Let's talk future and things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Let's talk future and things
Wall of text ahead - you have been warned

A little bit of background first:

So from the very moment I found out that some people enjoy watching other people do things and when I realized (back then) that I like very much to show things that I do, I was on the stage.

So when I was a child, I was always in choirs, sometimes several at a time. I was in the school band. I was in the theatre group (Drama club in the US??), I was in our school circus. Everything that was fun to me and ripped out of my fucked up life at home, I took it and I did it.
So with all these types of after school activities, of course I was on stages a whole lot. I got very used to being on stages although I never lost this freak out feeling. The level of stage fright that I always felt is not even funny anymore. I always enjoyed showing things but because I have very little self-esteem (and that was worse when I was younger) I really had trouble at times.

But you may be surprised, I never wanted to become a star when I grow up. I never wanted to be a well-known anything person. When I was 12 my headmaster asked me what I would like to be when I grow up. I wanted to be a psychologist or work with animals.
Well now I am neither a psychologist nor do I work with animals, but it was what I wanted to do back then. My plans for the future have always changed. I wanted to be a veterinarian for a long time because I have always had a good connection to most animals (horses and swans excluded. For some reason I just really don't like them much).
When I left that branch of the German school system - the branch that allows you to go to university when you are done - I changed my plans a little bit. I thought maybe a carpenter, programmer, or skipper would be nice.
My mother was a single parent and I told her these career ideas of mine.
Carpenter? But it is a hard job... bla
Programmer? We don't even have a computer... bla
Skipper? But you will be away for long periods of time... bla
I let her talk me out of everything.
At school I was to choose what branch I want to get on after 7th grade.
The branches were:
1. Computer science branch
2. Music branch
3. Science branch
I wanted to get on computer science branch to get the tools for what I wanted to be. I knew that I would be allowed to use the school computers to do my homework and assignments. But my mother talked me out of it because when she was at school, she was on the music branch and so I had to do the same. She signed me up to it. Good for me that I am very talented in that area but it is not what I wanted and in the end, I did not graduate because of it.
Every door that I worked to have it opened for me and my career ideas, my mother always talked me out of it. I don't blame her because she meant well, you will see later why I mention her so much.

So I ended up becoming a child care assistant. I did not want that profession at all and I left it after 4 years but I needed to learn a job and at this point I was so brain washed into thinking that this is what I wanted and what I am good at. And yes I am good at it but I don't like it at all. I got sick so much that at some point my boss' boss had me come in. I had 46 sick days in that year and counting. I have a bad immune system and I caught every single bug that would go around schools and day care. I got them all and always went back to work before I was fully healed. So at some point I ran around with a bronchitis for about 3 months and this is also why I have asthma today.

As I worked in child care but wanted to leave the profession I decided to go to evening school to get my graduation from highschool so I could go to university.
I wrote really good marks. I worked my ass off but my life was now exclusively work and school. And I hated that. All my time went into working and studying and it would have gone on for a few years. So I dropped out and just kept doing the job I had.

Shortly after I had my break down and was rendered completely unfit to work this job again. A year later I had stopped working there and I also was without a future now. 22 years old and at the absolute lowest point of my life.

I had moved out at the time, didn't know what to do with my life, deeeeply depressed and suicidal at the time. I was very self destructive but I finally had some time to think things through. It took about a year for me to take a great risk and move and do a thing. I am not proud of it really because I did fail but at the same time, at least I cannot say that I never tried.

This became my motto and it still is my motto.
I will try because otherwise I will blame myself for not even having tried. If I fail, that is fine, but at the very least I tried.
And I apply this to almost everything. I apply to everything that looks promising to me. I grab every chance I see. I try everything I can try. By now I have had my tentacles everywhere and I learned a lot about myself, where my limits are, what I like and enjoy, and how I want to continue my life.

