Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 01:30 PM
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(28-04-2014 01:23 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 01:05 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Atheists are political, and usually deny it in favor of a faulty ontological description. Atheists need to accept that their designation, "atheism," is a political doctrine opposed to theist religious based law - which is what atheist organizations do - oppose theist based law - civil rights for atheists.

No. Not all atheists care about religious based laws. That is secularism. Atheism is a rejection of theism. It is a disbelief in god. No more. No less

I just do not think he grasps what atheism is.............
my sandbox explanation was just so lost on him. lol

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2014, 01:33 PM
(28-04-2014 12:17 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  There are thousands if not millions of definitions of "gods". None of them are the same. It is not up to us to define their imaginary and mythical figures for them. This is where you fail.
I doubt if there are thousands of definitions that would be legitimate, that is guarded by a group in perpetuation.

There are some 30 thousand denominations of xtianity alone. Hinduism alone has thousands of deities. You don't know much about what goes on outside of your head, do you.

Quote:I clearly stated that I was not defining "god" for theists - I was way ahead of you - genius.

That isn't even a coherent idea. You suffer from a massive Dunning-Krueger delusion. And yes, I am a fucking genius.

(28-04-2014 12:19 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:06 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  HipTip: Bleating over and over about how right you think you are doesn't make you right. Hobo
So you are just as confident, and your solution is that the majority wins and defines reality???

Strawman much, asshole?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-04-2014, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 01:54 PM by John.)
(28-04-2014 12:59 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:32 PM)John Wrote:  There are these things called dictionaries, the compilers of which make their living by trying to come up with the appropriate answers (= the answer that most people would agree with). If the answers provided by them are not satisfactory, anybody is free to introduce their own definitions at the risk of being misunderstood, and this is one reason why the meaning of words (how most people would perceive it) changes over time. Semantics is little more but a trade-off between intelligibility and laziness, so having a debate about it seems rather pointless.
I am preparing the thesis/book concerning this, and I am probably going to introduce the atheist opposition that you are so proud of. How you point to dictionary definitions with out addressing the ontological arguments is like Christians pointing to Bible verses with out addressing your ontological arguments.

Your response is unintelligible. I have no idea what "this" is that you're preparing a book about, but maybe the book will straighten things up. And since I hardly oppose to anything but the inherent silliness of debating semantics, and wihtout anykind of pride as far as I can tell, I take it you refer to atheists in general and to some opposition to something that has nothing or little to do with anything I posted. And having skimmed some 50 posts of yours, I have yet to understand what you're talking about as far as the ontological arguments go.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
28-04-2014, 01:39 PM
(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:34 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Sure no problem. Please provide the fourm with the definiton of god that all thiest agree on and we can proceed.

That's exactly right. Although atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, when it comes to standardizing semantics for standardizing reason - atheists are going to leave it to the Christians.

Wait. You're saying atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, and then you complain that we are the ones who have to define "god"? How exactly is "god" under the umbrella of science and reason?

If you are going to assert a god exists, then it's up to you to define it. If you don't define it, I don't need to take the things you say about it seriously. The rest of the world will go on just fine without wasting effort defining "god" for you and it certainly doesn't owe your half-formed ideas any time or attention.
28-04-2014, 01:39 PM
(28-04-2014 01:26 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Nope.
I never ONCE asked YOU to define God Nor did I ever call YOU a theist.

methinks you're not reading too well today.

Thus my suggestion that your reading comprehension might be off. I can answer you back all day long and we can all continue to watch you pee around the bushes here at our house.
But that won't make you ANY more correct in your assumptions. No matter how many times you arrogantly type how RIGHT you think yourself to be. That won't make it real.

You can, however, continue to stroke your own ego. Sure............ that'll turn back time and put you in a rational discussion. You know........the discussion you blew past in your bubble of self-satisfaction and denial. I hope for your sake you at least decorated your bubble with pretty colors and maybe piped in some music.

My brilliant descriptions are just so so very lost on you. Aren't they?
LMAO
Yuk... you need mental help.There were three posts about Christians definition of god that made no sense to this discussion, along with the others. The only one that made sense was the reality one, and I responded.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-04-2014, 01:41 PM
(28-04-2014 01:39 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  That's exactly right. Although atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, when it comes to standardizing semantics for standardizing reason - atheists are going to leave it to the Christians.

Wait. You're saying atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, and then you complain that we are the ones who have to define "god"? How exactly is "god" under the umbrella of science and reason?

If you are going to assert a god exists, then it's up to you to define it. If you don't define it, I don't need to take the things you say about it seriously. The rest of the world will go on just fine without wasting effort defining "god" for you and it certainly doesn't owe your half-formed ideas any time or attention.
What the fuck are you talking about? I do not assert that there is a god.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
28-04-2014, 01:47 PM

28-04-2014, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 01:54 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(28-04-2014 12:33 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:04 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yes, you are wrong. You have made blanket statements about atheists which are categorically WRONG. Atheism and anti-theism are not the same thing.
Good luck finding where I did that.

Here's just ONE out of many:

(28-04-2014 11:41 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:34 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Sure no problem. Please provide the fourm with the definiton of god that all thiest agree on and we can proceed.

That's exactly right. Although atheists proclaim the importance of science and reason, when it comes to standardizing semantics for standardizing reason - atheists are going to leave it to the Christians.
You want to quit the dumb shit and get to work on this, because they will, and atheists will be charged with having failed in the effort

Fucking moron.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-04-2014, 01:49 PM

28-04-2014, 02:41 PM
(28-04-2014 01:15 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I don't mean to be rude here, but do you have some sort of learning disability preventing you from understanding the structure of the sentence:

Quote:"atheism," is a political doctrine opposed to theist religious based law

Hello again.

Happily typing upon a real key-board comfortable, at home. Big Grin

Firstly, I did explain my constraints in how I was addressing yourself.

I asked you twice for clarification and your third reply seems to be,

"Are you stupid?"

However, if the question of your third reply was perhaps in regards to my educational level, then I openly and freely admit to not developing any farther than the twelfth year of schooling in my country.

So, simply, no... I do not understand the structure of your sentence. Any more than I understand the meaning of your sentence.

This is why I asked you for clarification of what you had typed/posted.

Feel free to change the structure of your sentence...heck, even use different words.

I'll let you know how I go at understanding your next post.

Edit: I am also noticing blank posts...Is there something wrong some where?

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post