Let's revamp the 10 commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Let's revamp the 10 commandments
Last week my parents came by to visit and the first question I was asked by my father was "What do you think about the ACLU?" I'm sitting here thinking where this came from and where this was going and saw that he was playing the overplayed persecuted Christian card by saying that the Ten Commandments should be on display in court houses because our nation was built as a Christian Nation and that we derive our laws from the Ten Commandments. During the conversation I took the stance of equality for all and how if we allow the majority to dictate what is right then that marginalizes what the minority believes and everybody does not get a fair say in the matter. For the past week this has been eating at me just how ridiculous of a statement that is saying that we derive our laws from the Ten Commandments and I could only count three that pertain to modern societal laws. I know that others have done this, so I figured I'd go in and throw my two cents in and make my version of the Ten Commandments:

1) Have an open mind to anything, prejudices make it impossible to be impartial
2) Always question, test what others claim
3) If it causes any harm (physical or psychological) to another, refrain from that action
4) What you do will resonate through eternity, do what is right
5) If you don't wish to be judged, don't pass judgement. Those who are first to pass judgement tend to have the skeletons deepest in the closet.
6) Encourage exploration and critical thought
7) If you are in a position to help others less fortunate than you, see it as a privilege and not a burden
8) Treat others as you wish to be treated
9) Live, love and be free
10) Do these everyday, one day is not superior than the other

I'm interested to see what you all have for your Ten Commandments
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Grux33's post
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: Let's revamp the 10 commandments
Fuck you need ten for?

1: I love my Gwynnies! Tongue

That one keeps me outta all kinds of mischief.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2012, 11:46 PM
(11-06-2012 11:32 PM)Grux33 Wrote:  Last week my parents came by to visit and the first question I was asked by my father was "What do you think about the ACLU?" I'm sitting here thinking where this came from and where this was going and saw that he was playing the overplayed persecuted Christian card by saying that the Ten Commandments should be on display in court houses because our nation was built as a Christian Nation and that we derive our laws from the Ten Commandments. During the conversation I took the stance of equality for all and how if we allow the majority to dictate what is right then that marginalizes what the minority believes and everybody does not get a fair say in the matter. For the past week this has been eating at me just how ridiculous of a statement that is saying that we derive our laws from the Ten Commandments and I could only count three that pertain to modern societal laws. I know that others have done this, so I figured I'd go in and throw my two cents in and make my version of the Ten Commandments:

1) Have an open mind to anything, prejudices make it impossible to be impartial
2) Always question, test what others claim
3) If it causes any harm (physical or psychological) to another, refrain from that action
4) What you do will resonate through eternity, do what is right
5) If you don't wish to be judged, don't pass judgement. Those who are first to pass judgement tend to have the skeletons deepest in the closet.
6) Encourage exploration and critical thought
7) If you are in a position to help others less fortunate than you, see it as a privilege and not a burden
8) Treat others as you wish to be treated
9) Live, love and be free
10) Do these everyday, one day is not superior than the other

I'm interested to see what you all have for your Ten Commandments

Pretty good Effort Grux 33 and I think you surpass the Mosaic Law. For one, the thou shalt not kill law is highly ambiguous as "kill" has five different Jewish interpretations. Your 4,5, and 8 present me with most difficulties.... Consider
12-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I like that plan better. Rather than make up my own - cause I don't need no 10 when I got 4 - let's rag on his. Thumbsup

1- k, but not too open.
2 - ding, ding.
3- Hippocratic oath. Unnecessary. Well, I think of it in terms of the Rede, where the Wiccans added it to the Law. Do what thou wilt, is the extent of the law. If you know the Law, you really don't need to know anything else.
4- wtf? Swing and a miss.
5- Impossible. Without Judgement there is no Law. I mean, duh. This is some hippie shit that gets passed along 'cause it sounds good. But it's empty calories.
6- ding, ding.
7- Ah, no. Rife with relativism and self-righteousness. What is "less fortunate?" Deaf, dumb, and blind man sure play a mean pinball.
8- Golden Rule. That's moral reciprocity. I'm a sola fides kind of guy. Tongue
9a- got no choice /b-yeah /c-free implies restraint. Cat sitting over there, in the chair - she really ain't "free" to be in that char, but she really don't give a shit, either. Can learn a lot, from a cat. Meow.
10- No. Tongue

