Let's talk Sanders.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 10:12 AM
RE: Let's talk Sanders.
(13-01-2016 09:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So, what are the realistic chances that this guy will become your president?
I think if he can beat Hillary he will be President by the years end.

Obama will still be president at the year's end.

The inauguration is in January.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2016, 10:52 AM
(22-01-2016 10:12 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 09:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So, what are the realistic chances that this guy will become your president?

He could be President-Elect.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-01-2016, 11:51 AM
(22-01-2016 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 10:12 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Obama will still be president at the year's end.

He could be President-Elect.

Yes. But that's not President, now, is it?

Up here (and in sane countries), it only takes a few weeks from calling elections to a complete transition of government. Why can't you guys get your shit together and join the 19th century on that one, anyway?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-01-2016, 11:59 AM
(22-01-2016 11:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He could be President-Elect.

Yes. But that's not President, now, is it?

Up here (and in sane countries), it only takes a few weeks from calling elections to a complete transition of government. Why can't you guys get your shit together and join the 19th century on that one, anyway?

We vote on a Tuesday in November... because it's post-fall harvest season and it's a Tuesday because traveling to the city to be able to vote would be a day long travel.(and you can't leave on Sunday the lords day when you need to be at church)

We are sooo many steps away from the 19th century still. Because, well I don't know that...
[Image: tumblr_neus548Uf31tzbetwo1_400.gif]

A really dumb one.. that people who prefer voter suppression certainly want to stay in place.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-01-2016, 05:11 PM
(22-01-2016 10:12 AM)cjlr Wrote:  

Yea.. and Chinese New Year is on February the 8th so my statement is correct...

[Image: oscar.png]
23-01-2016, 05:31 AM
I don't know if anyone pointed this out before me, but Sanders would be an even more toothless president than Barack Obama was. One of Obama's campaign promises was to close down Guantanamo Bay and to his credit, he did try to do that several times. Unfortunately, the Democrats only controlled the Senate at the time, which is why all of his attempts were blocked by the Republicans. Now, now it's even worse for the Democrats. The Republicans currently control both the House and the Senate (i.e. they have a majority in Congress).

How is Bernie going to keep any of his promises like that? He could choose to abuse the system of executive actions the same way Obama did, but that wouldn't create lasting change. The next Republican president would repeal them the moment he took office. I remember that one of Sanders' main points was that his new healthcare plan would save the US several trillion dollars over the next decade. Well, it's not even going to be in place for that long if he can't get it passed by Congress, which is quite frankly impossible at the moment.

Why does a German guy care so much about US politics? I usually don't, but this election is very interesting to me because of the unique candidates this year (e.g. Trump and Sanders). I'm personally rooting for Trump to win. Smartass

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-01-2016, 05:38 AM
(22-01-2016 09:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I used to want Trump to run third party, splintering the GOP vote, but he's not going to win the general anyway, so we don't really need that.
Just how confident of that are you? I've got $250 that say you're wrong. You want in on the bet? Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-01-2016, 05:57 AM
(23-01-2016 05:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  How is Bernie going to keep any of his promises like that? He could choose to abuse the system of executive actions the same way Obama did, but that wouldn't create lasting change. The next Republican president would repeal them the moment he took office.

If he can rule by decree for 4 years, doesn't that
a. make a mockery of democracy.
b. give him some time to get shit done.

If he can get re-elected then that's 8 years. 8 years is a long time. Maybe enough to make some of those policy changes de facto permanent.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-01-2016, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 06:16 AM by ClydeLee.)
(23-01-2016 05:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't know if anyone pointed this out before me, but Sanders would be an even more toothless president than Barack Obama was. One of Obama's campaign promises was to close down Guantanamo Bay and to his credit, he did try to do that several times. Unfortunately, the Democrats only controlled the Senate at the time, which is why all of his attempts were blocked by the Republicans. Now, now it's even worse for the Democrats. The Republicans currently control both the House and the Senate (i.e. they have a majority in Congress).

How is Bernie going to keep any of his promises like that? He could choose to abuse the system of executive actions the same way Obama did, but that wouldn't create lasting change. The next Republican president would repeal them the moment he took office. I remember that one of Sanders' main points was that his new healthcare plan would save the US several trillion dollars over the next decade. Well, it's not even going to be in place for that long if he can't get it passed by Congress, which is quite frankly impossible at the moment.

Why does a German guy care so much about US politics? I usually don't, but this election is very interesting to me because of the unique candidates this year (e.g. Trump and Sanders). I'm personally rooting for Trump to win. Smartass

What promises? Not all policy campaign plans are what are equated to the idea of campaign promises. There's a political difference of saying I have a plan vs this will happen. He has promised some nonsense, like apparently he stated the first policy a supreme court justice he anoints would overturn citizens united(which makes no political sense as the court does not work that way)

The reason Guantanamo Bay wasn't closed while Democrats still had power is because too many democratic congress members didn't want to close it. The Republicans aren't the major reason. They hardly had the majority of enough democrats to do it. The problem for them was it would mean they would have to take the members into various states and put them on trial. Democratic politicians themselves didn't want to do that because of the outcry it would cost them in future elections with the potential arguments of adding terrorists to their prisons or also risking not being able to prosecute them in their states and having them freed up.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-01-2016, 07:35 AM
(23-01-2016 05:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't know if anyone pointed this out before me, but Sanders would be an even more toothless president than Barack Obama was.

That's what I like best about him. Either Trump or Hillary will do more harm than good. Sanders lacks the assertiveness and aggressiveness to do more than run his mouth about idealistic solutions that will never happen, which will effectively make him a neutral, pointless face in the Whitehouse. I think that's our best bet out of the options that might actually win.

I'd still put my vote to Zoltan Istvan or Souraya Faas before lowering myself to the level of actually checking a proverbial box that makes the legal statement of "yes, I approve of this guy," but internally I'll be rooting for a talking bobblehead that will more or less stay out of the way.

In any case, the world will move on and little of relevance will change.

'Murican Canadian