Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 02:23 AM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(05-05-2014 05:05 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 04:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  That quote pretty much says that secularism ignores religion, considering only that which is founded in this life.
Are you claiming that religion is not founded in this life - you think religion is founded by god???

So is "Secularism," the term for what I am defining "Atheism?"

You know that religion is man-made, I know that religion is man-made, but the religionists claim it is divine - that it is revealed. So it is not of this life.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
(05-05-2014 05:05 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  So is "Secularism," the term for what I am defining "Atheism?"

So, you don't already know this, you who deign to define everything for us all? Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
06-05-2014, 09:34 AM
(06-05-2014 09:26 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 05:05 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  So is "Secularism," the term for what I am defining "Atheism?"
So, you don't already know this, you who deign to define everything for us all? Hobo

Then atheists are going to incur some major problems. Since the United States government is classified as a secular republic, and that means Christians cannot assert their morality into law, they will have standing to charge a complaint of fraud against the sovereignty of the Constitution; and it will be further supported by the fact that their are now, institutionalized disagreement to the understanding of the document, indicating that it is in the breach among the people.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-05-2014, 10:11 AM
[Image: CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg]

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
06-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Thread moved to Mellee because it's really where it belongs.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-05-2014, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 10:41 AM by Mathilda.)
OK if you're so clever then answer this.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

This is a very real question asked many times on this forum. Google the following to see for yourself.

"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood" site:thethinkingatheist.com

[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
06-05-2014, 10:40 AM
(06-05-2014 09:34 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Then atheists are going to incur some major problems. Since the United States government is classified as a secular republic

Most atheists don't live in the United States.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
(06-05-2014 10:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 09:34 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Then atheists are going to incur some major problems. Since the United States government is classified as a secular republic

Most atheists don't live in the United States.

Well, well, well, what does that mean - are atheists in control of other nation-states and provide the atheists with a better life and community, or do they find themselves envious of the U.S. economy, and polity?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
(06-05-2014 10:38 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  OK if you're so clever then answer this.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

This is a very real question asked many times on this forum. Google the following to see for yourself.

"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood" site:thethinkingatheist.com

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
06-05-2014, 04:23 PM
(06-05-2014 11:08 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Well, well, well, what does that mean -

Um... I would hazard a guess as exactly as the words are written? That many, such as including myself, live no were near the United States and yet identify themselves as being 'Atheist"

(06-05-2014 11:08 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  ...are atheists in control of other nation-states...

Not to my very limited knowledge. I'm sure some one might come along and be able to find relevant 'Polling'/'Census' data.

(06-05-2014 11:08 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  ....and provide the atheists with a better life and community,

Again, 'Quality of life' is a very subjective thing. I think some tropical island communities in some ways would have a better quality of life simply due to the fact that they live in much better climates than others. An anecdotal story from me is from a Tourist venue owner. Who basically said that it is hard to kep staff permanently as the locals simply have the option of living off the local fruit/fish etc right out side their doors and not having to bother to come to work when they do not feel like it.

(06-05-2014 11:08 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  ....or do they find themselves envious of the U.S. economy, and polity?

I admit there are some aspects of the American life style that I find interesting/curious. There are other aspects where I' am quite, if not more than, happy to call mine own.

Of course, other than with vitriol, you have seemingly forgotten/not answered all of my replies/requests. I expect to be glossed over and forgotten again, as would seem to be the usual case. Though I would be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Much cheers to all.