Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 11:53 AM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:34 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Sure no problem. Please provide the fourm with the definiton of god that all thiest agree on and we can proceed.

That's exactly right. Although atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, when it comes to standardizing semantics for standardizing reason - atheists are going to leave it to the Christians.

You want to quit the dumb shit and get to work on this, because they will, and atheists will be charged with having failed in the effort

So I take it you are not going to even try to provide a definition of god all thiest can agree on? If you are going to ask for some thing you better be willing to provide the same in return or pack up and go home. I know why you are not answering, do you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2014, 11:57 AM
(28-04-2014 11:44 AM)natachan Wrote:  If you ever make a claim, I can discuss it. But your attitude suggests this would be a waste of my time. You claim to be smarter than all of us and lack any sense that we might have valid points to make. This means you are incapable of true discussion.

Perhaps an ounce of humility might be in order. Realize that you MIGHT be wrong from time to time.
I'm not wrong about this semantics problem that I am describing. I have years of research and I put a lot of effort into the reasoning of my arguments.

Go through the discussion and you will see that I have received the ad homonym attacks first, and I can get past it to present further arguments; where as, the attackers cannot handle it, because my arguments are correct. I practice humility in the more personal transactions of life.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-04-2014, 11:57 AM
(28-04-2014 11:53 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  That's exactly right. Although atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, when it comes to standardizing semantics for standardizing reason - atheists are going to leave it to the Christians.

You want to quit the dumb shit and get to work on this, because they will, and atheists will be charged with having failed in the effort

So I take it you are not going to even try to provide a definition of god all thiest can agree on? If you are going to ask for some thing you better be willing to provide the same in return or pack up and go home. I know why you are not answering, do you?

It must be because he's so right, and we're incredibly wrong and destined for hellfire right?

right?

At least it's not just a drive-by theist.
28-04-2014, 12:00 PM
(28-04-2014 11:53 AM)wazzel Wrote:  So I take it you are not going to even try to provide a definition of god all thiest can agree on? If you are going to ask for some thing you better be willing to provide the same in return or pack up and go home. I know why you are not answering, do you?
I cannot think like a theist - I'm a humanist - I do not believe in the existence of a god. The best I can up with is a definition of god for atheists to understand how theists use "God" - the entity of all of human knowledge and undefined phenomenon.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-04-2014, 12:03 PM
(28-04-2014 11:47 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  When I come back to you, I will be providing citations for terms like; -
Atheist
Anti-theist etc;
You want to discuss semantics, then.

(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Also, I specifically stated that I do NOT wish to play a semantics game, so the 'I know you are but what am I?' Debate tactic would be best left on the playground I think. I hope you agree.
You do not know what you are talking about - this debate/discussion is about semantics.

I agree that any discussion regarding a christian god is going to come ridden with semantics because that is the nightmare the christian religion manifests. The near endless list of doctrines, specifics, religious-what-nots, and the ever faithful ridiculous, laborious list of denominations are proof of the insanity which is Christianity. Of course anything remotely attached to a discussion of the Christian God is bejeweled and full-blown-virus semantics.

but

those semantics belong to them.............the Christians.

Atheists have zero to do with that.
Never have.
Never will.

Which is what makes a conversation between the two camps so difficult.

Christians want to play in the sand box but they have to drag Sooooo many pails and shovels and sandy widgets and towels, and flip flops and sunscreen and umbrellas and sammiches, gallons of drink, nose clips, ear plugs and pool floats and toys etc etc etc into the game..........
you can't even SEE the sandbox anymore.

to the left
the atheists ---- happily sitting in the sand. On the beach. No pail. No shovel. No umbrella or doo-dads. No widgets, No problems..........
not even a box

Now..........
which is clearer?

which is pure and simple?

and what is the complicated mess?
Oh is that umbrella stripped? Fuck that - only umbrellas with poka-dots are the Right umbrellas! Is that sunscreen 30? That's bullshit. OUR sunscreen is 60+......
and on and on and on.........

So yeah
Christians and SEMANTICS go hand in hand. Fo sho!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:34 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Sure no problem. Please provide the fourm with the definiton of god that all thiest agree on and we can proceed.

That's exactly right. Although atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, when it comes to standardizing semantics for standardizing reason - atheists are going to leave it to the Christians.

Xtians don't dictate what reason is now, moron. And you don't speak for atheists as a group. One doesn't have to know shit about science and reason to see for him/herself that The Emperor Has No Fucking Clothes.

Quote:You want to quit the dumb shit and get to work on this, because they will, and atheists will be charged with having failed in the effort

What you fail to understand -- because you are completely ignorant of history -- is that in the West the xtian church DID dictate what passed for reason over a thousand years ago. That changed with the Age of Enlightenment. You are a little late there, sport.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
I'll grant you one thing, that last part of your defintion is good, that it's used to explain things we don't understand by some.

Other than that this whole topic has just been inflamatory, and ultimately pointless.
28-04-2014, 12:04 PM
(28-04-2014 11:57 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:44 AM)natachan Wrote:  If you ever make a claim, I can discuss it. But your attitude suggests this would be a waste of my time. You claim to be smarter than all of us and lack any sense that we might have valid points to make. This means you are incapable of true discussion.

Perhaps an ounce of humility might be in order. Realize that you MIGHT be wrong from time to time.
I'm not wrong about this semantics problem that I am describing. I have years of research and I put a lot of effort into the reasoning of my arguments.

Go through the discussion and you will see that I have received the ad homonym attacks first, and I can get past it to present further arguments; where as, the attackers cannot handle it, because my arguments are correct. I practice humility in the more personal transactions of life.

Yes, you are wrong. You have made blanket statements about atheists which are categorically WRONG. Atheism and anti-theism are not the same thing. I agree that ad hominum attacks are unproductive, but the fact is you are WRONG on this point and continue to ignore arguments to the contrary then INSIST that you just know better and we're all idiots.
28-04-2014, 12:05 PM
(28-04-2014 12:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:53 AM)wazzel Wrote:  So I take it you are not going to even try to provide a definition of god all thiest can agree on? If you are going to ask for some thing you better be willing to provide the same in return or pack up and go home. I know why you are not answering, do you?
I cannot think like a theist - I'm a humanist - I do not believe in the existence of a god. The best I can up with is a definition of god for atheists to understand how theists use "God" - the entity of all of human knowledge and undefined phenomenon.

Lots of us were thiest at some point in time so we have an idea about how some groups deal with the idea of god.

You look like you are going to be extreemly difficult to deal with so I will treat you like I treat other difficult people.

See-ya.
28-04-2014, 12:06 PM
(28-04-2014 11:57 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

Drich says the same sort of thing. Years of spinning your wheels doesn't get you anywhere.

Quote:Go through the discussion and you will see that I have received the ad homonym attacks first, and I can get past it to present further arguments; where as, the attackers cannot handle it, because my arguments are correct. I practice humility in the more personal transactions of life.

HipTip: Bleating over and over about how right you think you are doesn't make you right. Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop