Lets talk about controversial issues: Assisted Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2011, 06:18 PM

RE: Lets talk about controversial issues: Assisted Suicide
(06-06-2011 06:07 PM)Diederick Wrote:  GassyKitten, I was commenting on the notion that some theists think euthanasia is like playing God. The comparison between the passiveness of unhealthy lifestyles and taking a more direct and active approach to killing oneself, was to argue that we are in control of our lives and deaths and that they are the same responsibility or God-playing. One is simply more direct and thus confronting than the other, which really shouldn't matter but, as we all know, superficial appearance kind of does matter to a great many people. As for Ratzinger, he's supposed to have a direct line with God so he could answer my question, since I don't have His number...

Basically I was agreeing with you. Tongue

I know. I was just reiterating my point in a new way. Smile And talking more ears off corn, is all.
I missed a few stalks in northern Nebraska, last post. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GassyKitten's post
29-06-2011, 10:35 PM

I want feedback on non-assisted suicide ( never want anybody left behind that may feel remorse or guilt for my decision ) due to incurible bone disease(s) Avascular Necrosis is the worst but I also have degenerative bone, joint and disc disease as well, and lets not forget Osteo Arthritis (acute, severe), that all started and diagnosed within the past 5 years. The pain has become intolerable, bedridden 65% of the time, and really tired of surgeries (6), MRI's(32) ,Xrays(too many to count), doctors, and medication. I need basically all jionts replaced and many more surgeries as my bones die. I'll be worth alot in scrap titanium, and look like Raggedy Ann with all my scars.
I've always been a Type A personality , an over achiever with 3 degrees from college . I'm a single 48 year old single mother. I have a 23 year old daughter in St. John's Univ. Radiology program. She is the only reason holding me back. Over the past 2 years I feel I'm holding her back she comes to practially all my appointments. The worse this gets and the inability to do everyday things makes me feel useless and like a burden, I can tell it plays a toll on my daughter as well. My daughter knows how I feel about suicide for this reason. I had her watch Dr. Kavokian video and documentries regarding the subject, at first she didn't want to hear it, but she does realize the difference between suicide for shame, revenge, and mental instability, as opposed to one who does this due to pain and an incurible disease.
Please give me feedback
Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Personally, I would support a family members decision, if they were in your position. At the same time though, I would do all I could to help them to achieve a quality of life they felt worth living for first. I would suggest as many alternatives as possible first. Do you feel you've tried all you can to make your disease bearable? I had someone close to me that suffered from cancer for a long time. She contemplated suicide, and we discussed it several times. She chose instead to stop the treatments (lots of chemo and radiation, along with a shitload of nasty drugs) and instead let the cancer run it's course, and in the meantime live life. She discovered that medical marijuana alleviated 90% of her pain (those of you who've read my thoughts on medical pot in other threads now know where my opinion comes from) and allowed her to enjoy her remaining time. I'm not suggesting pot, or any other treatment, I am simply suggesting you look at all your options, even if they don't seem like options.
I admire the courage it must take to open yourself up to some scary ideas, and suicide can be a scary one. I can only suggest that you consider other ideas as well, even if they are scary, unconventional, or down right wacky. Consider EVERYTHING, then decide what is best for you.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2011, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2011 09:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-06-2011 10:35 PM)mcmo19 Wrote:  I want feedback on non-assisted suicide ( never want anybody left behind that may feel remorse or guilt for my decision ) ... but she does realize the difference between suicide for shame, revenge, and mental instability, as opposed to one who does this due to pain and an incurible disease.
Please give me feedback

I'm not a fan of assisted suicide but I am a fan of non-assisted suicide as perhaps arguably the only potentially tenable expression of free will. If I were to find myself in similar circumstances I would first try hallucinogens and psychedelics to see if I could find and hold a perspective which I could just ride on out. If not, dunno what I'd do. But I know I'd have enough toxic shit at hand that I wouldn't need any assistance. (Actually, I've had a "go" bag for a couple decades now. Probably saved my life more than once. Everyone should have one.) I can't sincerely pray for you, mcmo19, but I can sincerely weep.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply