Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 06:43 PM
RE: Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.
(21-12-2015 06:29 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 06:05 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Maybe starting a conversation in a text based medium is not the best choice for a person who can't process concepts that aren't little more then sound bites or the intellectual equivalent of a fucking finger painting?
Laziness is a poor bedfellow for education and if a person wants to respond in 5 words or 500 you either address what they are saying or you excuse yourself from the conversation. You do not get to dictate the conversation anymore then you would to any other person you require education form like a Collage professor.

Laughat Too fucking funny. Bowing

[Image: Secondary-BZ-040615-Fingerpainting-02-1.JPG]

You have no idea how happy I am that someone caught that joke!Thumbsup

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
21-12-2015, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2015 08:04 PM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
(21-12-2015 04:43 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Summing up, to all who mention the word evidence, I love to learn from you, but not too much to read from you, just produce in your own words not more than 50, what is evidence in regard to this board, atheism and theism.

No. Producing definitions in "your own words" leads to bullshit. It is best to go with definitions that are accepted and understood.

wikipedia: Evidence

Quote:Evidence, broadly construed, is anything presented in support of an assertion. This support may be strong or weak. The strongest type of evidence is that which provides direct proof of the truth of an assertion. At the other extreme is evidence that is merely consistent with an assertion but does not rule out other, contradictory assertions, as in circumstantial evidence.

Scientific evidence consists of observations and experimental results that serve to support, refute, or modify a scientific hypothesis or theory, when collected and interpreted in accordance with the scientific method.

In philosophy, the study of evidence is closely tied to epistemology, which considers the nature of knowledge and how it can be acquired.

(21-12-2015 04:43 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Forgive me, even though I say that I want to learn from you posters here, still I have to let readers know what is my own self-thought out concept of evidence, here:

Evidence is anything at all in existence that leads man to know another thing to be existing (17 words).

And, as others have pointed out, that definition is so vague as to be useless and even misleading.

ETA:
Missed this the first read through:
(21-12-2015 04:43 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  And may I, forgive me, again request that whatever you get from published reference sources, you also seek to rewrite it in a way that is not too much to read by people.

Please consider this statement as you compose any future posts, potentially sparing us from more pages of nigh-incomprehensible drivel with which you have already burdened these forums.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-12-2015, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2015 10:15 PM by TheMrBillShow.)
This is god were talking about! The first cause, the prime mover, the alpha and the omega, yes? Does it really take a rambling wall of jargon and jibber-jabber to demonstrate something that is so key to the existence of everything? The fate of my immortal soul rests on my decision on this subject! What if I'm too thick or slow-witted (I know, I know... "Whaddya mean 'if,' Bill?") to comprehend the level of discussion? God creates me stupid and then I get blamed because I lack the mental wherewithal to comprehend god? One would think god's existence could be demonstrated to be blatantly obvious even to the dumbest amongst us (raises hand) without the need for philosophical jargon and long-winded discussions. The stakes involved can't leave room for any doubt or ambiguity, can they?

The more one dances around providing a case based on simple, straightforward evidence, and a case capable of being put forward in clear and concise language, the more obvious it becomes that there's a whole lot of horseshit going on.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
22-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Banjo, for your concept of what is evidence.

[From Pachomius]
Summing up, to all who mention the word evidence, I love to learn from you, but not too much to read from you, just produce in your own words not more than 50, what is evidence in regard to this board, atheism and theism.

Forgive me, even though I say that I want to learn from you posters here, still I have to let readers know what is my own self-thought out concept of evidence, here:

Evidence is anything at all in existence that leads man to know another thing to be existing (17 words).

[From Banjo]
Pachomius Wrote: just produce in your own words not more than 50, what is evidence

Evidence: Factual information. From Latin: That which is seen. More comprehensively, that which is observed.

Now, let us you and I each give an example of evidence.

Here is my example of evidence;

In the scene of an explosion in a hotel room, fire investigators found a piece of a human nose, almost the whole nose, that remains of a nose is the evidence of the presence of a human in the room when the explosion occurred; so they told the security agencies of the country to stop anyone leaving the country who has a mangled nose, and also to contact every hospital to be on the look out for anyone coming for treatment of a mangled nose in his face.

They theorize that the man with what remains of a nose in his face must have been working on a self-improvised explosive device, but the device accidentally blew up as he was working on it.

