Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 07:33 PM
RE: Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.
(18-12-2015 04:54 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  So, if you have kids who do not know the difference between existence and non-existence, tell them what is existence and what is non-existence, by using the example of ice cream left in the freezer, that ice cream is in existence; when they have eaten all of the ice cream, then the ice cream is no longer in existence.

Summing up, let us agree that step 1 and step 2 to prove the existence of something are the following:

1. First we are absolutely certain in our knowledge that the default status of things in the world is existence.

Let's not.
We're not all as simple as you are, Wacky Packy.

The fundamental nature of reality has been proven to be non-intuitive, so wherever you're going with this garbage, Wacky Packy, it's not going to end where you think it will.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2015, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2015 07:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
Speaking of eggs.

Help me separate my yellows from my whites.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
18-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.
I feel you're trying to lead us to a point. Can we jump to it?

If the end result is "God/Zeus/something is real," and that's how it looks, can we deal with that?

I feel like I'm trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle and you're sending me each piece through the mail.
18-12-2015, 10:25 PM
(17-12-2015 02:14 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I have some ideas on how humans prove to themselves that something exists in reality outside their mind.

For example -- and I am not being funny, to prove the existence of the nose in our face, you and I each touch our respective nose, and then we touch each other's nose, and we thus are certain that you and I have a nose in our face.

What do you say?

Please, if you see something you feel not acceptable in my posts, please tell me in details what it is, and I will try to write it again so that you will not anymore complain.
We already have a system for proving stuff and it's called the Scientific Method and it's been giving us reliable, testable, and demonstrably accurate results for centuries now.
We don't need to play stupid fuckin' word games with you while you look for a way to justify your ignorant belief in a stone age deity. Grow up mate, take the shackles off, and think rationally and not in bloody tired platitudes.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-12-2015, 10:38 PM

Question.

At any point along the line here, has the OP offered a working definition for the property of existence? If so, where and what was it?
18-12-2015, 10:58 PM
(18-12-2015 04:54 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  1. First we are absolutely certain in our knowledge that the default status of things in the world is existence.

Existence is the staus of things that exist. It's a wonderful little tautology that goes nowhere. Surprisingly, you've actually regressed from proving that you have a nose.

By conrast, the staus of things that do not exist is nonexistence. Look around your house for flying monkeys. See? Nonexistant.

There is no default status. This is not a Windoze installer where we have to uncheck the "Install Flying Monkeys?" option.

Congrats on giving me a new appreciation of geological rates. This thread is getting to its point at roughly the speed of continental drift.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-12-2015, 10:59 PM
(18-12-2015 10:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Congrats on giving me a new appreciation of geological rates. This thread is getting to its point at roughly the speed of continental drift.

Yabut, whose fault is that?

.... I'll just show myself out.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
18-12-2015, 11:30 PM
step1: properly define what your trying to prove
step2. develop a test to empirically figure out if it exists against the null hypothesis
step3. accept the results
rinse repeat

science 101
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
19-12-2015, 11:12 AM
You can pick your friends or you can pick your nose....

But, you can't pick your friend's nose....

Well, I suppose you could - but you'd need a very demented and patient friend -- a rare combination....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Corn grits?
[Image: summer-corn-grits-sl-x.jpg?itok=Fzm80wcc]

or
Ice cream?
[Image: MIC-3scoops-banner.png]

Existence?
[Image: face-reflection-mirror.jpg]

or non-existence?
[Image: 6a00e54ecc669788330133f248eeb4970b-500wi]

I’m going with this
[Image: 209381-girl-eating-ice-cream.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post