Lets take another serious talk about life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Lets take another serious talk about life
For everything I say I have 10 thoughts that contradict it. I'm not in the same pitt I was in last time, just a different type of pitt now.
whats your motivation? what goals do you guys/gals have, and how did you come to decide thats what you want to do?

Going through my thoughts and resolving my issues is like tearing down a wall. Wall after wall, after wall, after wall, etc etc etc etc etc. and I'm afraid that when the last one falls, there won't be anything left.

..A somewhat poetic concept comes to mind whenever I look in the mirror... my pupils are like peepholes, the abyss stares out, but sometimes it stares back in.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 04:21 PM
RE: Lets take another serious talk about life
I have the same issue sometimes. I guess it comes down to not being sure of yourself and not knowing which way life will take you. You will constantly change from the day you are born to the day you die , your opinions will never be exactly the same at any two points in your life.

I don't know what motivates me to be honest. When I was 14 all I wanted to do was play videogames even if it meant living in poverty and eating only bread and butter daily.
At 17 I wanted to bee a rockstar and star a band as cool as Metallica and sing for thousands of people worldwide. In college I came up with the idea to invest money and make it work for me.
All those goals still exist but in a much different context. I guess in time you wise up and change your goals and views on life. Every new experience triggers change.

Oh and BTW - that quote from Nietzsche , I wouldn't exactly call poetry , more a well though out philosophical metaphor.
"If you stare long enough into the abyss , the abyss may stare back" Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
28-03-2011, 07:57 PM

There is no purpose for life except for that which life invents for itself.

Life less primitive than us has invented (unconsciously, and almost through physical laws) the desire to reproduce. That is the basic and fundamental motivation of every life form.

This central motivation is visible in unsophisticated human beings. At high school, it just so happens that we have a lot of these people lying around. It is fairly simply to attribute nearly every action they take socially to a motivation of improving their place in the social hierarchy and increasing their access to the mate pool, to put it in entirely insensitive terms.

I consider myself, justly or unjustly, to be slightly more sophisticated than the average high schooler. So, what motivates me? It would be arrogant and pretentious of me to suggest that I do not ever succumb to Darwinian impulses.

But in general, for my own intellectual satisfaction, I must find another motive(s). Again, my only purpose for living is what I invent myself. Fundamentally, I would consider my motivation behind living life to its fulling to be the fact that the alternative to life is death.

In other words, I am given the opportunity to temporarily observe and experience the rich wonderfulness of the universe we live in. I must make the most of it because after this finite period of time has passed, I am greeted by eternal darkness. No, even more. "I" do not exist. This quantity becomes totally meaningless.

So, here I am, having been given this wonderful opportunity to explore the universe. This desire to explore the world around me is the motivation upon I justify pursuing an academic career, so I can pursue a career in physics (the deepest level of universal exploration). It motivates me to get involved in politics and the issues shaping this humble refuge of life in the great abyss.

You may call my cynical for suggesting that life must be lived because the alternative to life is death, but I would just like to say that I love life, and I attempt to look at the really deep things with a sense of objective emotion detachment. Because to be honest, all this philosophical pandering doesn't have a major impact on me day to day. I just go and live life.
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 08:02 PM
what I do started out as a hobby back in the mid-80s and evolved into my career.
As far as goals go, when I get serious about something, I make sure the goal I set
is attainable and go for it. Like: graduating from university was attainable ( i did it),
becoming an oil tycoon isn't (for me, anyway). If you set goals that are definitely out
of reach you will always be disappointed. That said, when you decide upon a thing you
want to achieve, you have to give it your all. None of this half-assed trying stuff, or you
won't succeed.
28-03-2011, 08:09 PM
My only advice would be to try not compare yourself to other people. I don't know if you're doing that or not, or if this is just an internal struggle for you.

Do you think you are? I'll go more into it if you do.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
29-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Your posts keep my thought processes running. (how's that for purpose)

And now, to add some irony...
Theists don't really know it either...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I always have been the one people go to advice, yet I can't solve my own problems, hows that for irony?
I do judge myself quite heavily. If you could be legally punished for things you've done to yourself than I'd have quite a heavy conviction of abuse, negligence and attempted murder. I guess I blame myself for it mostly because I see there were things I obviously could've done differently and that a rational person WOULD do differently. My life's been wasted all these years rotting when I should have been trying to improve myself, because now trying to pull myself out of the dark is like climbing a 90 degree cliff with greased hands.

"I'm gonna change the world!" cmon really? how stupid can you be? hows some misfit thats never been able to actually help himself help anybody else?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
30-03-2011, 12:04 AM
(29-03-2011 06:00 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  "I'm gonna change the world!" cmon really? how stupid can you be? hows some misfit thats never been able to actually help himself help anybody else?
Clearly your own problems are of a different nature then the ones other people bring to you to solve...

(Btw: Did you know some people bring problems to you they don't really want you to solve?)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-03-2011, 12:40 AM
(28-03-2011 03:51 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  Going through my thoughts and resolving my issues is like tearing down a wall. Wall after wall, after wall, after wall, etc etc etc etc etc. and I'm afraid that when the last one falls, there won't be anything left.

That won't happen. When you run out of walls you will have freedom.
What is really scaring you is that you are leaving your comfort zone everytime you resolve an issue. Since freedom is outside your comfort zone it is very scary. Each time you tear down a wall you feel extremely uncomfortable in the process. This passes because you become comfortable with the new mindset. Then you tear down another wall and it is another uncomfortable episode. With each wall torn down you will have more peace with yourself and become more genuinely happy. You may never run out of walls, but you will be happy you tore down the ones you did.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
30-03-2011, 06:00 PM
(28-03-2011 03:51 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  whats your motivation? what goals do you guys/gals have, and how did you come to decide thats what you want to do?

I really only have one goal at the moment, 'cause it's a lot easier to focus on just one thing at a time. My goal is to get a PhD in English Literature. I decided that this is what I want to do because I've always loved to read, and well, let's face it, I was reading the Odyssey, the Iliad, and The Canterbury Tales when I was in high school Tongue

What motivates me is twofold. Part of me just wants to do what will make me happy. Part of me wants to stubbornly do something that is considered useless to the general public. I want to strive against the utilitarian mindset and do something for the sake of enjoyment.

It took me a while to figure this out though. I went to university with the intention of doing something completely different, changed my program, transferred to a different school (moving cities in the process) and now I am much happier (though I still have an enormous workload. But it'll be worth it in the end Big Grin)

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let's talk about mental illnesses. anonymous66 9 176 07-06-2014 02:20 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  SLOMO and the meaning of life Full Circle 1 74 02-04-2014 08:27 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life? Free_Thinker 86 6,920 07-11-2013 01:13 PM
Last Post: Christsays
  Life in Rat Park, Where Substances Aren't Addictive bbeljefe 1 306 05-06-2013 05:06 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Grow a beard, and save your own life! TheBeardedDude 15 1,240 13-03-2013 07:14 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs Percepticon 9 790 02-03-2013 02:05 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  I may need some help (trigger warning: talk of suicide) RexyRexaw 28 1,253 11-12-2012 02:42 AM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf