Let's talk Sanders.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 07:52 AM
RE: Let's talk Sanders.
(23-01-2016 05:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't know if anyone pointed this out before me, but Sanders would be an even more toothless president than Barack Obama was. One of Obama's campaign promises was to close down Guantanamo Bay and to his credit, he did try to do that several times. Unfortunately, the Democrats only controlled the Senate at the time, which is why all of his attempts were blocked by the Republicans. Now, now it's even worse for the Democrats. The Republicans currently control both the House and the Senate (i.e. they have a majority in Congress).

How is Bernie going to keep any of his promises like that? He could choose to abuse the system of executive actions the same way Obama did, but that wouldn't create lasting change. The next Republican president would repeal them the moment he took office. I remember that one of Sanders' main points was that his new healthcare plan would save the US several trillion dollars over the next decade. Well, it's not even going to be in place for that long if he can't get it passed by Congress, which is quite frankly impossible at the moment.

Why does a German guy care so much about US politics? I usually don't, but this election is very interesting to me because of the unique candidates this year (e.g. Trump and Sanders). I'm personally rooting for Trump to win. Smartass

If he accomplished no legislation but succeeded in preventing troglodytes from being appointed to the Supreme Court, it goes down as a big win.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
23-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Exactly. Even a dem who can't accomplish anything is better than a republican who successfully wrecks any progress we've made.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Imathinker's post
27-01-2016, 09:56 AM
(23-01-2016 08:59 AM)Imathinker Wrote:  Exactly. Even a dem who can't accomplish anything is better than a republican who successfully wrecks any progress we've made.
The same is true for the opposite. A Republican who can't accomplish anything is better than a Democrat who successfully wrecks any progress you've made. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Best case scenario is the world gets taken over by robots. Then at least we'll have logic and consistency as a starting point. Whether or not the end goal remains the same is a different matter, but one which we already face anyway.

'Murican Canadian
27-01-2016, 10:05 AM
(27-01-2016 09:56 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 08:59 AM)Imathinker Wrote:  Exactly. Even a dem who can't accomplish anything is better than a republican who successfully wrecks any progress we've made.
The same is true for the opposite. A Republican who can't accomplish anything is better than a Democrat who successfully wrecks any progress you've made. Tongue

So, who was the last Democrat who wrecked progress? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-01-2016, 10:20 AM
(27-01-2016 10:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-01-2016 09:56 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The same is true for the opposite. A Republican who can't accomplish anything is better than a Democrat who successfully wrecks any progress you've made. Tongue

So, who was the last Democrat who wrecked progress? Consider
I can't say I know enough about 20th century US presidents to give you an informed answer to that question, but I also don't think that it matters because my point was that Democrats and Republicans both have the potential to change the country for the worse. Hillary Clinton, for instance, would be an absolute catastrophe as POTUS.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-01-2016, 12:13 PM
(27-01-2016 10:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I can't say I know enough about 20th century US presidents to give you an informed answer to that question, but I also don't think that it matters because my point was that Democrats and Republicans both have the potential to change the country for the worse. Hillary Clinton, for instance, would be an absolute catastrophe as POTUS.

What change(s) would Hillary make that would be an absolute catastrophe?
28-01-2016, 12:33 PM
(27-01-2016 09:56 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Define "progress" please. What is in jeopardy?
- A doubling of the national debt despite record tax receipts
- A dramatic increase in muslim extremism outside of the ME
- No resolution to the situations in Iraq & Afghanistan
- Worse relations with Russia/China
- a refugee crisis that threatens Europe's stability
- a drone war with high "collateral damage"
- A stock market increase based upon a Fed balance sheet not economic fundamentals
- income/wealth inequality for the ages
- useless and unenforceable climate pacts which are show but no substance
- increased racial tensions
- a reduction in the labor participation rate to levels not seen since the 70s
- out of control college costs and the associated debt

Which of these do we not want the next president to unravel?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
28-01-2016, 12:50 PM
I skipped from the 1st page of this thread to here.

I see no talk of the Bernster. Undecided I piss off, now.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-01-2016, 05:06 PM
(28-01-2016 12:50 PM)kim Wrote:  I skipped from the 1st page of this thread to here.

I see no talk of the Bernster. Undecided I piss off, now.

Here, I got something!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...story.html

Basically admitting that at most, he's a deist and does not participate in any organized religion.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post