Let's talk about music.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 01:15 AM
Let's talk about music.
Hi guys.

I really just want to talk about music. It seems to be the thing for which I most care.

For me at this moment in time, I think popular music as it is commonly known, think 2&4, has had it's day. At least in how it has been done, let's say since 1939-41-43-now. And now it is being regurgitated all over the world.

So if I bother I look for something different. All kinds of music from anywhere. I so often am able to link them to a common source. Traditional music in Nepal is in either 6/8 or 12/8, depending on the melody. Also 4/4 usually phrased as 16th's.
It can get very disco. So strange

Then I listen to the birds and the cars. I recall a long and complicated phrase sung by a bird, then followed by a passing car. It was like a buzz roll on a snare rising and falling at the end of a song.

Everywhere I go I hear music. I don't believe there are styles as such, there's just music. Everywhere.

Check this out.

If I think about it, music is the greatest love of my life.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
05-02-2017, 02:36 AM
RE: Let's talk about music.
Yeah, I really like music.

I have been learning guitar on and off for about 20+ years, just casually though, not via a teacher. Having a GF and later wife and later kids meant I couldn't give my guitar the attention she deserves and hence I am no Joe Satriani.

I have recently learnt how to play "Always with you, Always with me" the whole way through though, although I am still perfecting it. I have also recently perfected (almost) "Fade to black", and "Infinte Dreams" and the guitar solo for "November Rain", Oh and "You shook me all night long".

So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I'm also starting to learn piano as my two girls are taking lessons and I am learning it with them, although, I have gone off on my own to learn "Forgiven" by Within Temptation.

I like the challenge of music, I like the idea that you can play many different styles on a single instrument.

I also like to listen to music, especially Iron Maiden. I think in someways being a fan is somewhat like belonging to a religion. For me IM can do no wrong and I love to follow their career and develop my appreciation as they change. I have also found a love for Within Temptation and am finding it interesting that I am more receptive to the pop songs they did in "the Q files"sessions. I probably would never have given the original artists the time of day otherwise. Because of my children I am also learning to appreciate Katy Perry, Adele, Lady Gaga and musicals such as Moana.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
05-02-2017, 04:06 AM
Here's a great clip from a Nicko clinic. Listen to how he sings his parts. You can hear him on record.

Great guy. Very friendly.

This is classic. Nicko with Vinnie Colaiuta and "JR" Robinson. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
05-02-2017, 04:24 AM
Oh, didn't realise he was vocal while he plays.

Yeah, he's a funny guy, seems to have a love of life and definitely a love of drums and people too.

He refuses to play double bass. Steve Harris once asked him to take up double bass and he told Harry to get himself another drummer.
He did actually play double bass on Face in the Sand but not on any other song.
I feel not playing double bass allows the rest of the song to breath, but hey, I don't know much about drums. I do think though that the drums on the latest two albums Final Frontier and Book of Souls is pretty good, seems to have some elements of Prog, but not over the top. He got very simple on No Prayer.
I've also heard he is a Jazzy player, but I don't know enough to understand that.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
05-02-2017, 08:27 AM
I don't play any instruments myself—never had the inclination—but I've always enjoyed listening to drums. This is one of my constant replays...

And it's pure pleasure to watch (the late) Huub Janssen at his trade...

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-02-2017, 08:36 AM
1) That purple-sheen cymbal was stunningly gorgeous!

2) I did not know I could be so mesmerized by (any) three guys drumming on one.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-02-2017, 09:16 AM
I've been listening to a little japanese folk music here lately just for something a little different.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
05-02-2017, 09:20 AM
(05-02-2017 04:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Here's a great clip from a Nicko clinic. Listen to how he sings his parts. You can hear him on record.

I love to watch and hear drummers who use all parts of their instruments, like he did toward the middle of this clip. When they supplement the drum heads and the cymbals with the rims and sides of the drum, it's creative and adds depth, IMO.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-02-2017, 05:49 PM
(05-02-2017 01:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi guys.

I really just want to talk about music. It seems to be the thing for which I most care.

Banjo player?

Quote:For me at this moment in time, I think popular music as it is commonly known, think 2&4, has had it's day. At least in how it has been done, let's say since 1939-41-43-now. And now it is being regurgitated all over the world.

My capsule timeline of popular music for the past century or so:

1900s brass band; ragtime
1910s jazz; novelty
1920s Charleston; country, gospel
1930s dance bands; big band swing
1940s patriotic songs; crooners; r&b
1950s bebop; rock & roll; country & western; bluegrass; rockabilly
1960s rock; country rock; contemporary folk; psychedelia; free jazz; soul
1970s prog rock; funk; metal; fusion; new wave; disco
1980s punk; reggae; rap
1990s hip-hop
2000s hip-hop
2010s hip-hop

Hmm ... You may have a point ... Consider

Quote:Everywhere I go I hear music.

"Everything we do is music. Music is all around us, if only we had ears. There would be no need for concert halls if man could only learn to enjoy the sounds which envelope him, for example at Seventh and Broadway at four p.m. on a rainy day.
-- John Cage

Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post