Let's define atheism, and other misnomers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2014, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 06:48 AM by TrainWreck.)
RE: Let's define atheism, and other misnomers
(08-05-2014 01:42 AM)djhall Wrote:  Okay, I am rather confused about one thing. If I personally posit a supernatural entity creates and defines reality, but I am opposed to theist doctrine in public policy, am I a theist, an atheist, or an atheist theist? Huh

Confused is right. "Deist" would be the correct designation - stupid pretentious bitch.

Quote:Deism (i/ˈdiː.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/) is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a Creator, accompanied with the rejection of revelation and authority as a source of religious knowledge.

Deism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity created the cosmos

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2014, 07:10 AM
(08-05-2014 06:40 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 01:42 AM)djhall Wrote:  Okay, I am rather confused about one thing. If I personally posit a supernatural entity creates and defines reality, but I am opposed to theist doctrine in public policy, am I a theist, an atheist, or an atheist theist? Huh

Confused is right. "Deist" would be the correct designation - stupid pretentious bitch.

The socialization of collecting as a cultural practice performs the culture of the materialist architectonic - you crazy fucking asshole.

Quote:Deism (i/ˈdiː.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/) is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a Creator, accompanied with the rejection of revelation and authority as a source of religious knowledge.

Deism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity created the cosmos

The marketing of narrative sequence allegorizes the invention of paratextual apparatus.

08-05-2014, 02:34 PM

What does your system say about the nature of being too uptight and hypersensitive to appreciate, or at least react reasonably, to a little lighthearted silliness when you see it?

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
08-05-2014, 03:33 PM

TrainWreck, you really gotta get a hold on your definitions. We're supposed to accept a dictionary definition of deism when you reject the dictionary definition of atheism?

Why are deism ontological doctrines, but atheism a political doctrine?

You're calling another forumer "confused" when your own special definition of atheism is cribbed from Secularism:

Quote:Secularism
For other uses, see Secular (disambiguation).
Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people.[Notes 1] Another manifestation of secularism is the view that public activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be uninfluenced by religious beliefs and/or practices.[1][Notes 2]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularism

You really need to lay off the inhalants, dude. Kills brain cells.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post