Letter from a Catholic Church to its members

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 11:53 AM
RE: Letter from a Catholic Church to its members
(17-12-2013 10:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 06:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  What is the problem with this? Look, it strikes me odd that people think that shit in life is free.

Religion, no matter how altruistic is claims to be, it is a business and provides a service. The service is a saving of your soul. Priceless if you ask me.

So - you were provided a service for one hour - you should pay for that service. There are some people who don't think twice about dropping $80 for a relaxing massage. If you ask me, even though a massage is more expensive per week, at least that service doesn't give you eternal damnation if you get a happy ending.

Providing goods and services isn't free. The wine costs money since Jesus isn't making that shit outta water anymore. Maybe he is on back order, I dunno. Bread costs money. Heat, electricity, everything costs money.

So even if you disagree with the services provided, why shouldn't they charge for it?

If you miss your weekly massage, you aren't expected to pay double the next time around.

Right, but you get this service no matter if you are using it or not. Ie, your cable tv. You pay, no matter if you turn it on or not. Its there for you.

Thats like renting an apartment and not paying the rent for the time you were out of town.

You belong to a church. that church must pay its expenses to keep the doors open.That priest must be on staff to give last rites to anyone who needs it at the last minute so to speak.

I don't find this unfair at all. What is unfair, is the amount of people that think that there is such a thing as a free lunch. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 01:21 PM
(17-12-2013 10:19 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Your presence isn't needed just your moneyBig Grin
This "free pass" sounds a bit ominousTongue
I wonder how much overhead a church actually needs.

The free pass thing is what really got me. It is a sin to miss church and according to church rules you can't take communion until you atone for that. This priest is saying donations make up for that

It's like selling indulgences.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2013, 01:34 PM
(17-12-2013 01:21 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  The free pass thing is what really got me. It is a sin to miss church and according to church rules you can't take communion until you atone for that. This priest is saying donations make up for that

I agree with the free pass thing being like selling indulgences. I'm not sure he meant it that way. I don't have a problem with the priest pointing out that because of the weather church attendance....and consequently collections are down.
17-12-2013, 02:58 PM
(16-12-2013 10:35 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:35 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  A friend who is a catholic, and attends Mass semi regularly got this email. This really pisses me off....

It pisses you off that your friend goes to church semi-regularly?
That someone sent someone else an email?
That people are allowed to do stuff with their own money like make donations?
That your friend tells you stuff?

Consider

Deliberate obtuse much, troll?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
17-12-2013, 02:59 PM
(17-12-2013 01:21 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 10:19 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Your presence isn't needed just your moneyBig Grin
This "free pass" sounds a bit ominousTongue
I wonder how much overhead a church actually needs.

The free pass thing is what really got me. It is a sin to miss church and according to church rules you can't take communion until you atone for that. This priest is saying donations make up for that

Sometimes I wonder if people are supposed to go to church until death. You read the bible, you listen to the preacher and then you make your own decision to move away from the church or not. Its a like a support group, isn't it? You're not supposed to go indefinitely, take what you want from it, learn from it if you can and move on. It just seems counterproductive. Are they really covering anything new? Besides all the propaganda...I was at my cousins wedding and the priest was going on about how unbelievers can not know god and can not know love the way these two can. It's sickening to hear something like that and the wedding was less about them but more of an excuse to stand on a soap box which is even more sickening.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
17-12-2013, 03:04 PM
(17-12-2013 06:24 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Look, it strikes me odd that people think that shit in life is free.

"SHIT" being the operative word here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
17-12-2013, 03:27 PM
(16-12-2013 10:40 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  "My expectation" what a douche. Dodgy

I thought you were talking about LionIRC Smile , then I saw the quotation marks and realized you were talking about the 'pastor'. Or maybe both? :dum:dum:dum:

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
17-12-2013, 03:35 PM
(17-12-2013 11:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 10:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If you miss your weekly massage, you aren't expected to pay double the next time around.

Right, but you get this service no matter if you are using it or not. Ie, your cable tv. You pay, no matter if you turn it on or not. Its there for you.

Thats like renting an apartment and not paying the rent for the time you were out of town.

You belong to a church. that church must pay its expenses to keep the doors open.That priest must be on staff to give last rites to anyone who needs it at the last minute so to speak.

I don't find this unfair at all. What is unfair, is the amount of people that think that there is such a thing as a free lunch. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

So, you have to keep making payments to God whether you are visiting his house or not? Really...wow.

God is like cable, he is always there waiting for you to tune in...as long as you pay your dues. Excellent.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
17-12-2013, 04:04 PM
(17-12-2013 11:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  There is no such thing as a free lunch.
You strike me as an Economist

The issue here is a question of value. Very few catholics would really consider paying $8000 weekly in offerings per week even if their soul depended on it.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
17-12-2013, 05:41 PM
(17-12-2013 04:04 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 11:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  There is no such thing as a free lunch.
You strike me as an Economist

The issue here is a question of value. Very few catholics would really consider paying $8000 weekly in offerings per week even if their soul depended on it.

I'm pretty sure he means 8000 total collection. As in from everybody. Catholics are incredibly cheap when it comes to the collection plate. People normally give 5, 10 or 20. My guess is that this parish is not doing so well. Even a small church should be able to sit 400 and if they do 4 masses. Given that the church is rarely full. A good guess might be 1000 people a weekend. So five bucks each.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc