Let's talk about dying

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
22-06-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Let's talk about dying
Death is inevitable. By thinking about it you won't be postponing it, or it wouldn't turn out differently. Life is too short to think about stuff that you are 100% sure would happen. For example, we don't worry about if the sun will rise tomorrow or not, we know it will, so we don't spend our evenings and nights in the fear of it. Similarly we know we are going to die, whats the point of thinking about it? Thinking about what we already know isn't going to get us anywhere, it's thinking about what we don't know that really matters.
Remember those movies where one person find out he's about to die in a month and decides to do crazy stuff he always wanted to do? I say why wait? We all are dying too, we just don't know exactly when, so why not start doing all that crazy shit today?
BTW the fault in our stars is boring, it's like a walk to remember all over again. I still prefer Marley and Me Big Grin

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anna's post
22-06-2014, 10:45 AM
(22-06-2014 09:41 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Despite this reasoning, I cannot escape a sliver of fear in regards to my own inevitable death; I'm resigned to death, I honestly am and the fact holds no fear for me, but the concept that I'll just be gone; one second I'm here, another I simply cease to exist is... inestimably disquieting. Anybody else feel the same way?

I do feel the same way. I have struggled with this for years. I clung on to hopes of religion for a long time because I wanted so bad to believe that there was something at the end of this life. Personally, I haven't quite accepted this fact as much as come to a certain kind of easy resignation. I think if I am being honest, I still hope that there is an afterlife and the thought of ceasing to exist still frightens me. I think it will probably frighten me until I die.
22-06-2014, 06:35 PM
(22-06-2014 10:45 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I do feel the same way. I have struggled with this for years. I clung on to hopes of religion for a long time because I wanted so bad to believe that there was something at the end of this life. Personally, I haven't quite accepted this fact as much as come to a certain kind of easy resignation. I think if I am being honest, I still hope that there is an afterlife and the thought of ceasing to exist still frightens me. I think it will probably frighten me until I die.

In my later years as a christian, when my belief was failing, I began looking at other ideas, outside the christian heaven and hell story. I wondered, and still do actually, if when we die - are we just gone? or is it possible that our consciousness goes onto something else, another realm?

I certainly have no illusions about an afterlife now, but I also enjoy considering other possibilities.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
22-06-2014, 07:50 PM
(22-06-2014 06:35 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 10:45 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I do feel the same way. I have struggled with this for years. I clung on to hopes of religion for a long time because I wanted so bad to believe that there was something at the end of this life. Personally, I haven't quite accepted this fact as much as come to a certain kind of easy resignation. I think if I am being honest, I still hope that there is an afterlife and the thought of ceasing to exist still frightens me. I think it will probably frighten me until I die.

In my later years as a christian, when my belief was failing, I began looking at other ideas, outside the christian heaven and hell story. I wondered, and still do actually, if when we die - are we just gone? or is it possible that our consciousness goes onto something else, another realm?

I certainly have no illusions about an afterlife now, but I also enjoy considering other possibilities.

Possibilities? It is possible that there is something we cannot perceive or measure. If there were, it would get recycled like everything else, and it would not have a memory, and as it goes with recycled stuff, it would not be a unit but scattered stuff.

It doesn't make any difference, really.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-08-2014, 01:32 PM
I agree that death isn't really discussed enough, I think that's because many people are scared of their own death so the topic becomes a social taboo.

My mother died a few years ago, and I found the very considerable emotional dark cloud contained a significant silver lining. Her death was a very disturbing experience for me, and I got the sense that the reason this was so was because i was getting an indirect, but first real experiential glance at my own mortality. It's one thing to know of one's mortality in abstract terms (which I have done since a child) - it's altogether a different thing to acquire some sort of experiential knowledge of it.

For me this disturbing experience opened up paradoxes of existence and non-existence, reflecting on those paradoxes (and having epiphanies around them) has greatly complexified my thinking.

Phil
16-08-2014, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2014 05:36 PM by Ray Butler.)
Death is very much a concept; an animal has the self preservation instinct but that is an evolved trait proven effective for survival, it has nothing to do with the concept of mortality, only we have that. Death obviously occurs but from each our perspective it only really happens to others, because when our time comes we will cease to be aware, hence not register the experience. (edit; a number of animals understand death in an observational capacity, we differ in our ability to imagine scenarios around the understanding without observation needed)

But death is one of those fears that can expose us to manipulation, so coming to terms with it is vital, but rather than coming up with beliefs we can just appeal to ego; the ego hates to be subject to anything, its pride is hurt when it is, it becomes a case of the ego realising that fears and desires, although they are from within, they actually subject the ego, they can control us and our behaviour, it is a matter of self respect that we not allow that, at least not fully, be able to reel it in at will.
17-08-2014, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2014 08:57 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
I think if I could live until the end of time I would. When I die shit is going to continue to happen and I'm going to miss all that. That kinda pisses me off. Will we walk on the Pluto. Will we see the Oort Cloud with the naked eye? Will we build starships? Will we populate the universe? I think we probably will but I don't know. And I'll never find out....
I would most likely choose death over a life of suffering but I would rather the third option of living with minimal suffering. What if that's not an option? Will neither is living forever but it's the choice I would make.
Many atheists talk about death as if it were some gift. But I don't see it that way. Death is something to be conquered.
Given the choice to live or die at any given point I would choose life every time.
Death is certainly not my friend. It is my only enemy.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
17-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I think that as a society, we spend too much time talking about 'the end.' Having been a Christian for most of my life, the after life becomes an obsessive component of religion. So much so, that people become fixated on the after life, instead of the here and now. To me, that cheapens the here and now.

Not saying we shouldn't have earnest conversations about death and such, but I think I've had my fill of it from my religous days. When I die, I die. What happens thereafter, so be it. My greatest fear isn't dying, but rather squandering the time I've been given while alive and on my death bed, it will be too late to turn the clock back and use my time better.

Just my thoughts to it all....

Be true to yourself. Heart
17-08-2014, 01:31 PM
(17-08-2014 08:41 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think if I could live until the end of time I would. When I die shit is going to continue to happen and I'm going to miss all that. That kinda pisses me off. Will we walk on the Pluto. Will we see the Oort Cloud with the naked eye? Will we build starships? Will we populate the universe? I think we probably will but I don't know. And I'll never find out....
I would most likely choose death over a life of suffering but I would rather the third option of living with minimal suffering. What if that's not an option? Will neither is living forever but it's the choice I would make.
Many atheists talk about death as if it were some gift. But I don't see it that way. Death is something to be conquered.
Given the choice to live or die at any given point I would choose life every time.
Death is certainly not my friend. It is my only enemy.

Interesting! Very interesting. Now, that's a refreshing view I hadn't considered. Shy

Be true to yourself. Heart
17-08-2014, 02:34 PM
When my mother died several years ago I had to re-remember her when she wasn't sick and old. I spent time with my memory rewinding her life back to her 50's and even prior to that to when I first remembered her in my early childhood. It was helpful for me and it keeps her alive in my mind. I often tell my children about her in a way that is enjoyable and fun so they have a sense of who she was too.

For myself, I just don't want to suffer. That's all. I just don't want to suffer. I won't mind being dead because, well, I won't exist.

Prior to my birth I didn't exist either so was I dead? If death is not being alive and in existence then perhaps prior to birth one could be considered being dead. It was nothing. Pre-birth was such a nothing thing that I don't think there is a word for what it is but perhaps "dead" is pretty close.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.