Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means
it has occurred to me recently that christians have a tradition going back many generations of telling us what "atheism" means, practically speaking, even if their messages often conflict with one another. I call this tradition the Fantasy Atheist (FA) model.

For example, the FA apparently grows up as a traditional theist, yet one day he perversely decides to have a meaningless life from then on by denying belief in god. This newly minted FA spends of the rest of his days struggling with nihilism, hopelessness, despair, the abyss and so forth, apparently like a teen going through a goth phase or something.

Yet at the same time, the FA signals his depravity and his alienation from god by engaging in swinging, promiscuous sex, though I don't see why or how he would feel like doing that if he feels like shit emotionally all the time.

Christians could get away with their propaganda against the FA, despite its contradictions, back when most christians could spend their entire lives without meeting openly godless people. But today enough real atheists exist that social scientists can study our demographics and our real beliefs and behaviors to see that we don't behave like the FA model at all. In fact, the alleged sexual harassment at atheist conventions shows that atheist men have trouble picking up women at these events, even if the FA propaganda characterizes atheist women as sluts.

So how much longer can christians get away with telling everyone their nonsense about the FA before they lose credibility?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes advancedatheist's post
17-07-2012, 10:02 PM
RE: Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means
ehh I give it 30years.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-07-2012, 11:36 PM

Honestly, who cares what Christians think anymore? We elected Barak Obama, and if we don't re-elect him, we'll be electing a Mormon. Christians are irrelevant. You're going to have to find something more important to do with your time than fighting Christian opinions.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Egor's post
18-07-2012, 12:02 AM
That's right Egor, now we need to start fighting Mormons, better safe than sorry. Smile

But on the other hand, we must not let the Christian folks run wild, we must keep them in check, so that we are ready next time they start going fundamental on our asses...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-07-2012, 12:23 AM
(17-07-2012 11:36 PM)Egor Wrote:  Honestly, who cares what Christians think anymore? We elected Barak Obama, and if we don't re-elect him, we'll be electing a Mormon. Christians are irrelevant. You're going to have to find something more important to do with your time than fighting Christian opinions.
But Mormons call themselves Christians... To not consider them Christians we would have to stop accepting Christians from telling us who are not Christians.. So umm.. what now? I've made myself confused... Shocking

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-07-2012, 12:35 AM
(17-07-2012 09:51 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  it has occurred to me recently that christians have a tradition going back many generations of telling us what "atheism" means, practically speaking, even if their messages often conflict with one another. I call this tradition the Fantasy Atheist (FA) model.

For example, the FA apparently grows up as a traditional theist, yet one day he perversely decides to have a meaningless life from then on by denying belief in god. This newly minted FA spends of the rest of his days struggling with nihilism, hopelessness, despair, the abyss and so forth, apparently like a teen going through a goth phase or something.

Yet at the same time, the FA signals his depravity and his alienation from god by engaging in swinging, promiscuous sex, though I don't see why or how he would feel like doing that if he feels like shit emotionally all the time.

Christians could get away with their propaganda against the FA, despite its contradictions, back when most christians could spend their entire lives without meeting openly godless people. But today enough real atheists exist that social scientists can study our demographics and our real beliefs and behaviors to see that we don't behave like the FA model at all. In fact, the alleged sexual harassment at atheist conventions shows that atheist men have trouble picking up women at these events, even if the FA propaganda characterizes atheist women as sluts.

So how much longer can christians get away with telling everyone their nonsense about the FA before they lose credibility?
I know a lot of Christians... not a single one believes like that. In short, the Christians I know do not equate atheism to being immoral. They are actually lumped into the category of "lost" people. Each lost person is held to their own standards and general morality. Gay people are seen as more immoral than atheist... at least in the Southern Baptist realm of thinking.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Like KC, I don't think I know any Christians myself that have that view of Atheists.
I myself usually just go by the general definition of Atheism.
I like the way Wikipedia puts it - "Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

So, in a broad sense, it's the rejection of belief in God. In the Narrower sense, it's a position holding that there is no God.
But if an Atheist explains that this view is incorrect, then I usually just say they are a "different" Atheist.

Although, I really don't care most of the time.
I've known much more Atheists in my time to be more civil than many Christians I know... Dodgy

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
18-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Hey, Advanced.

I know exaaaaaactly how you feel. Atheists try to tell me what an Agnostic is all the time Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
18-07-2012, 09:17 AM
(18-07-2012 12:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 09:51 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  it has occurred to me recently that christians have a tradition going back many generations of telling us what "atheism" means, practically speaking, even if their messages often conflict with one another. I call this tradition the Fantasy Atheist (FA) model.

I know a lot of Christians... not a single one believes like that. In short, the Christians I know do not equate atheism to being immoral. They are actually lumped into the category of "lost" people. Each lost person is held to their own standards and general morality. Gay people are seen as more immoral than atheist... at least in the Southern Baptist realm of thinking.
I didn't make up this stereotype. Conservapedia, for example, takes this line. I know some people consider Conservapedia an Onion-like parody, but I rather doubt that:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_morality
18-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Big Letters
always make a stronger argument.
always.

Anywho... KC lives in Mayberry. Prolly never been two miles from his parents house. Community of TV-land God-fearing drones preserved intact from the fifties... Dodgy

While I've been all over the USA, and these Christians are the nastiest, hateful, most petty self-absorbed fungal outcropping in the history of evolution. But as to "let," the majority labels the minority, and that's all there is to it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post