When Youtube started to become a thing, I made a channel because I wanted to upload videos of me singing. I sang many covers and over the span of half a year I had gained about 60 subs. It was very fun and Youtube was more of a community back then. I started enjoying an audience again. I am sure, would I have kept going, I'd probably have a few more subs and be able to earn a bit of pocket money on the side with it. But at some point in my life, I simply lost my voice. Not physically, but the music just left me and so far it hasn't really come back. I love music but yea, you can't force things.
In the place of music is gaming at this point.
So 2 year ago or so, I made a new channel on youtube just to upload gaming videos. Also had a twitch channel to stream. (by now I stream on youtube because of reasons).
When I started the gaming channel, I just wanted a place to upload game play so I could show some cool stuff to my friends. I had no subscribers but I thought it would be so nice to have a successfull Youtube channel because I do enjoy a bit of applause here and there. Who does't really.

So a few months back I realized what potential a good Youtube channel actually has. I started to play with numbers and realized how much I would enjoy to make Youtube / Gaming my fulltime job.
So at this point I started to run some numbers. I did a lot of homework on the businesspart of Youtube as a job. Things about ad revenue, sponsors, and such. I also thought about how I would like my channel to be, what kind of concept and so on.
I started playing around with video editing and if you ever make it to my channel, just check one of my first videos and compare to a recent one. There is a learning curve haha.
And this is where my mother comes back into play.
By now I have created and maintained a healthy distance and I am not feeling guilty anymore about not telling her some things or not explaining myself all the time. I am strong enough nowadays to just tell her things about me and answer questions without having the pressure of needing her approval.

I have spoken to Mr.Leela that at some point I would love to have a big enough following on Youtube that I can make a living from it and he actually approves. He sees the work and effort I am putting in. The time that often goes into me editing videos or working on other channel related things. The time that basically goes missing from our couple time because of it. But he has my back and approves of it mostly because he sees that I am not just talking but that I like doing this and mainly because this is the first time that he sees me sticking with something instead of dropping it after a short time.

I have had my mother watch me stream once. And she was interested but did not understand the concept. "So why would anybody want to watch you play?" and I just told her "Well why would you want to watch a certain TV program?". She understood I think. I also tell her once in a while that I made another video for my channel but have not gone into depth about my plans with the channel. I don't think she'd understand that a nobody like me can potentially make good money with this.

So throughout my life I learned that you cannot ever rely on one thing to work out so of course I have and maintain a job and am working on my career path there. But all my spare time goes mainly into gaming, improving my game play in games that have ranking systems, capturing game play, editing videos, streaming, scripting videos, collecting video ideas, and so on.

Just right now I really am a bit out of air if that makes sense. I have worked like a mothafucka for the past half year. And mainting enough energy to basically do two jobs while having real bad insomnia is hard. At first I did two videos a week on fixed days. But soon I started to feel so much pressure because unlike big youtubers who can play all day and in the end just pick the good games, I have to do stuff with the bit I can record in my 2 or 3 hours a day that I have time to play. So far it is ok but I had to stop forcing out two videos per week. I don't love all of my videos but I am also not embrassed by them PLUS I am definitly learning and it is very obvious on the videos I do. Editing and scripting has become better. Speaking / voice overs become better. I like to play around with different musics and effects to see how it changes a video.
So yea I think that is where I am going right now. Once in a while I get a new subscriber and once in a while I get very useful feedback from a viewer or a friend.

So future:
I will keep working on the channel because it is fun. No matter if I get a big following on Youtube or not but it would certainly be nice. I will keep celebrating every new subscriber! At the moment I am at 41 Thumbsup
I will keep modelling my channel until I arrive at a format that I like and I think I am close right now.
It would be very nice to make this my job at some point and being able to give up my current full-time position to swap it out for Youtube. I know that it is a big and rough place and I know that gaming channels are not a gap in the market and I know it is hard to get there but I am happy to work on it and after all I am having fun and am learning lot so things.
Soon I want to run some advertisements for my facebook page (I have some opportunities that I would like to grab). Made a really nice channel intro video in preparation for me starting to advertise.

