Lets have some fun
Here are six lame arguments trying to prove god. SIX arguments
What do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
RE: Lets have some fun
1. Texas sharpshooter fallacy, sentient puddle syndrome
2. Argument from creation, addressed elsewhere - I'm not typing out the rebuttal again.
3. Bare assertion
4. Bare assertion
5. Confusion of personal experience with evidence
6. Special pleading, confusion of personal experience with evidence

I could go on, but I'm pressed for time, tired and stressed. :/

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I understand what you mean. Finals are coming up for my college. I wish the next eight days would hurry up and be over with.
04-05-2010, 10:27 AM

1. The universe had a begining so someone had to start it. god did it.
2. Humans can think of god.. so god exists.
3. People like to rape and kill things, they don't go around raping and killing things. So god exists.
4. The stars and galaxies are beautiful, so god exists.
5. Kittens are cute, so god exists.
6. Crazy christians died believing in god, so god exists.
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I read them before, and have encountered them several times since. Same old blah - subjectivity, speculation, no tangible evidence.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd love to disassemble her arguments but it's just a waste of time, I'm so tired of people like her and her 'proof' and 'evidence'. I can't even read that article, it's just too terrible and naive.

04-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Ohh there was a link there... I thought I was supposed to make up my own.
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM

[Image: thestupiditburns.jpg]
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I skimmed over it, but I think I can summarize it into one sentence. Science is hard, therefor god exists. However, I will address it seriously. It's not polite to just say someone is wrong, but not why.

1. The first two parts about water and our position in the cosmos shows a lack of understanding of evolution. We are built for this planet, this planet it not built for us. We know of one way life can exist, we do not know of all ways life could exist.
Quote:Yet evolution alone does not fully explain the initial source of the eye or the brain -- the start of living organisms from nonliving matter.
This leads me to question just how science savvy the author is. While not all scientists agree on exactly when the amino acids become alive, they all do agree the first cells did not have eyes or brains. But setting aside factual inaccuracies, this is a classic god of the gaps. I don't know, so it must be god.

2. The real explanation is long and complicated, therefor god exists!

3. A mixture of ,"Gee, that flower is pretty. Therefor god exists" and "I don't know, therefor god exists".

4. Complete lack of understanding of evolution, as previously discovered. The ability to have DNA or RNA that can code for certain proteins and certain times is amazing useful in nature, and given enough time there is no reason to suspect it cannot be attainable through natural means.

5. Wow, it just goes downhill from here.
Quote:I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?! What causes us to do that?
<snip>
I didn't realize that the reason the topic of God weighed so heavily on my mind, was because God was pressing the issue.
If this person was really an atheist, then their beliefs were founded on faulty grounds. I enjoy talking about religion for the same reason I enjoy talking about politics. No, it's not because my inner neo-conservative is trying to get out. I like to think and ponder our world, I like to flex my the "muscle" that is my brain(how many times have I had to explain the brain isn't a real muscle?), as do many people. I've head Unbeliever comment he debates with 9/11 conspiracy theorist, but I think that means he himself is a closet 9/11 conspiracy theorist. The argument could be turned around to ask, if you are so certain that there is a god, why bother trying to convince the idiotic atheists otherwise? It's part of our nature, we like to butt heads with people with opposing views. This one is a case of god's wrath, mercy, and plan, where every event and emotion is somehow god's work.

6. I know the bible is true, it says so right in the bible!

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lets end the space program....because Bible Shadow Fox 13 232 23-07-2014 10:22 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Its December! Christmas is coming! Lets celebrate the Virgin Birth! Denicio 35 3,294 21-03-2012 01:25 PM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  God lets people get raped if you don't pray. TheSometimesCynicalWriter 9 1,141 23-09-2011 03:00 PM
Last Post: Blythe
  Lets have fun! omega21 13 829 03-02-2011 03:41 AM
Last Post: No J.