So, Banjo, please give an example of evidence.

I say, evidence is anything at all existing that leads man to know another thing existing, the remains of a nose is an example of evidence, it leads fire investigators to know the existence of a person at the scene of an explosion.

In your concept of evidence, you forget to mention what is the purpose or role of evidence in the default status of things in the world which is existence.

Everyone, please present your own self-thought out concept of evidence, in precise terms, and don't forget what is the purpose of evidence in the default status of things in the world which is existence.

Everything in the default status of things in the world which is existence, has a purpose or a role to play.

Forgive me, may I remind everyone, give your concept of evidence when you post here again.

Evidence is indeed connected to this thread, because this thread is about my invitation to everyone, "Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists."

Evidence is one of the means to prove the existence of something.
22-12-2015, 01:25 PM
(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Evidence is one of the means to prove the existence of something.

What other means are there? Why don't you just lay it out and quit wasting people's time?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-12-2015, 01:25 PM
(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I say, evidence is anything at all existing that leads man to know another thing existing, the remains of a nose is an example of evidence, it leads fire investigators to know the existence of a person at the scene of an explosion.

No, it does not lead them to know any such thing. It may support the hypothesis that a person was there but it is not conclusive as other scenarios are possible.

Quote:Everyone, please present your own self-thought out concept of evidence, in precise terms, and don't forget what is the purpose of evidence in the default status of things in the world which is existence.

That's not how internet forums work. You do not get to declare how others must respond.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
22-12-2015, 01:53 PM
(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  the default status of things in the world which is existence, has a purpose or a role to play.

Evidence is one of the means to prove the existence of something.

Necessary, but not sufficient.

"The default status of things in the world which is existence" is in fact, a meaningless string of words. You have no clue what you're talking about, and you certainly are incapable of communicating in the English language.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-12-2015, 02:18 PM
(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  In your concept of evidence, you forget to mention what is the purpose or role of evidence in the default status of things in the world which is existence.

Everyone, please present your own self-thought out concept of evidence, in precise terms, and don't forget what is the purpose of evidence in the default status of things in the world which is existence.

Nobody forgot anything. You were given multiple (consistent) definitions of evidence. You were also told, multiple times by multiple posters, that your definition of evidence was unacceptable.

Why don't you provide some evidence as to the purpose of this apparently pointless exercise?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-12-2015, 02:32 PM
The defeault status of things? What things? What about the light switch on my wall? Is the default status of this thing 'off' or 'on'?

We're not getting very far here and I've read "default status of things" enough to want to pop out my eyeballs with a grapefruit spoon. Seriously, this is page 13! Jesus titty banging Christ spit it out already!
22-12-2015, 02:33 PM
(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I say, evidence is anything at all existing that leads man to know another thing existing
And your still wrong, that is an entirely worthless definition of evidence. It's vague tot he point of useless and everyone here knows why, because you NEED it to be vague so you can fit your pet delusion into it once you eventually get to your fucking point.

Evidence has a definition and it's not the one you give because the one you given is hilariously useless and idiotic. Use the correct definition or fuck off.

(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  the remains of a nose is an example of evidence, it leads fire investigators to know the existence of a person at the scene of an explosion.
It does no such thing. "Know" and "Knowledge" also have established definitions. Go learn them you rank amateur.

(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  In your concept of evidence, you forget to mention what is the purpose or role of evidence in the default status of things in the world which is existence.
No one forgot that as "default status of blahblah blah" is a nonsense sentence with no fucking meaning or substance. It's pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Everything in the default status of things in the world which is existence, has a purpose or a role to play.
Nope, both because your still using that stupid ass "default blah blah" bullshit and because "purpose" and "role" imply a "designer" which neither exists nor have you provided any evidence for it's existence.

(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Forgive me, may I remind everyone, give your concept of evidence when you post here again.
No, you can go fuck your self with steel wool, you are not getting that for a fucking 9th time.

(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Evidence is indeed connected to this thread, because this thread is about my invitation to everyone, "Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists."
Evidence IS THE DAMN ANSWER to your idiotic invitation. Scientific Method.

(22-12-2015 01:17 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Evidence is one of the means to prove the existence of something.
Nooooooo evidence is the ONLY way to prove something exists. The only way.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post