsequently that will lead to the better exercise and recognition of reason and the solutions to social problems.
The standard definition of an atheist is "everybody who is not a theist". That is the only thing all atheists have in common. Not being theists. There is nothing else all atheists have in common.
04-05-2014, 02:40 PM
(04-05-2014 02:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 01:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Why you guys are arguing with a guy who simply doesn't understand that an atheist is just someone who is not a theist, no matter how many times he is told, is beyond me.
Because it is a subject that they are very confident that they know - people only ignore discussions that they are incompetent in.

He is saying something interesting, he's just not saying it well.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-05-2014, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 03:01 PM by Charis.)
And all too often, he's not saying it very nicely either. To say that people just ignore discussions they're incompetent in? I mean... excuse me, but there are so many discussions around here, I will not let a train wreck declare participation an intellectual qualifier. No. Screw that. Now excuse me, I have some laundry to do.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
04-05-2014, 02:49 PM
(04-05-2014 02:45 PM)Charis Wrote:  I mean... excuse me, but there are so many discussions around here.

To be honest, there are more nonsensical topics around here that have nothing to do with religion that tend to get more attention than the serious religious topics.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
04-05-2014, 02:56 PM
(04-05-2014 02:37 PM)Artie Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 01:39 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  . . . of course, my theory is that we can standardize the definitions for all discussions; and subsequently that will lead to the better exercise and recognition of reason and the solutions to social problems.
The standard definition of an atheist is "everybody who is not a theist". That is the only thing all atheists have in common. Not being theists. There is nothing else all atheists have in common.

He's arguing there is a dogmatic group of shared beliefs between all atheists, which is obviously untrue.

So then he proposes an alternate definition for atheism, and argues all atheists should re-identify as "humanists," even if they aren't humanists.

If he can't compose an interesting argument in a way that makes sense, and is complaining while insulting no one can decipher the word spaghetti, and now pretending he's "conducting
an experiment on atheists" to show they all share beliefs" I'm not sure how any interesting discussion can happen with all the trolling.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 4 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
04-05-2014, 02:57 PM
(04-05-2014 01:48 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Why you guys are arguing with a guy who simply doesn't understand that an atheist is just someone who is not a theist, no matter how many times he is told, is beyond me.
Because it is a subject that they are very confident that they know - people only ignore discussions that they are incompetent in.

I am very very very confident that an atheist is not a theist, as that is what it means and nothing more. Your confidence on the other hand is misplaced.
[+] 3 users Like joben1's post
04-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Actually, I find the opposite to be more true for me. If I think I have all the answers, I am less interested in discussing, it as I feel no motivation to seek out the ideas and reasoning of others on the subject. I am drawn more to discussions when I think I know enough to follow and have formed thoughts on the subject, but not to the point that I no longer feel I have use for the insights and contributions of others to compare against and further refine my own thoughts.
04-05-2014, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 03:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-05-2014 02:45 PM)Charis Wrote:  And all too often, he's not saying it very nicely either. So say that people just ignore discussions they're incompetent in? I mean... excuse me, but there are so many discussions around here, I will not let a train wreck declare participation an intellectual qualifier. No. Screw that. Now excuse me, I have some laundry to do.

Never said he was a nice man. He's a beggar living on the streets of NYC surviving off the generosity of others and the State. ... And clever witty signs. ... Don't mean I dismiss out of hand what he has to say. ... some of his bullshit actually makes sense to me. ... not the redefinition of atheism as a political agenda though.

[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]

#sigh
04-05-2014, 03:08 PM
I would say that this is "cute but irrelevant as all hell," but that would land me in the seas of hypocrisy, as I'm not exactly known for NOT turning threads into e-orgies.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.