Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2015, 02:50 PM
RE: Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists.
(20-12-2015 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 10:41 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  (1) I exist
(2) I have not always existed. I was born and will die.
(3) My existence was caused by something that existed before me. My parents fucked.
(4) Extend this argument to my parents, their parents, everybody and everything in the Universe and the Universe as a whole.
(5) Existence does not come from non-existence. Something does not come from nothing.
(6) Thus, something must have always existed. If it had not, non-existence would have led to yet more non-existence and we would not exist. This is clearly not the case as it contradicts point 1.

Point 1 is not only unsubstantiated it is likely unsubstantiable. Drinking Beverage

True, but if point 1 isn't true then all else goes out the window. Most epistomolgies have difficulty incorporating the premise "I do not exist."

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
20-12-2015, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2015 03:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-12-2015 02:50 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Point 1 is not only unsubstantiated it is likely unsubstantiable. Drinking Beverage

True, but if point 1 isn't true then all else goes out the window. Most epistomolgies have difficulty incorporating the premise "I do not exist."

Immature ontologies maybe. Not Girly's.

#sigh
20-12-2015, 03:11 PM
(20-12-2015 10:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:56 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Is there a teapot orbiting the Sun?

Millions if not billions of them brother. Big Grin

Now you are exaggerating. The count is now at 777,982.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
20-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Looks let's start with the nose again. There a nose inside your mind and there's a nose on your face. They both exist but scrambled beyond recognition. The problem is we don't know which one is real. We have an IDENTITY CRISIS. To resolve this you command your hand and finger to the area where you think your nose exist. Notice at this point where the figure is traveling is under your command. At some point if the nose exist it will interact with it. The mind would registered as the nose exist. If it travel past that point it will interact with the nose cavity instead of the nose. The mind would registered as the nose doesn't exist. You can use the logic for other things too.
20-12-2015, 04:17 PM
I fail to understand the point of this thread. Am I alone?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Point of thread: Christian apologist able to communicate only in word salad tries to present an argument in the form of word salad and, as a result, never actually gets to the point. Atheist finally gets fed up, does some actual research, and beats the apologist to the punch. Point is dismantled before it can be poorly articulated.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
20-12-2015, 04:27 PM
(20-12-2015 04:23 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Point of thread: Christian apologist able to communicate only in word salad tries to present an argument in the form of word salad and, as a result, never actually gets to the point. Atheist finally gets fed up, does some actual research, and beats the apologist to the punch. Point is dismantled before it can be poorly articulated.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-12-2015, 05:03 PM
(20-12-2015 03:55 PM)5senses Wrote:  Looks let's start with the nose again. There a nose inside your mind and there's a nose on your face. They both exist but scrambled beyond recognition. The problem is we don't know which one is real. We have an IDENTITY CRISIS. To resolve this you command your hand and finger to the area where you think your nose exist. Notice at this point where the figure is traveling is under your command. At some point if the nose exist it will interact with it. The mind would registered as the nose exist. If it travel past that point it will interact with the nose cavity instead of the nose. The mind would registered as the nose doesn't exist. You can use the logic for other things too.

We exist as transmissions. Freedom is the growth of flow, and of us.
The complexity of the present time seems to demand a blossoming of our third eyes if we are going to survive.

It can be difficult to know where to begin. Although you may not realize it, you are Vedic. Have you found your quest?

As you heal, you will enter into infinite understanding that transcends understanding. Through tarot, our brains are baptized in passion. Acupuncture may be the solution to what’s holding you back from a powerful flow of karma.

You and I are storytellers of the planet. Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is rejuvenation. Potentiality is the driver of faith.

Humankind has nothing to lose.
It is in ennobling that we are guided. Eons from now, we beings will reflect like never before as we are awakened by the infinite. This vision quest never ends.

You will soon be re-energized by a power deep within yourself — a power that is astral, dynamic. Prophet, look within and bless yourself. How should you navigate this sublime quantum soup?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-12-2015, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2015 05:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-12-2015 05:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  We exist as transmissions. Freedom is the growth of flow, and of us.
The complexity of the present time seems to demand a blossoming of our third eyes if we are going to survive.

It can be difficult to know where to begin. Although you may not realize it, you are Vedic. Have you found your quest?

As you heal, you will enter into infinite understanding that transcends understanding. Through tarot, our brains are baptized in passion. Acupuncture may be the solution to what’s holding you back from a powerful flow of karma.

You and I are storytellers of the planet. Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is rejuvenation. Potentiality is the driver of faith.

Humankind has nothing to lose.
It is in ennobling that we are guided. Eons from now, we beings will reflect like never before as we are awakened by the infinite. This vision quest never ends.

You will soon be re-energized by a power deep within yourself — a power that is astral, dynamic. Prophet, look within and bless yourself. How should you navigate this sublime quantum soup?

I will kill you last while your wife and children watch while you recite this.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies.

Now, dear readers here, do you notice that the posters who reply, do not as is their disappointing habit attend to the actual issue or subject I have proposed that we all go into, at the present juncture of this thread.

Read the words in bold below:

{Quote starts}
(20-12-2015 06:13 AM)Pachomius Wrote:  In re "Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something exists."

========================

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I guess we have to re-start from the beginning.

[...]

So, let us all take a diversion, to take up seriously the feasibility of a thread with the title, namely:

"Let us work together to concur on how to prove that something DOES NOT exist."

I await with excitement your reactions to that proposal above, and forgive me, I will concentrate on your reactions to that proposal above.

And I promise you, I will follow your lead to contribute to the development of the thread,

{Quote Ends}

Please take the initiative, ask me this question or something like it, but in a brief line, namely:

Is there some idea we can and should work together to concur on, in order that we can prove successfully that something does not exist; you see, my parting statement in my last post here prior to the present one is an earnest request, that

Propose to me something that I should work on with you, so that we both you and I can proceed to prove that something does not exist (or that something exists), like me agreeing to your idea of what it is to prove something in regard to its non-existence or existence.

I said that I need you to do your own personal thinking from your stock knowledge and experience, but it is okay with me now if you go to dictionaries, and reproduce what you read and understand of the verb prove and the noun proof, in the context of the present board, namely:

The Thinking Atheist Forum › The Heavy Stuff > Atheism and Theism

Please forgive me, may I request you to reproduce what you find in dictionaries, in say 50 words or less?

Dear readers, let us sit back and observe whether posters will attend to the actual issue I am inviting them to work on, and I will also work on, this time I will follow their lead.

What is the actual issue at present, in this present message? Here, read the text I will reproduce from above:

"Propose to me something that I should work on with you, so that we both you and I can proceed to prove that something does not exist (or that something exists), like me agreeing to your idea of what it is to prove something in regard to its non-existence or existence."

In few words, Tell me, dear posters here, what do you understand by the verb, to prove, and the noun, proof?

First and before anything else, of course parties in an exchange on a contentious question must come to concurrence on the meanings of important words employed in the exchange. That is proceeding according to critical thinking, otherwise parties would be talking wastefully of time and labr, past each other's heads.