Here is also where you guys come in.
Where would you advertise something like this? Any ideas?
I remember that a while ago I did an ad on reddit (for my clan back then) but we didn't get many clicks from it.
Are there people here who are experienced in advertising and such things? I'd be happy to hear some ideas.

Wall of text done.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2016, 04:17 PM
RE: Let's talk future and things
I toyed with doing a youtube channel for awhile (with yoga). I've since changed that idea and am thinking about doing a yoga website where I have paid subscribers. Basically, after doing more research, I found that youtube is saturated with yoga videos and you also get trolls there on occasion. I wanted my channel to be something my current students could enjoy and access, as well as pick up some new students who happen to find my site. I am still working out some marketing ideas. This is just a lil side thing for me and as a bennie to my current students, so I'm not planning on going crazy with marketing.

For your situation, could you advertise on gaming websites? Or gaming forums? I think it would also be helpful to look at other gamer youtube videos and see how they advertise. Possibly create a website and blog to go with your channel (I dunno if you are already doing that?)

Good luck!
11-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Well for websites and forums in gaming it is usually clans and communities that recruit that way and most forums and websites don't usually like people to advertise their Youtube (or anything) just for the purpose of advertising it. I mean look at me. Even here, where I know that people won't take it wrong because they know me, I am hesitant to put my link on.

I did look at the gaming youtube channels that I like a lot and where I know that they make a living off their channel. Most of them don't do anything too special. They have content that is interesting to me, they usually have some social media set up, they all stream, and that is about it. Bigger channels have websites but a website or blog doesn't make sense for me yet. I have 41 subs and don't think anybody would look at that website.
I am planning to make a website once I am at about 1k or 2k subs so that I don't have to rely on social media anymore when I want to make an announcement or something. And for that website I have an exact plan on what I want on it already too. But yea, for now, doesn't make sense yet.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
11-11-2016, 05:24 PM
(11-11-2016 02:34 PM)Leela Wrote:  Wall of text ahead - you have been warned

A little bit of background first:

So from the very moment I found out that some people enjoy watching other people do things and when I realized (back then) that I like very much to show things that I do, I was on the stage.

So when I was a child, I was always in choirs, sometimes several at a time. I was in the school band. I was in the theatre group (Drama club in the US??), I was in our school circus. Everything that was fun to me and ripped out of my fucked up life at home, I took it and I did it.
So with all these types of after school activities, of course I was on stages a whole lot. I got very used to being on stages although I never lost this freak out feeling. The level of stage fright that I always felt is not even funny anymore. I always enjoyed showing things but because I have very little self-esteem (and that was worse when I was younger) I really had trouble at times.

But you may be surprised, I never wanted to become a star when I grow up. I never wanted to be a well-known anything person. When I was 12 my headmaster asked me what I would like to be when I grow up. I wanted to be a psychologist or work with animals.
Well now I am neither a psychologist nor do I work with animals, but it was what I wanted to do back then. My plans for the future have always changed. I wanted to be a veterinarian for a long time because I have always had a good connection to most animals (horses and swans excluded. For some reason I just really don't like them much).
When I left that branch of the German school system - the branch that allows you to go to university when you are done - I changed my plans a little bit. I thought maybe a carpenter, programmer, or skipper would be nice.
My mother was a single parent and I told her these career ideas of mine.
Carpenter? But it is a hard job... bla
Programmer? We don't even have a computer... bla
Skipper? But you will be away for long periods of time... bla
I let her talk me out of everything.
At school I was to choose what branch I want to get on after 7th grade.
The branches were:
1. Computer science branch
2. Music branch
3. Science branch
I wanted to get on computer science branch to get the tools for what I wanted to be. I knew that I would be allowed to use the school computers to do my homework and assignments. But my mother talked me out of it because when she was at school, she was on the music branch and so I had to do the same. She signed me up to it. Good for me that I am very talented in that area but it is not what I wanted and in the end, I did not graduate because of it.
Every door that I worked to have it opened for me and my career ideas, my mother always talked me out of it. I don't blame her because she meant well, you will see later why I mention her so much.

