Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 12:09 PM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(28-04-2014 12:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:53 AM)wazzel Wrote:  So I take it you are not going to even try to provide a definition of god all thiest can agree on? If you are going to ask for some thing you better be willing to provide the same in return or pack up and go home. I know why you are not answering, do you?
I cannot think like a theist - I'm a humanist - I do not believe in the existence of a god. The best I can up with is a definition of god for atheists to understand how theists use "God" - the entity of all of human knowledge and undefined phenomenon.

There are thousands if not millions of definitions of "gods". None of them are the same. It is not up to us to define their imaginary and mythical figures for them. This is where you fail.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-04-2014, 12:17 PM
(28-04-2014 12:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I cannot think like a theist - I'm a humanist - I do not believe in the existence of a god. The best I can up with is a definition of god for atheists to understand how theists use "God" - the entity of all of human knowledge and undefined phenomenon.

There are thousands if not millions of definitions of "gods". None of them are the same. It is not up to us to define their imaginary and mythical figures for them. This is where you fail.
I doubt if there are thousands of definitions that would be legitimate, that is guarded by a group in perpetuation.

I clearly stated that I was not defining "god" for theists - I was way ahead of you - genius.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-04-2014, 12:19 PM
(28-04-2014 12:06 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  HipTip: Bleating over and over about how right you think you are doesn't make you right. Hobo
So you are just as confident, and your solution is that the majority wins and defines reality???

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
28-04-2014, 12:20 PM
(28-04-2014 12:17 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  There are thousands if not millions of definitions of "gods". None of them are the same. It is not up to us to define their imaginary and mythical figures for them. This is where you fail.
I doubt if there are thousands of definitions that would be legitimate, that is guarded by a group in perpetuation.

I clearly stated that I was not defining "god" for theists - I was way ahead of you - genius.

K
So Go GRAB the theist definition of God so we can move along with what it is you're driving at.
Enough with the pulling out your dick and taking a wee on the bushes around our house.

Bring definition you want to tackle so we CAN make the advanced conversation regarding semantics or lack thereof.

**fucking YAWN already**

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
28-04-2014, 12:22 PM
(28-04-2014 12:19 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:06 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  HipTip: Bleating over and over about how right you think you are doesn't make you right. Hobo
So you are just as confident, and your solution is that the majority wins and defines reality???

Fuck. Me. Runnin.

Now you want to define REALITY??? Honey do you just grab a word out of a sentence and run full-hog with it? No wonder you get all caught up in semantics; not even of your own making. You can't seem to talk straight. Much less think straight.

dude.......
you need to get a grip.

Read through YOUR own posts and look for what we call 'move the goal-post' methodology. You be a classic fucking example.BlinkBlink

LMAO

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
28-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Atheism = understanding this image

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2afZTpJAkGIoDjkcR6NC...wi2fczJxZw]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
28-04-2014, 12:31 PM
[Image: golaposts2.jpg]

Nothing to see here....
[+] 4 users Like Dyer51's post
28-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Having read a bunch of your posts in various threads, I'm not sure what your overarching thesis is (atheists should invest their time in something more useful?), but to have a take on this:

(28-04-2014 11:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I need to know the definitions of the following words that atheists agree are correct:
  1. atheism
  2. humanism
  3. secularism
  4. religion
  5. belief
  6. worship

and this:

(28-04-2014 11:47 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  [...] this debate/discussion is about semantics.

There are these things called dictionaries, the compilers of which make their living by trying to come up with the appropriate answers (= the answer that most people would agree with). If the answers provided by them are not satisfactory, anybody is free to introduce their own definitions at the risk of being misunderstood, and this is one reason why the meaning of words (how most people would perceive it) changes over time. Semantics is little more but a trade-off between intelligibility and laziness, so having a debate about it seems rather pointless.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
28-04-2014, 12:33 PM
(28-04-2014 12:04 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yes, you are wrong. You have made blanket statements about atheists which are categorically WRONG. Atheism and anti-theism are not the same thing.
Good luck finding where I did that. Here's the post.
(28-04-2014 11:02 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 10:09 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  The position opposed to religion politically in my view, is anti-theism. As a human being, I define myself as more than one thing. I am an atheist who has an anti-theist political agenda.
Well, that's not wrong - it's just kind of redundant, because you want to play a semantic diversion.

(28-04-2014 10:09 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  2. You seem to hold the view that arguing about the existence of God is a small thing in the grand scheme of things and that anti-theism (or atheism, I don't see the point in debating semantics) is not organised politically?

(28-04-2014 12:04 PM)natachan Wrote:  I agree that ad hominum attacks are unproductive, but the fact is you are WRONG on this point and continue to ignore arguments to the contrary then INSIST that you just know better and we're all idiots.
I'm right, and you are all - wrong. How do you want to solve this disagreement? So far the only argument has been about the definition of "atheism," and I have presented the argument using ontological reasoning to assert that humanism is the proper ontological "reciprocal" to theism, and that atheism is a political doctrine that opposes law based on theist religious doctrine. It is nothing to worry about, it is going to straighten out the problems that atheists have in their reasoning.

The only thing to worry about is if the Christians implement the corrections before atheists.

28-04-2014, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 12:37 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(28-04-2014 12:19 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

Yes. The users of the language define the words they use. They even publish a book with the meanings of those words, called a dictionary.

Nowadays, you can google search for definitions of words.

Here's the definition again:

Quote:a·the·ism
ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
synonyms: nonbelief, disbelief, unbelief, irreligion, skepticism, doubt, agnosticism; More
Origin

late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god.’

The dictionary disagrees with you. Open a book sometime.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post