Let's remember a «real» saint

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Let's remember a «real» saint
We all know the story of Mother Theresa, the albanese nun who became one of the most famous saint of the Catholic Church. Despite or perhapse because of her fame, we all know she had a dark side so imposing she could gain the title of Sith Lord, but for once, lets talk about people we can truly call saint AKA the best a human being can be morally speaking (not necessarly religious or canonized).

Mine also happenned to be a actual Saint of the Catholic Church. His name was Maximillian Kolbe. He became famous for writting against the Nazi regime in Poland, hide and protected hundreds of Jews and resistence fighter. He was arrested twice, but refused to bow down to the threats of the Gestapo. He was later sent to Auschwitz where he preached and offered moral support to the prisonners. He was beaten several times for it, but kept on going. He died by willingly taking the place of a young father and polish resistence fighter who was sent to die of starvation with 14 others after an evasion. His request flabbergasted the SS officer, but wasn't denied. He hang on to life ofr 14 days, greatly irritating the Nazi, until they decided to poison him. He was canonized as a martyr in 1982 and received the nicknamed of St. Maximillian «Stone» Kolbe. That's one dude I that's worth remembering. You can read his short biographie in the book People of Auschwitz available for free on internet thanks to the Holocost Museum of New York. What's yours?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like epronovost's post
06-08-2016, 11:14 AM
RE: Let's remember a «real» saint
When I saw the title, I thought of a Radiolab episode that mentioned Paul Erdős, mathematician. In the segment about him someone refers to him as a saint.

The Radiolab segment is here. The portion on Erdős starts at about 12 minutes.
06-08-2016, 11:42 AM
(06-08-2016 10:41 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Mine also happenned to be a actual Saint of the Catholic Church. His name was Maximillian Kolbe. He became famous for writting against the Nazi regime in Poland, hide and protected hundreds of Jews and resistence fighter. He was arrested twice, but refused to bow down to the threats of the Gestapo. He was later sent to Auschwitz where he preached and offered moral support to the prisonners. He was beaten several times for it, but kept on going. He died by willingly taking the place of a young father and polish resistence fighter who was sent to die of starvation with 14 others after an evasion. His request flabbergasted the SS officer, but wasn't denied. He hang on to life ofr 14 days, greatly irritating the Nazi, until they decided to poison him. He was canonized as a martyr in 1982 and received the nicknamed of St. Maximillian «Stone» Kolbe. That's one dude I that's worth remembering. You can read his short biographie in the book People of Auschwitz available for free on internet thanks to the Holocost Museum of New York. What's yours?

True picture of Kolbe isn't so rosy. No matter how admirable is his deed one has to remember that he was antisemite, nationalist and aggressive preacher wanting to catch sheep for his church*.

For the good guy of that time I would choose: Raoul Wallenberg.

There is also case of Danes helping Jews to escape their fate.

In the end each and every person who saved life of other is worth remembering cause And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world.

*http://www.racjonalista.pl/kk.php/s,1815

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-10-2016, 10:54 AM
(06-08-2016 10:41 AM)epronovost Wrote:  We all know the story of Mother Theresa, the albanese nun who became one of the most famous saint of the Catholic Church. Despite or perhapse because of her fame, we all know she had a dark side so imposing she could gain the title of Sith Lord

How did you know that? From what sources?
10-10-2016, 12:36 PM
(10-10-2016 10:54 AM)Dalroen Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 10:41 AM)epronovost Wrote:  We all know the story of Mother Theresa, the albanese nun who became one of the most famous saint of the Catholic Church. Despite or perhapse because of her fame, we all know she had a dark side so imposing she could gain the title of Sith Lord

From the Christopher Hitchens The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-10-2016, 12:36 PM

Wikipedia is your friend. There's a whole section on her that covers controversies. Personally I'm ambivalent. I think she did some good, from what I've read, but I'm hardly well informed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-10-2016, 12:47 PM
St. Francis of Assisi--Patron Saint of Animals--also helped sick and poor. Cared about animals and the environment.
10-10-2016, 12:51 PM
(10-10-2016 12:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 10:54 AM)Dalroen Wrote:  How did you know that? From what sources?

Wikipedia is your friend. There's a whole section on her that covers controversies. Personally I'm ambivalent. I think she did some good, from what I've read, but I'm hardly well informed.

Hitchens didn't think so. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

There's also her writings that were released by the catholic church after her death. She spent most of her life as an unbeliever.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Simon Templar?

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.