There ain't "10 commandments," there's 617. Buncha Christians get ahold of the Tanakh, make it say whatever the fuck they want it to say and call it holy. But YHWH smarter than a buncha Christians. First one goes, thou shalt have no god before (or in opposition to) me. 'Cause you parse that one, the rest follow. Tell me the first commandment, I tell you, you are god. Says so right there. Start seeing all You as God, all Me gets minimized. Zeroed out. Very tao, like that.

Anyhoo, my spiel of I love my Gwynnies is in the format of 1/0/2/3. Entire universe in them four things. In common parlance, truth/love/life/faith. Feel free to rag back. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Ok, rag taken Wink was trying to make a bit of a game out of it while tying in the fact that Bronze Age ideals are primitive to say the least. Our society has advanced and yet society's view of a "moral compass" is still the same fictional tablets that Charlton Heston brought down from a talking bush that was on fire.
12-06-2012, 01:09 AM
What game!?!? This is serious shit, here!

(insert trollface here)

Burning bush yet not consumed. Sun. Think Horus. I do. Got into it one time about how these peeps were just recycling Egyptian mythology - heck, ten commandments come straight outta the Book of the Dead -but of course that truck didn't have no wheels. I mean, those peeps are "of a type." They don't talk to communicate, they interact to see if you're listening so that they can parrot their gospel. Might as well chisel stone. Tongue

12-06-2012, 01:31 AM
(12-06-2012 01:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What game!?!? This is serious shit, here!

(insert trollface here)

Burning bush yet not consumed. Sun. Think Horus. I do. Got into it one time about how these peeps were just recycling Egyptian mythology - heck, ten commandments come straight outta the Book of the Dead -but of course that truck didn't have no wheels. I mean, those peeps are "of a type." They don't talk to communicate, they interact to see if you're listening so that they can parrot their gospel. Might as well chisel stone. Tongue

Yeah, yeah, Hoc its O.K for you as a blue sons mercenary, with Gwynneth in toe..................you really need to realize that we mere mortals need some props at times................... Weeping
12-06-2012, 01:35 AM
A game, an exercise, to see what other non-believers view as important in today's world, similar to what Dawkins did in "The God Delusion". I know those peeps well. Here in Tennessee our state legislature passed a bill allowing historical documents to be displayed in government building. On the list of "historical documents" was the Ten Commandments along with the Declaration of Independence & the Magna Carta. The difference is that I can touch the Declaration and the Magna Carta, they aren't from mythology.
12-06-2012, 01:39 AM
(12-06-2012 01:35 AM)Grux33 Wrote:  A game, an exercise, to see what other non-believers view as important in today's world, similar to what Dawkins did in "The God Delusion". I know those peeps well. Here in Tennessee our state legislature passed a bill allowing historical documents to be displayed in government building. On the list of "historical documents" was the Ten Commandments along with the Declaration of Independence & the Magna Carta. The difference is that I can touch the Declaration and the Magna Carta, they aren't from mythology.

But how really real is Dawkins? Erx and Cantor prolly deeper mystics............................................ Cool
12-06-2012, 01:53 AM
(12-06-2012 01:31 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 01:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What game!?!? This is serious shit, here!

(insert trollface here)

Yeah, yeah, Hoc its O.K for you as a blue sons mercenary, with Gwynneth in toe..................you really need to realize that we mere mortals need some props at times................... Weeping
That's Gwyneth. Angry
Big Grin

Tongue

...and da fuck do I know? That Gwyneth Paltrow created me, and from me the universe? That's a rational statement, right there. Thumbsup

You gave 'im props. Props given. That's one of the things I like about this place. I can count on you catz to be nice, so that when I go full metal asshole, it ain't so assholey. And who you calling mystic? Just 'cause I'm a prophet... Blush

Well, OK. I shut up now. Big Grin