Letter from a church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2016, 08:34 PM
RE: Letter from a church
So yeah, just chiming in from the side of the Loyal Opposition here, but her hiding that is NOT okay. DLJ's post is probably the best way to really deal with it, and even if you do want to be direct, wait until after the wedding probably. Just in case it would create some friction between you and your wife, it wouldn't be good to go to a thing angry at each other, or possibly have that friction picked up on and sour the event for someone else.

Also seconding Anjele's statement that it is not okay to write an 8 year old, rather than the parents, as they did. They probably view it as allowing the little children to come unto Jesus, but it still isn't right.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-07-2016, 08:40 PM
(08-07-2016 11:25 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  A letter arrived today from a local church addressed to my 8 YO son. ... It read the following:

Quote:Dear Justin,
I am so excited to hear that you prayed to accept Jesus as your savior. He is smiling down on you!! (Went on with more shit)

Hah. 8 yo is when I ingested the Holy Spirit. 7 years later I committed the unforgivable sin of regurgitating it. Trust your son. At least that's what I did with my 4 offspring being raised Catholic. They are all fine young adult atheists now.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-07-2016, 07:18 AM
So as an update, we did wind up talking about it. She brought it up to me. In response to a few questions, yes I did know he was attending VBS there, she makes them go. And she put it in her purse because she was going to talk to our son about it. What upset me about this conversation is that she actually said that why would I want to know because was I going to inject doubt into his head. Like that's a fucking problem. I hate that she is so deluded that she doesn't realize that doubt is what allows us to ascertain what is true from what is false. It wasn't a bad talk/ She tried to come to TTA for a second because I said that you can't choose your beliefs. She seems to think you can even though I provided a few examples that refute that. Unfortunately, when I needed the forum, it was down. Sad

The wedding went fine although I was rather disgusted at what my softball buddy said about marriage. That a woman needs to submit to a man bu the man only needs to love the woman. I have no idea why any woman would support that misogynistic view of marriage, and also to completely ignore that the passage in Ephesians does not define marriage as one man and one woman. I have the feeling that I was the only one in the church that felt that way. My wife and I have a partnership, I don't want a submissive woman. I want an equal. I have no idea why any woman would think that is a good way to view marriage: with an invisible wizard at the center who does not communicate to you in any discernible way.

I want me sons to respect women, not to view them as people who need to submit to them in every way (which is what he said). I want them to want an equal. To respect the woman they are with as equals and not view her as some subservient penis pocket (as Mark Driscoll refers to women).

The irony is that that my wife, while looking up what I said about choosing your beliefs, came across a website where they said that theists are viewed by atheists as credulous. When I pointed out to her the she does not know why we view them that way, she then went about saying that she had no time or interest to learn about why I view her religion negatively.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
10-07-2016, 07:25 AM
You can't expect a kid to go into a bar without getting drunk -- how do you expect them to go into a church without getting just as drunk on the Jesus juice????

There should be a "thinking age" - like a drinking age ---- you gotta be 21 before you can try the juice.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post