Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science?
(03-01-2017 04:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Well, it depends on how you define "science". Many of the early practitioners of research into the natural world would not remotely qualify as "doing science" by today's standard. Some of them hit upon good information, and even upon experiments, but as often as not it was just what Vonnegut called "Guessers" developing expertise that was rife with the biases of the researcher. It is, of course, often these biased earlier versions, prior to the 19th century, to which religionists like to cite when criticizing modern science.

But the Scientific Method did not develop overnight or in several independent locations; rather, it was a process of "fumbling toward" (borrowing a term from Sarah McLachlan) the current idea we have among scientists, with groups sharing bits around the globe. It is no coincidence that the modern Method was developed worldwide as global travel (and thus communication) became possible.

The main thing that the modern Scientific Method developed was the idea of competition among scientists, of questioning every idea and having allegiance to none. This emerged in large part because of competition between and among the different types of research methods employed by the people publishing these newly-shared letters and periodicals that a more-or-less uniform standard of scientific practice was established... it was found that doubt, rather than authority (because the scientists from England did not recognize the automatic authority of German scientists, for instance), was the key to eliminating human bias from the research to the highest degree.

As for the "global religion" of which you speak, I have no idea what you're talking about other than to say it sounds like A Terrible Idea™.

Welcome to TTA. Smile

I would add that the development of the Modern Scientific method also prompted the development of a stronger methodology in numerous other fields that aren't scientific like the Historical Methodology and the Ethimological Method. Thus if you were to extend the concept of "Scientific Method" to all the human entreprise to find natural, demonstrable, accurate explanation to various phenomenon, than you could say there is more than just one method even if they all share the same basic principle.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
03-01-2017, 11:22 AM
The world needs one religion like it needs a deadly contagious virus with no vaccine.

Luckily for us, science can help combat both.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
03-01-2017, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 11:33 AM by Tomasia.)
(03-01-2017 03:38 AM)theevolutionofgods Wrote:  This is a food of thought that humanity developed several religions but only one science? Devotees of different religions follow different customs, rituals, prayers, attributes of gods, etc. Each religion has quite a few sects; these sects are further divided as per the geographical locations. Thus, religious concepts of different people are altogether different.

For example, the devotees of one religion sacrifice animals to appease their gods: whereas, the followers of another one propitiate their gods through the service of those animals. To take another example, the idol worship is core of one religion: however, the other one has imposed a taboo over idol worship. Most devotees explain that the discrepancy among religions is because religions originated in different geographical locations.

Apart from religions, science was also conceived by the scientists of diverse origin; however, they discovered similar principles. There is no existence of Indian science, British science or American science. All over the world, many pioneer scientists discovered their principles, and later others performed several experiments to help establish those. If some principle was found to be incorrect, soon its inventor accepted the truth. This system of experimentation in the quest for truth was rarely followed by the draftsmen of religions. This fundamental mistake facilitated the birth and the continuance of several religions in the world.
There is one concrete reason behind the existence of many religious concepts and only one science on the earth. About one thing or concept, there is only one truth but there can be many lies. Today, humankind has to conceive a global religion with a humane core. All countries have to write a new Bible of international rules and regulations.

That's like asking why are there a multitude of philosophies and worldviews, and only one science.

For starters science and religion, ultimately don't deal with the same questions. People don't tend to go to church to look for answers as to how the world was made, or where dinosaurs came from, but looking to make sense of their personal lives in the grand scheme of things, looking for meaning and purpose, for community, and friendship, and identity.

As Wittgenstien would say you can answer all the questions of science, and the questions of everyday life would remain untouched.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-01-2017, 12:13 PM
(03-01-2017 03:38 AM)theevolutionofgods Wrote:  This is a food of thought that humanity developed several religions but only one science? Devotees of different religions follow different customs, rituals, prayers, attributes of gods, etc. Each religion has quite a few sects; these sects are further divided as per the geographical locations. Thus, religious concepts of different people are altogether different.