So I ended up becoming a child care assistant. I did not want that profession at all and I left it after 4 years but I needed to learn a job and at this point I was so brain washed into thinking that this is what I wanted and what I am good at. And yes I am good at it but I don't like it at all. I got sick so much that at some point my boss' boss had me come in. I had 46 sick days in that year and counting. I have a bad immune system and I caught every single bug that would go around schools and day care. I got them all and always went back to work before I was fully healed. So at some point I ran around with a bronchitis for about 3 months and this is also why I have asthma today.

As I worked in child care but wanted to leave the profession I decided to go to evening school to get my graduation from highschool so I could go to university.
I wrote really good marks. I worked my ass off but my life was now exclusively work and school. And I hated that. All my time went into working and studying and it would have gone on for a few years. So I dropped out and just kept doing the job I had.

Shortly after I had my break down and was rendered completely unfit to work this job again. A year later I had stopped working there and I also was without a future now. 22 years old and at the absolute lowest point of my life.

I had moved out at the time, didn't know what to do with my life, deeeeply depressed and suicidal at the time. I was very self destructive but I finally had some time to think things through. It took about a year for me to take a great risk and move and do a thing. I am not proud of it really because I did fail but at the same time, at least I cannot say that I never tried.

This became my motto and it still is my motto.
I will try because otherwise I will blame myself for not even having tried. If I fail, that is fine, but at the very least I tried.
And I apply this to almost everything. I apply to everything that looks promising to me. I grab every chance I see. I try everything I can try. By now I have had my tentacles everywhere and I learned a lot about myself, where my limits are, what I like and enjoy, and how I want to continue my life.

When Youtube started to become a thing, I made a channel because I wanted to upload videos of me singing. I sang many covers and over the span of half a year I had gained about 60 subs. It was very fun and Youtube was more of a community back then. I started enjoying an audience again. I am sure, would I have kept going, I'd probably have a few more subs and be able to earn a bit of pocket money on the side with it. But at some point in my life, I simply lost my voice. Not physically, but the music just left me and so far it hasn't really come back. I love music but yea, you can't force things.
In the place of music is gaming at this point.
So 2 year ago or so, I made a new channel on youtube just to upload gaming videos. Also had a twitch channel to stream. (by now I stream on youtube because of reasons).
When I started the gaming channel, I just wanted a place to upload game play so I could show some cool stuff to my friends. I had no subscribers but I thought it would be so nice to have a successfull Youtube channel because I do enjoy a bit of applause here and there. Who does't really.

So a few months back I realized what potential a good Youtube channel actually has. I started to play with numbers and realized how much I would enjoy to make Youtube / Gaming my fulltime job.
So at this point I started to run some numbers. I did a lot of homework on the businesspart of Youtube as a job. Things about ad revenue, sponsors, and such. I also thought about how I would like my channel to be, what kind of concept and so on.
I started playing around with video editing and if you ever make it to my channel, just check one of my first videos and compare to a recent one. There is a learning curve haha.
And this is where my mother comes back into play.
By now I have created and maintained a healthy distance and I am not feeling guilty anymore about not telling her some things or not explaining myself all the time. I am strong enough nowadays to just tell her things about me and answer questions without having the pressure of needing her approval.

I have spoken to Mr.Leela that at some point I would love to have a big enough following on Youtube that I can make a living from it and he actually approves. He sees the work and effort I am putting in. The time that often goes into me editing videos or working on other channel related things. The time that basically goes missing from our couple time because of it. But he has my back and approves of it mostly because he sees that I am not just talking but that I like doing this and mainly because this is the first time that he sees me sticking with something instead of dropping it after a short time.

I have had my mother watch me stream once. And she was interested but did not understand the concept. "So why would anybody want to watch you play?" and I just told her "Well why would you want to watch a certain TV program?". She understood I think. I also tell her once in a while that I made another video for my channel but have not gone into depth about my plans with the channel. I don't think she'd understand that a nobody like me can potentially make good money with this.

