Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 12:05 PM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(05-05-2014 12:02 PM)wazzel Wrote:  This horse was dead days ago, stop beating it you are just making a mess.

If we turn said dead horse over enough we should get compost.

In other words, the potential for at least some useful sh!t.

Big Grin

Much cheers to all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Tough meat. Must tenderize.
Commence beating.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
05-05-2014, 12:19 PM
(05-05-2014 11:55 AM)Charis Wrote:  I guess sucking your dick would be my substitute for thought, as you've done the thinking for me?
Are you a really good looking LBGT???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
05-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I am not LBGT OR LGBT, though I do have my deviant side.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
05-05-2014, 12:34 PM
(05-05-2014 02:37 AM)Artie Wrote:  Pretty accurate except that atheism isn't disbelief in god but absence of belief in gods. Some atheists also disbelieve in gods.

You just want to be a pain in the ass???

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
(05-05-2014 12:19 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 11:55 AM)Charis Wrote:  I guess sucking your dick would be my substitute for thought, as you've done the thinking for me?
Are you a really good looking LBGT???

Why bother, most of the thread has been dedicated to TrainWreck demonstrating his self-deepthroating method.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
05-05-2014, 01:22 PM
(05-05-2014 11:30 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Anybody want to suck my dick?
As if anybody could find it. Laughat
Somebody had to say it.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I know. I have the extreme narcissistic habit of keeping it to myself.

05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
(05-05-2014 11:45 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:08 AM)natachan Wrote:  1) atheism, the disbelief in god
2) humanism, a belief in the importance of human beings and their power to act towards the betterment of humanity
3) secularism, the value of separating church and state
I think secularism covers more than church and state, and I think your exercise of a negative connotation in 'separation' is not a good description if their is no term contraction.

No, natachan is pretty accurate.
Quote:Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-05-2014, 02:03 PM
[quote='Chas' pid='562061' dateline='1399318716']No, natachan is pretty accurate.
[quote]
Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people.[/quote][/quote]

I prefer the next description, but I think it still lacks conciseness:
[quote='wikipedia
The term "secularism" was first used by the British writer George Jacob Holyoake in 1851.[5] Although the term was new, the general notions of freethought on which it was based had existed throughout history.
Holyoake invented the term "secularism" to describe his views of promoting a social order separate from religion, without actively dismissing or criticizing religious belief. An agnostic himself, Holyoake argued that "Secularism is not an argument against Christianity, it is one independent of it. It does not question the pretensions of Christianity; it advances others. Secularism does not say there is no light or guidance elsewhere, but maintains that there is light and guidance in secular truth, whose conditions and sanctions exist independently, and act forever. Secular knowledge is manifestly that kind of knowledge which is founded in this life, which relates to the conduct of this life, conduces to the welfare of this life, and is capable of being tested by the experience of this life."/quote]