Let science do what it is supposed to do!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Let science do what it is supposed to do!
I am not really sure why so many on this site talk about science disproving the existence of God. Science is not capable of doing that. The inductive method gives us knowledge that is only probably true. Science, therefore, cannot be certain about anything in an absolute sense. It can provide a high degree of confidence based on evidence that strongly justifies scientific conclusions, but its method never allows certainty. It is almost like there is no accountability, first the earth is flat, then it’s not, sun revolved around us, then it didn’t, Pluto was a plant, now it isn’t, the list of scientific errors, so to speak is long. Like I had mentioned in a previous post my dad is a doctor, medicine changed dramatically since he started.

The way many try to show God doesn't exist is simply by asserting it, but that's not proof. It isn't even evidence, but that is what Unbeliever does all the time. Scientists sometimes try to get away with this by requiring that scientific law--natural law--must explain everything, that is what Super does. But there are many things that, scientific law or empirical evidence can’t prove, love, beauty, art, miracles, God, are just a few things science can’t prove.

Let science do what it is supposed to do and quit asking it to do things it is not meant to do.
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2010, 07:36 PM
RE: Let science do what it is supposed to do!
(11-04-2010 07:05 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  I am not really sure why so many on this site talk about science disproving the existence of God.

We don't, exactly. We talk about how science is capable of disproving specific claims about a god. Science is no more capable of disproving the existence of the Abrahamic god than it is of disproving the existence of Zeus. But specific claims about that god and what it has done - for existence, the flood - can be disproven, yes.

Quote:The way many try to show God doesn't exist is simply by asserting it, but that's not proof. It isn't even evidence, but that is what Unbeliever does all the time.

No, it isn't. I've explained this numerous times to you. I would explain it again, but I know there's no point. For everyone else, you can see me explaining this in any of the threads where I have gotten into a debate with martin. It always comes down to him repeatedly accusing me of this, even after I have demonstrated that this is not what I am doing.

Quote:But there are many things that, scientific law or empirical evidence can’t prove, love

Yes, it can.

Quote:beauty, art

Subjective.

Quote:miracles

Disproven.

Quote:God

See above.

Quote:Let science do what it is supposed to do and quit asking it to do things it is not meant to do.

And who defines what it is supposed to do and what it is not supposed to do? You? The church?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2010, 11:15 PM

martinb59 Wrote:Scientists sometimes try to get away with this by requiring that scientific law--natural law--must explain everything

No, asshat, that is not what scientific 'law' requires. Science is in fact an effort towards perfection. It constantly disregards that which is proven wrong in favour of better explanations. It always strives to move further into the darkness of human understanding, instead of basking in the shallow light of ignorance. It is always humble, and accepting of better ideas.

That is in fact the antithesis of religion, in which something that is stated must remain true forever (despite the understandable ignorance of the claimers).
12-04-2010, 10:55 AM

Science IS doing what it is supposed to do...even if it IS correcting itself, it is far more noble of science to constantly search for a better understanding of the world than to hold on to ancient beliefs (If they did hold on to old school understandings, would we even have antibiotics today?)

As a side effect (not necessarily 'by accident' but probably unexpectedly), science has been able to explain things that people could only use 'god' to explain.

If you (or any other religious zealot) do not accept the fact that science has explained aspects of life that only 'god' could before, then you are ignorant of science and any of the knowledge areas it has excelled in.

I stated this in a previous post...if you are not willing to accept my above fact, then you should be willing to do without all that science has provided...antibiotics, computers, cars, housing, clothing, etc. etc. etc.
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM

(11-04-2010 11:15 PM)kidl33t Wrote:  
martinb59 Wrote:Scientists sometimes try to get away with this by requiring that scientific law--natural law--must explain everything

No, asshat, that is not what scientific 'law' requires. Science is in fact an effort towards perfection. It constantly disregards that which is proven wrong in favour of better explanations. It always strives to move further into the darkness of human understanding, instead of basking in the shallow light of ignorance. It is always humble, and accepting of better ideas.

That is in fact the antithesis of religion, in which something that is stated must remain true forever (despite the understandable ignorance of the claimers).

Not sure what "Asshat" if it is a derogatory comment towards me, I love how internet punks talk, trust me you would not say it to my face.

That's enough of a comment for you, as I don't deal with the immature.
12-04-2010, 02:30 PM
(12-04-2010 12:46 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(11-04-2010 11:15 PM)kidl33t Wrote:  

Not sure what "Asshat" if it is a derogatory comment towards me, I love how internet punks talk, trust me you would not say it to my face.

That's enough of a comment for you, as I don't deal with the immature.

yeah that´s typical martin. Just avoid an answer by inventing a lame excuse, just as usual.

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't act as though your perfectly innocent in the name-calling field Martin.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
12-04-2010, 04:46 PM

(12-04-2010 02:56 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Don't act as though your perfectly innocent in the name-calling field Martin.

I have never used that language anywhere! I get it, no one likes to be proven wrong and so their ego gets in the way and since that is what I have shown so many on this site that they are wrong, I get the name calling and the egos. It will be shown when I debate Unbeliever, TRUST ME!
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM

(12-04-2010 10:55 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Science IS doing what it is supposed to do...even if it IS correcting itself, it is far more noble of science to constantly search for a better understanding of the world than to hold on to ancient beliefs (If they did hold on to old school understandings, would we even have antibiotics today?)

As a side effect (not necessarily 'by accident' but probably unexpectedly), science has been able to explain things that people could only use 'god' to explain.

If you (or any other religious zealot) do not accept the fact that science has explained aspects of life that only 'god' could before, then you are ignorant of science and any of the knowledge areas it has excelled in.

I stated this in a previous post...if you are not willing to accept my above fact, then you should be willing to do without all that science has provided...antibiotics, computers, cars, housing, clothing, etc. etc. etc.

You made the claim "If you (or any other religious zealot) do not accept the fact that science has explained aspects of life that only 'god' could before, then you are ignorant of science and any of the knowledge areas it has excelled in" is that true, the answer is yes you made the claim. Now I am asking you to prove the claim that "If you (or any other religious zealot) do not accept the fact that science has explained aspects of life that only 'god' could before" You made the claim now show support for your claim.

I am also waiting for your response to my question, is your wife a Christian or does she just believe in God?
12-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh and super, while you're at it, I want you to show proof that the sky is blue. Because unless you show me proof, it doesn't matter that I can see it, the sky is not blue.

Seriously, theres a line that is constantly being crossed with regard to proof. Do you really need someone to show proof that science has shown us that the earth is round, not flat?? I mean come on.

So many cats, so few good recipes.