So throughout my life I learned that you cannot ever rely on one thing to work out so of course I have and maintain a job and am working on my career path there. But all my spare time goes mainly into gaming, improving my game play in games that have ranking systems, capturing game play, editing videos, streaming, scripting videos, collecting video ideas, and so on.

Just right now I really am a bit out of air if that makes sense. I have worked like a mothafucka for the past half year. And mainting enough energy to basically do two jobs while having real bad insomnia is hard. At first I did two videos a week on fixed days. But soon I started to feel so much pressure because unlike big youtubers who can play all day and in the end just pick the good games, I have to do stuff with the bit I can record in my 2 or 3 hours a day that I have time to play. So far it is ok but I had to stop forcing out two videos per week. I don't love all of my videos but I am also not embrassed by them PLUS I am definitly learning and it is very obvious on the videos I do. Editing and scripting has become better. Speaking / voice overs become better. I like to play around with different musics and effects to see how it changes a video.
So yea I think that is where I am going right now. Once in a while I get a new subscriber and once in a while I get very useful feedback from a viewer or a friend.

So future:
I will keep working on the channel because it is fun. No matter if I get a big following on Youtube or not but it would certainly be nice. I will keep celebrating every new subscriber! At the moment I am at 41 Thumbsup
I will keep modelling my channel until I arrive at a format that I like and I think I am close right now.
It would be very nice to make this my job at some point and being able to give up my current full-time position to swap it out for Youtube. I know that it is a big and rough place and I know that gaming channels are not a gap in the market and I know it is hard to get there but I am happy to work on it and after all I am having fun and am learning lot so things.
Soon I want to run some advertisements for my facebook page (I have some opportunities that I would like to grab). Made a really nice channel intro video in preparation for me starting to advertise.

Here is also where you guys come in.
Where would you advertise something like this? Any ideas?
I remember that a while ago I did an ad on reddit (for my clan back then) but we didn't get many clicks from it.
Are there people here who are experienced in advertising and such things? I'd be happy to hear some ideas.

Wall of text done.

Cheers

These days, the most economical way to advertise that lets you choose your target audience down to minutia is facebook. It doesn't have the biggest audience for your type of games, but you can target the ones they do have directly and that makes it the best buy these days. You pay only for exposure to the people who play this.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-11-2016, 05:48 PM
yes i thought that too. I tried the same thing on reddit once though and out of 6666 ads put up (i had spent 10 euro) we only got like 4 clicks or so. People just hate ads so much.

- Wotsefack?! -
11-11-2016, 05:59 PM
(11-11-2016 05:48 PM)Leela Wrote:  yes i thought that too. I tried the same thing on reddit once though and out of 6666 ads put up (i had spent 10 euro) we only got like 4 clicks or so. People just hate ads so much.

How well were they targeted? Targeting is everything. You can target by specific game if you like, and use a pic of game play - it will draw the eye of all you targeted because - well - they all play it. You can additionally target by location, age, income bracket and I don't know what all. Targeting is the prime thing in advertising online.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-11-2016, 07:15 PM
well on reddit i used all the filters to get as specific as possible so it was pretty much this: Gamers, Europe, League of Legends
Now on Facebook I can target country, device used, age, gender, gaming, but not which games, so I can be specific in another way. I will try it anyway on facebook and see what happens.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
11-11-2016, 07:40 PM
YouTube has their own Advertising program.

https://www.youtube.com/yt/advertise/index.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
11-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Wow thanks JD. I was always wondering how the normal channels were getting their videos into the ad spaces. Thanks for that. I might just do that.

- Wotsefack?! -
11-11-2016, 08:36 PM
(11-11-2016 08:31 PM)Leela Wrote:  Wow thanks JD. I was always wondering how the normal channels were getting their videos into the ad spaces. Thanks for that. I might just do that.

Glad to be of service.

[Image: pDb38_s-200x150.gif]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post