Let's pretend that Civilization actually is an interesting story.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Let's pretend that Civilization actually is an interesting story.
I never played civil 5 but I played the shit out of civil 4. Awesome game. My old computer just can't handle civil 5
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Sorry guys, I'm ashamed and embarrassed. I have to admit that after I typed this out, I went to play more that night.

About 30 turns in, I found myself being pushed by Greece in the west and the Iroquois in the east. My position was not strong enough to give much in a peace treaty, nor was I strong enough to battle both nations. I found myself inescapably on the verge of losing my border cities and I lost the will to continue. "Rage quit" almost describes it, except it was much more sullen than that. I failed. I am no King.

Weeping

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-08-2014, 11:32 AM
(11-08-2014 06:46 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Sorry guys, I'm ashamed and embarrassed. I have to admit that after I typed this out, I went to play more that night.

About 30 turns in, I found myself being pushed by Greece in the west and the Iroquois in the east. My position was not strong enough to give much in a peace treaty, nor was I strong enough to battle both nations. I found myself inescapably on the verge of losing my border cities and I lost the will to continue. "Rage quit" almost describes it, except it was much more sullen than that. I failed. I am no King.

Weeping

If never lost it wouldn't be as rewarding when you win.
27-08-2014, 11:39 PM
(06-08-2014 01:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So I started a civ5 game on Saturday. Settings: King, raging barbarians, Marathon, random leader, random map, random, random number of opponents and city states, and random personalities. All victory modes enabled except time.

I am Korea (Sejong, I believe), and I start by immediately focusing on Science (i.e. technology). I build a great library to solidify myself as the technological leader of the world, but in doing so, I passed up the opportunity to have a religious stranglehold as I like to do. The Iroquois on the other hand focus fast and hard on religion, spreading Buddhism all around the world, all but completely nullifying my Shinto religion tithe bonus that I was looking forward to.

At the start I like to focus on building every wonder that is possible in my capital, and I did! But such a focus on wonders makes it hard to expand my empire. By 500 BC I only had built my second city (note that on marathon is several hundred turns in the game). By 200 or so AD, the Attila of the Huns monopolize the lands to the west of me with at least 15 cities, and the Iroquois monopolize the lands to the east of me with at least 10 cities. Clearly, somebody needs to die.

I had a pretty amicable relationship with my neighboring countries. Dido, Ghandi, Alexander the great, and Montezuma all liked me well enough due to our trade history and friendly declarations. But it was obvious that the Attila had a conqueror's mentality. He was a threat, and he set his sets on me sometime between 200 and 500 AD (I think). Of course I had very little offensive power to speak of, so I had to use my reserve gold stash to purchase walls, and my reserved faith power to recruit holy warriors (chariot archers) willing to die for their religion. With my archer garrisoned in my capital and my scouting units (warrior and a scout) resummoned to absorb damage, I was barely able to hold off Attila's advance of several battering rams, horse archers, and warriors. Once I deflected his attack though, I built up my strength and started demolishing his nearby cities. I had razed 3 or so cities to the ground when I saw Attila had re-gathered his forces and was prepared to march onto my second city, Busan. I retreated back to Busan, fleeing from Attila's army, when something terrible happened. The Iroquois declare war on me and coincidentally pincer attack Busan from the east while The Huns came from the west. This was a devastating blow. I used all of my resources (faith, gold) to fortify and defend Busan as best as I could. Ultimately I barely survived, almost all my units died and my City within inches of its life.

Luckily, both my Cities (Seoul and Busan) were production powerhouses and thanks to my focus on science, I now had access to my specialized unit, the Hwacha, which is essentially a trebuchet (catapult) with the offensive strength of a gatling gun against personnel (but it is not suited for attaching cities). My cities produced a formidable army of hwacha, and horsemen, and in doing so intimidated The Huns to the point where they sought peace between our nations. I agreed in an almost even peace treaty (I was in no situation to make demends). I turned my army towards the Iroquois and demolished 8 of their cities (by now they had about 16 cities). I even captured one of their largest cities, Grand River, and Annexed it into my own Kingdom. This city was at a critical strategic point, between their capital and my own, that would serve as my entry point into their Kingdom in the future. The Iroquois eventually surrendered, granting me 90 turns of 60 gold per turn for a peace treaty. Finally, there was peace.

Over the next couple hundred years I was warring on and off with the Huns and the Iroquois. I eventually took the Huns' second most populated city which gave me the foothold I needed to march onto their capital and take it as my own. I felt accomplished, until I realized that in the year 1500, I had spent so many resources controlling my neighboring countries, that the other countries in the game had started flourishing to a point beyond my power.

There are 12 nations on this giant Pangaea-like mass of land. The most powerful is now Alexander the great, who boasts an impressive 25 cities to the very far east (beyond the Huns) and an even more impressive GPT (Gold Per Turn) of over 400. Compared to my 5 great cities, and 100 GPT during my 500 year golden Age, he is a god. My religion, Shinto, is dismissed widely and Buddhism has taken over all nearby cities. Even though I recently sent two great prophets to both the Huns and the Iroquois (during a peace treaty) and eradicated Buddhism from 8 cities, including the Buddhist holy city to place my own Shinto as the religion I see that Buddhist pressure is rising quickly, and will overtake my religion in a matter of a few hundred years.

Right now there is peace, The Huns have been beaten down to the point where they are no threat and my relations with the Iroquois are weakly in tact only by virtue of a recent treaty.

Once this treaty is complete, my armies will gather and march through the captured city of Grand River, beyond the Great Wall erected by the Iroquois to take their capital. Within a few hundred years I will have researched Dynamite, rendering their wall useless. But once I defeat the Iroquois, Alexander the great and the Ottomans will still hold the most powerful positions in the world. I don't know if Korea has a chance. If it does, a Scientific victory may be my only option. Alexander has bought off the majority of the City-States, so a diplomatic victory is not realistic.

I'm 1000 turns in.

You just really really REALLY made me want to buy this game