For example, the devotees of one religion sacrifice animals to appease their gods: whereas, the followers of another one propitiate their gods through the service of those animals. To take another example, the idol worship is core of one religion: however, the other one has imposed a taboo over idol worship. Most devotees explain that the discrepancy among religions is because religions originated in different geographical locations.

Apart from religions, science was also conceived by the scientists of diverse origin; however, they discovered similar principles. There is no existence of Indian science, British science or American science. All over the world, many pioneer scientists discovered their principles, and later others performed several experiments to help establish those. If some principle was found to be incorrect, soon its inventor accepted the truth. This system of experimentation in the quest for truth was rarely followed by the draftsmen of religions. This fundamental mistake facilitated the birth and the continuance of several religions in the world.
There is one concrete reason behind the existence of many religious concepts and only one science on the earth. About one thing or concept, there is only one truth but there can be many lies. Today, humankind has to conceive a global religion with a humane core. All countries have to write a new Bible of international rules and regulations.

Welcome to the forum.

I might argue that there are diverse ways of interpreting data, but your point is still well made. There’s really just one science.

But what does that have to do with religion? Just because there’s one science doesn’t mean that there need be only one religion. If there is a G-d, why do you think he must have intended for only one religion and one truth for all people?
03-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Well that's exactly what one would expect to happen. Science, properly defined, is the consistent application of reason to the project of gaining knowledge of reality. It is an objective method of knowledge, a method which must correspond to the dictates of the relationship between his mind and reality.

Religion on the other hand is faith based. It is a subjective method of knowledge. It does not have to conform to reality but only the believers imagination. So there is no reason why there would be one religion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
03-01-2017, 02:14 PM
If you think about it, there have been in fact different types of science. Empiricism, which was the science held by some Greek medical practitioners, or theory based "science" that gave us nonsense like the four humors dogmas of medicine, or the idea that the world of matter was made from earth, water, wind and fire.

As it became more and more apparent that doing science the way that leads to such nonsense does not work, that style of doing science was abandoned.

The other type of bad science was ransacking the Bible (or Quran etc) for dogmatic claims about the nature of the material Universe. Our fundamentalist brothers still are wed to this pseudoscience. Some ideas about how to do science are fruitful and good, others, not.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
03-01-2017, 02:49 PM
(03-01-2017 11:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  As Wittgenstien would say you can answer all the questions of science, and the questions of everyday life would remain untouched.

And Wittgenstein would be wrong. If you are not a part of the control group, I love you. Heart

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-01-2017, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 03:12 PM by Tomasia.)
(03-01-2017 02:49 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And Wittgenstein would be wrong. If you are not a part of the control group, I love you. Heart

He is completely right. You can offer me a variety of scientific facts, and in reality it would amount to no more than someone repeating a series of baseball stats. While all of them may be true, it would just be all together a series of useless knowledge. While I like to hear about new scientific discoveries, etc.. I can't say that this amounts to anything more than a hobbyist pursuit, a luxury of free-time.

Atheists may have far more scientific knowledge on their side, but seem no more better equipped at handling their personal lives, than any run of the mill theist.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-01-2017, 03:10 PM
(03-01-2017 03:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 02:49 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And Wittgenstein would be wrong. If you are not a part of the control group, I love you. Heart

He is completely right. You can offer me a variety of scientific facts, and in reality it would amount to no more than someone repeating a series of baseball stats. While all of them may be true, it would just be all together a series of useless knowledge. While I like to hear about new scientific discoveries, etc.. I can't say that this amounts to anything more than a hobbyist pursuit, a luxury of free-time.

Atheists may have far more scientific knowledge on their side, but seem no more better equipped at handling their personal lives, than any run of the mill theists.

Again, you demonstrate your idiocy. You know, I don't even like you. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2017, 04:13 PM
(03-01-2017 03:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Atheists may have far more scientific knowledge on their side, but seem no more better equipped at handling their personal lives, than any run of the mill theist.

Where DO you get all your straw?!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post