Let's see yout tattoos!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2012, 10:33 PM
RE: Let's see yout tattoos!
(14-10-2012 09:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never felt the urge to get any tattoos. Not even back in the day when I was in the USN and it was almost expected of squids.

But ManlyGirl's got a few. Don't understand the appeal of a permanent marking, but meh, whatever, to each their own. Drinking Beverage

No anchors on your forearms? tsk tsk tsk....Anyway I like the snake tat ;D Traditional American has always been my favorite style. Wowee at the piercings. She obviously is a gluten for punishment, what with all the piercings and being with a girly man. Smile

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
14-10-2012, 10:44 PM
My mom tells me my tattoos are not feminine enough, and women should only have dainty, girly tattoos. ^_^ I'm glad I don't give a shit about people's opinions on these matters. Most people don't even know I have any tattoos. I just hate having to look at my naked skin with nothing on it.

(14-10-2012 09:58 PM)WalkingWithoutGod Wrote:  I understood that you were probably not very religious from the very forum which we are posting on. I just, in general, feel like the heavy metal/satanist interpretation and use of a symbol that is a powerful Christian symbol makes about as much sense as a neo-nazi sticking it to the jews by swearing off pork. Tongue That is all.
It is a prominent symbol in so-called black metal culture, and I've edited a BM fanzine for the past 16 years, so I consider BM an important part of my life. I never wear shorts or dresses, so no one really ever sees it except me. It has personal meaning for me, and I probably don't really care if other people understand it, especially people not involved in BM.

However, I disagree about the symbolism. The history of that symbol as anti-christian is completely separate from its history as it relates to peter.

Peter "Do me upside down, I'm not worthy to be nailed up there like Jesus!"
BM "Upright cross=Christianity; inverted = anti-christianity."

I.e., the Peter interpretation is not the only valid one, since many symbols have more than one meaning (and their meanings are based on their use, not necessarily on the symbol's history).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2012, 11:04 PM
(14-10-2012 10:44 PM)amyb Wrote:  My mom tells me my tattoos are not feminine enough, and women should only have dainty, girly tattoos. ^_^ I'm glad I don't give a shit about people's opinions on these matters. Most people don't even know I have any tattoos. I just hate having to look at my naked skin with nothing on it.

(14-10-2012 09:58 PM)WalkingWithoutGod Wrote:  I understood that you were probably not very religious from the very forum which we are posting on. I just, in general, feel like the heavy metal/satanist interpretation and use of a symbol that is a powerful Christian symbol makes about as much sense as a neo-nazi sticking it to the jews by swearing off pork. Tongue That is all.
It is a prominent symbol in so-called black metal culture, and I've edited a BM fanzine for the past 16 years, so I consider BM an important part of my life. I never wear shorts or dresses, so no one really ever sees it except me. It has personal meaning for me, and I probably don't really care if other people understand it, especially people not involved in BM.

However, I disagree about the symbolism. The history of that symbol as anti-christian is completely separate from its history as it relates to peter.

Peter "Do me upside down, I'm not worthy to be nailed up there like Jesus!"
BM "Upright cross=Christianity; inverted = anti-christianity."

I.e., the Peter interpretation is not the only valid one, since many symbols have more than one meaning (and their meanings are based on their use, not necessarily on the symbol's history).

I'm sorry I just seem to disagree as well...

It is and always has been a historically Christian symbol, a pictorial epitaph to great apostle Peter, and a celebration of the triumph of humility over pride.

I mean BM bands didn't start using this symbol until what...the 80s? It's not like they did something original. Like the cross had never been inverted and decided hey let's turn it upside down to show our anti-christianity attitude! The symbol was already massively recognized as something else. That leaves little debate on whether you can claim a new meaning/purpose/symbolism for it.

They are blithely incognizant of the great irony of the conscription of the Petrine cross by those who would use it as a means of blasphemy.

As for the swastika comparison, it's hardly the same scenario. Hitler didn't adopt the symbol and change it's overall meaning. He just chose the symbol to represent the nazi regime. His evil actions are what give the swastika it's reputation today, not the fact he took something and tried to make it the opposite. As Henry Dreyfuss put it, "the fact that an ignominious fanatic placed a Swastika on his battle flag is insufficient reason for ignoring this symbol's historic significance." Same can be said for those pioneering BM bands looking to get a leg up on being edgy and anti-religious by using a symbol they didn't understand the history of.

Just my two cents, I'm not by any means hating on your tattoo btw. I'd love to have one if I felt differently about it's primary meaning.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Stephen Hawking
14-10-2012, 11:16 PM
(14-10-2012 11:04 PM)WalkingWithoutGod Wrote:  It is and always has been a historically Christian symbol, a pictorial epitaph to great apostle Peter, and a celebration of the triumph of humility over pride.

I mean BM bands didn't start using this symbol until what...the 80s? It's not like they did something original. Like the cross had never been inverted and decided hey let's turn it upside down to show our anti-christianity attitude! The symbol was already massively recognized as something else. [undefined=undefined]That leaves little debate on whether you can claim a new meaning/purpose/symbolism for it.[/undefined]

To put it another way, words are also symbols. There was a time when "gay" meant only "happy." Now it's also used to refer to homosexuals. Does that mean the word "gay" referring to homosexuals is not valid because it wasn't "original"?

I never claimed BM bands were trying to be original, or that it was never used before. I was just explaining how symbols can have multiple meanings, and that it's important to take them in context. If it's on my leg next to a pentagram, it probably has little to do with St. Peter.

Symbols are one of my obsessions, that's all. I have an obscene number of books on the bookshelf about symbolism, did an obscene number of papers on symbols in school. It's one of the things that distinguishes us as a species.
14-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry I don't consider words on the same playing field as symbols.

In the same argument I could say it's ridiculous for me to fly a rainbow flag in my front yard and claim to hate homosexuals. *shrugs*

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Stephen Hawking
15-10-2012, 12:07 AM
(14-10-2012 11:45 PM)WalkingWithoutGod Wrote:  I'm sorry I don't consider words on the same playing field as symbols.

In the same argument I could say it's ridiculous for me to fly a rainbow flag in my front yard and claim to hate homosexuals. *shrugs*

Words represent ideas, just like crosses, swastikas, peace signs, and our beloved emoticons Banana_zorro pictorial symbols often convey ideas of more complexity than a single word but they are all symbols. Symbols rarely change meaning overnight, but they do change, just like the example amyb gave. As a matter of fact the church has begun to avoid using the inverted cross as a symbol for st. peter due to the pope controversy. Fundamental protestants went nuts over it. Example here http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20R...atican.htm

15-10-2012, 03:04 AM
mine right after I could take the foil of:
[Image: schwert.jpg]
Got it in 2005

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
15-10-2012, 03:19 AM
I have a few pics of my various other tats... starting with the mean ole pumpkin!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Stephen Hawking
15-10-2012, 03:20 AM
the ship, which is a work in progress to have a lot more elements added

Stephen Hawking
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingWithoutGod's post
15-10-2012, 03:21 AM
anddddd my koi fish looking so pretty!

Stephen Hawking
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingWithoutGod's post