Let's get rid of imperial unit system!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Let's get rid of imperial unit system!
How to teach the metric system well:

"Money are metric. The buck, ten bucks, hundred, and grand are just the same thing x10. Try giving back change in foot dollars and inch coins for one mile dollar banknote and twenty yard banknotes."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
28-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Funny thing that you guys cling to the British system of measurement when the British have moved further toward metrication themselves.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
28-10-2013, 04:52 PM
(27-10-2013 10:13 PM)Youkay Wrote:  The imperial unit system is just stupid!

1 foot is 12 inch,
and 1 yard is 3 feet, so 36 inches
1 chain are 22 yards, or 66 feet, or 792 inches
1 mile are 80 chains, are 1760 yards, or 5280 feet, or 62260 inches

And how many inches is 2.83 yards? WTF?!

I was reminded that how stupid the imperial system is because of this thread.

[Image: science.png]

Then we couldn't make perverse 5 dollar foot-long jokes anymore... Sad
28-10-2013, 05:10 PM
(27-10-2013 10:13 PM)Youkay Wrote:  The imperial unit system is just stupid!

1 foot is 12 inch,
and 1 yard is 3 feet, so 36 inches
1 chain are 22 yards, or 66 feet, or 792 inches
1 mile are 80 chains, are 1760 yards, or 5280 feet, or 62260 inches

And how many inches is 2.83 yards? WTF?!

I was reminded that how stupid the imperial system is because of this thread.

[Image: science.png]

I'd be lying if I said that I never wondered what the fuck the US was thinking by keeping (hanging on to?) the Imperial measurements... Then again, I once found myself wondering who the fuck thought it'd be a great idea to measure in odd intervals (12 inches a foot, 3 foot in a yard etc.)...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-10-2013, 06:36 PM
If God wanted us to use the metric system, he would have given us ten fingers.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 7 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
28-10-2013, 07:15 PM
No more mathSadcryface ...please, please... Weeping

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I love this topic!

I teach a blueprint reading class at a local community college and I go to great pains to always stress how much easier it would be to use the metric system as opposed to always work in feet and inches. Studs are spaced 16 inches apart. That is a difficult number to divide into a wall that's 24 feet long.

Surveyors do us one worse by converting feet and inches to decimal feet! So 8 feet 4 inches becomes 8.33 feet. 8 feet 6 inches becomes 8.50 feet, etc. Then we get to convert back and forth.

I also teach construction math to a group of high school students. There are usually some Automotive Technology students in the class. I use this example. Imagine you're under the car changing the oil. You take a 1/2" and a 3/4" socket with you. One's too big, one's too small, what size do you need? It could be 9/16, 5/8, or 11/16, right? Because THAT'S easy! OR you could take a 12mm and a 15mm socket. One's too small and one's too big, what size do you need? That's right, 13 OR 14.

MATH IS HARD!
28-10-2013, 07:51 PM
There has never been a problem using both systems together.

They are happy tree friends like, Islam and Christianity.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-10-2013, 08:02 PM
The only places I see imperial being used is to measure the height and weight of a person, or in construction. And in both situations it's because most of the adult population grew up in the old system, not for anything nearing practicality, since metric is superior in every way.

One common complaint I hear is that people can't visualize height in centimetres. When visualizing height, is there much of a difference between 5'10" or 5'11"? No, there isn't. Nobody sees someone and can immediately tell their height to the nearest inch. It's the same with centimetres; you round. If someone is said to be 183 cm, you visualize 180 cm. And visualizing 10 cm blocks is easy. If you have problems with that, use the quarters-of-a-metre-stick method. For someone who's completely helpless and can't count to 20, the difference between their rounded figure using the method and the actual figure is only 3 inches. That's sufficient to function in society. If you need to know to the nearest centimetre you'll be using a measuring tape any way, so your visualization problem is irrelevant.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
28-10-2013, 08:11 PM
in Australia the farming areas use mile an Acres lot still. it just rolls off the tounge nicer .
A couple of miles down the road vs A couple of Kilometers
I get good mileage vs I get good kilometerage.
Acres gives you > 2x the land mass.

I liken it to how we still claim to be dialing phone numbers when dial phones are long obsolete for most.
Sounds stupid saying I'll just press or punch his phone number.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".