Let's talk about Suffering.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: Let's talk about Suffering.
As a former catholic I find the positive spin the church puts on suffering to be quite disturbing. Really? God loves you so much he wants you to be miserable? How does that make any sense?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 11:21 AM
(22-08-2014 07:41 AM)wazzel Wrote:  As a former catholic I find the positive spin the church puts on suffering to be quite disturbing. Really? God loves you so much he wants you to be miserable? How does that make any sense?
Yeah, suffer now so you can have joy later... well, a lot later... after you suffer some more a little later in purgatory. Rolleyes
(I used to be Catholic too.)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
22-08-2014, 11:39 AM
(22-08-2014 11:21 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 07:41 AM)wazzel Wrote:  As a former catholic I find the positive spin the church puts on suffering to be quite disturbing. Really? God loves you so much he wants you to be miserable? How does that make any sense?
Yeah, suffer now so you can have joy later... well, a lot later... after you suffer some more a little later in purgatory. Rolleyes
(I used to be Catholic too.)

Even sadder is that some people impose suffering on others when they could have been helping and easing their suffering and in some cases even saving their lives. Mother Teresa comes to mind. That woman was an evil bitch.
22-08-2014, 12:49 PM
(21-08-2014 10:12 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 02:35 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  The first noble truth of Buddhism: All life is suffering.

Learn that, and we get on with living our lives.
Would you care to elaborate on this philosophy.

Buddhism doctrine never said EVERYTHING is suffering. The first noble truth says there is suffering and dissatisfaction. Not that EVERYTHING is suffering. Lol
22-08-2014, 03:53 PM
(21-08-2014 08:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 10:12 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Would you care to elaborate on this philosophy.

Joy is all around us, but we are blocked from it by our inability to accept the reality of suffering.

When one accepts and embraces the suffering, one becomes open to joy.

Or something like that. Consider

It's a bit like staring into the abyss without flinching, then laughing.

Work hard now, get paid later?
22-08-2014, 03:54 PM
(21-08-2014 08:30 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 10:12 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Would you care to elaborate on this philosophy.

My elaboration is for you to meditate upon this concept. Repeat after me: aum...aum...

Aumkara

The 3 great mysteries of life (Hindu proverb):

Air to a bird
Water to a fish
You to yourself

If you don't know you could just say "I don't know." Smile
23-08-2014, 03:30 AM
I think a theist that is devoted enough could perfectly say such things to a starving child, only to justify their own incompetence to help them, or maybe just because it's too much for them to accept the harsh truth, that God isn't going to help.

I once overheard a conversation on the train (hardly a conversation though, but more like an attempt at converting the other person to some new-age mix of Christianity and Asian religions) in which a middle-aged woman was talking about why suffering exists, and she justified it with Karma. She justified infant death through past-life sinning. Ridiculous.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-