Let's get some shoes! OMG Shoes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: Let's get some shoes! OMG Shoes!
[Image: SLIDE1.jpg]

From one of my favourite companies, L'Intervalle, beautiful, well-made shoes reasonably priced.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
15-06-2017, 01:10 PM
One of my actual favorite shoes by Alexander McQueen is a simple Oxford ...
[Image: Alexander-Mcqueen-shoes.jpg]
I still have a couple of pairs of these laying around - not McQueen, of course. Oxfords are some of the most comfortable and stylish shoe ever made. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Those are beautiful! The ones with the round front are weird, though. Tongue
15-06-2017, 01:17 PM
(15-06-2017 12:58 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  If you're ever in Toronto, you should check out the Bata Shoe Museum

" ...A rare and well-preserved velvet-covered platform chopine from 16th-century Italy is one of the treasures of the comprehensive collection of historic and contemporary fashion footwear, ranging from the Italian Renaissance to the catwalks of today’s designers. The chopine, so tall that the wearer could not walk unaided, provides an interesting complement to other outrageous styles endured by many over the centuries. In other words, Salvatore Ferragamo and Vivienne Westwood weren’t the first designers to think of platforms. Nor, if history teaches us anything, will they be the last... "

The upper class wore chopines mostly to walk above all the shit and muck in the streets.

When I design costumes for any play that's set anywhere before the 1930's the shoes are the most difficult part of the costume to reproduce. Most of the big Broadway shows have access to custom theatrical shoemakers who can cobble a 16th century shoe together if needed, but when one doesn't have that kind of budget or access it's a nightmare to make a modern shoe look like something from the 16th or 17th century. I've glued buckles and buttons and bows on modern shoes and cut up the heel to try and get as close to historically correct as possible but the silhouette isn't the same.

By the way, there was no left and right shoe up until about 1900. The very upper class did have custom made shoes but for most everyone else both shoes were the same.
They were made out of leather so they conformed to the foot. Ballet shoes, both soft and pointe shoes, are still this way today.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-06-2017, 01:20 PM
(15-06-2017 01:10 PM)Emma Wrote:  Those are beautiful! The ones with the round front are weird, though. Tongue
These ones?
[Image: alexander-mcqueen-armadillo-boots.jpg]
I think they are essentially like walking in a pointe shoe ...
[Image: 121_1.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Those are definitely interesting: I wonder how much of the inside is platform, is there space for your toes to lie flat inside?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
15-06-2017, 01:30 PM
(15-06-2017 01:20 PM)kim Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 01:10 PM)Emma Wrote:  Those are beautiful! The ones with the round front are weird, though. Tongue
These ones?
[Image: alexander-mcqueen-armadillo-boots.jpg]
I think they are essentially like walking in a pointe shoe ...
[Image: 121_1.jpg]

Probably, but with pointe shoes your body is up and over the point of the toe and even slightly forward and the pelvis is tucked under so the butt doesn't stick out the back, also the ribs are tucked under.

My toes look like farmer's hands from being on pointe and I have big ugly bunions. My feet ain't pretty even though I haven't been on pointe in many years. That's why I don't wear open toed shoes or even sandals. I cover up those ugly toes. Yes

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-06-2017, 01:35 PM
(15-06-2017 01:25 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Those are definitely interesting: I wonder how much of the inside is platform, is there space for your toes to lie flat inside?

I have to assume so - I've never had the chance to wear them.

In interviews, a few models have said they are quite comfortable. They also advise it takes a bit of practice to get used to walking in them.

I imagine they would put me up pretty high above where I'm not used to walking - like on stilts. I think it would be fun to try them! Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Oh! I almost forgot! Bill Nye the Science Guy patented a new kind of point shoe for ballet dancers. He was doing something that involved ballet for his science show (the physics of dance maybe?) and he noticed the dancers feet were bleeding and raw from the toes buckling over so he went and invented this!

[Image: billnyeedit.jpg]

In the first drawing the toe is buckling over so he put some some extra leather in the toe area ( #5) to keep that from happening. What a fun guy. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-06-2017, 01:45 PM
I have to guess there is room for the toes to flatten out in the McQueen "Armadillo" shoes (as they are known)
Here is a funny comparison...
[Image: Armadillo-Shoes.jpg]
Evidently, Louboutin felt the need to compete.
I think I prefer the Armadillos. Wink