Letting Go of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: Letting Go of God
(29-11-2012 02:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-11-2012 10:42 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I agree. I'm tired of hearing from believers how much better off the world is because of religion. It's just the opposite; it holds us back waiting for things that will never happen by counting on gods that don't exist. And it sets us up to be divided and to rebuke and/or condemn people over ridiculous matters.

I think it's today that someone pointed out on the forum a news article about a guy who was very nearly jailed for pointing out that water seeping from a 'weeping' statue was in fact sewage water. For this he was charged under blasphemy laws. How can we be bright enough to build computers and go to the stars if we're this fucking thick?
I don't know why this song entered my head today (this is just the first part):

Jesus loves the little children,
All the little children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
They are precious in his sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Everything is beautiful in it's own way.

Like the starry summer night, or a snow-covered winter's day.
And everybody's beautiful in their own way.
Under God's heaven, the world's gonna find the way.

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

We must not close our minds; we must let our thoughts be free.
For every hour that passes by, we know the world gets a little bit older.
It's time to realize that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

I found the bolded paragraph - especially its first sentence - rather ironic since it can be interpreted opposite to it's intended meaning. None so blind as a person who is offered a rationale explanation for a "weeping" statue and simply doesn't want to know...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Blind in that sense is meant...or at least in my ex-church, to mean something along the lines of being blind to how great god is, his mystery and all that, not necessarily meaning being blind to reality. God's truth overrides realty in other words.

Therefore they would basically say that the guy who brought up the faulty plumbing is blind for not seeing the miracle of God via the weepy statue, no matter how it happened. God caused the plumbing to leak to make the statue cry.

That's the logic.
06-12-2012, 03:59 AM
God wants you to eat shit because... ?

Well, in reality *everyone* deserves to eat shit. So God is making a holy metaphor for how totally depraved we are. Dodgy

It's so fucking easy to come up with this rubbish, how come we haven't evolved a decent bullshit detector in how many millennia of being on the planet ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
(29-11-2012 12:22 AM)kpax Wrote:  It's been almost four months since I began my de-conversion. Already I've noticed improvements to my life outside and in.

The most recent was finally finding answers to internal struggles I've been trying to find answers to most of my life.

Now I am beginning to realize that prayer and worship keeps us in sort of a hope loop. I used to believe that one day opportunities and certain realizations would just sort of happen, maybe by an answered prayer. That for some reason God was making me wait.

Now I understand how things really are in my hands and I don't have to wait and wish for better things to come along.

I think that is the real miracle. If only more people understood this and really helped others who are struggling in life or did the work to answer their own hopes and prayers.

I don't want to be that person anymore I was just 4+ months ago.

Nice to hear your POV on this. I spent years as a fundie. It took me a long time to let go of god or even harder to accept that there was no such thing as a literal hell.
Now its obvoius that its the greatest fairy tale ever told!
At around age 26 is when i began to let go. BUT what i did notice is that in those 26 years i got little done. I spent time in prayer on big life decisions...waiting for the gentle voice from god and meeting with fellow christians who would also pray with me about this big decision (what ever the issue of the day was). What i realize now is prayer is a cop out to putting on your 'big boy' pants and OWNING a decision. PRAYER is the PAUSE button for life. It puts every decision in a longer than necessary holding pattern. TOTALLY unnecessary. When i started making MY OWN decisions about things...i noticed that LIFE started to happen to me and all around me. Christiantiy WAS slavery. Slavery of the mind. And to think the christians proclaim "FREEDOM" with christ due to the fact they are not shackled with the slavery of sin. What a load of bullocks!
Prayer is a Pause Button
Prayer is greyhound chasing its tail while the rest of the dogs cross the finish line.
Prayer is talking to your imaginary friend.
NOTHING fails like Prayer!
D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
(06-12-2012 12:15 PM)Denicio Wrote:  What i realize now is prayer is a cop out to putting on your 'big boy' pants and OWNING a decision. PRAYER is the PAUSE button for life. It puts every decision in a longer than necessary holding pattern. TOTALLY unnecessary. When i started making MY OWN decisions about things...i noticed that LIFE started to happen to me and all around me.
I know what you mean! I noticed the same thing. I was waiting around for god to solve all my problems as were my Christian friends.

What I noticed was when things didn't happen that meant it wasn't god's will. I began to wonder what my two hands, two feet and brain were for.

Then they say we have free will. Unless something you pray for doesn't happen then it wasn't god's will which cancels out your free will, I guess. Confusing and unnecessary!

Life and the things that happen make so much more sense now.

I've been more productive with a much more positive outlook these past few months than I have ever been in my life!
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post