Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2012, 09:38 AM
RE: Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means
(18-07-2012 09:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Big Letters
always make a stronger argument.
always.

Also helps a lot if you say "fact", before and after everthin ya say. Fact.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-07-2012, 09:44 AM
(18-07-2012 09:17 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 12:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know a lot of Christians... not a single one believes like that. In short, the Christians I know do not equate atheism to being immoral. They are actually lumped into the category of "lost" people. Each lost person is held to their own standards and general morality. Gay people are seen as more immoral than atheist... at least in the Southern Baptist realm of thinking.
I didn't make up this stereotype. Conservapedia, for example, takes this line. I know some people consider Conservapedia an Onion-like parody, but I rather doubt that:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_morality

I'm not doubting their existence; I'm just saying I live in an heavily Christian area... in the deep, deep, deep, almost in the Gulf of Mexico, South, and I haven't come across these types of people.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-07-2012, 09:50 AM
(18-07-2012 09:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Anywho... KC lives in Mayberry. Prolly never been two miles from his parents house. Community of TV-land God-fearing drones preserved intact from the fifties... Dodgy

C'mon now, John... no need for that.

I've lived in some of worst states for stereotypes for Christians, and I haven't seen these types of people.

I've lived in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

I've had extended stays in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Missouri, Tennessee, Indiana, and Florida, and I've never seen these types of Christians.

I've had brief visits to South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware, and I've never seen these types of Christians.

18-07-2012, 10:22 AM
(18-07-2012 09:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  C'mon now, John... no need for that.

not now john we gotta get on with the film show

'Cause you're one of them, silly. Can't tell me Holy Spirit ain't part of the chemical context, I've been there, but most Christians only simulate Spirit and have no conception of its reality - or they wouldn't be so fucking nasty.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-07-2012, 10:25 AM
(18-07-2012 10:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 09:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  C'mon now, John... no need for that.

not now john we gotta get on with the film show

'Cause you're one of them, silly. Can't tell me Holy Spirit ain't part of the chemical context, I've been there, but most Christians only simulate Spirit and have no conception of its reality - or they wouldn't be so fucking nasty.

Dang dude...

Really?

Kinda shocked you just said that to me.

18-07-2012, 10:34 AM
(18-07-2012 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 10:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  not now john we gotta get on with the film show

Dang dude...

Really?

Dude. I'm "one of them." I don't know how to put in into atheistic terms, but Christians et al assume I'm Christian, even when I talk about stuff like this. Faith is a real thing, that can be sensed, somehow...

And I get to ranting on Christians 'cause I can remember their nastiness like it was just now, but there's overlap in my memories from before and after the LC and shit...

And no matter wtf comes out of my mouth, I ain't tossing nobody in hell... so there it is.

Big Letterz ftw. Big Grin

18-07-2012, 10:41 AM
(18-07-2012 10:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Dang dude...

Really?

Dude. I'm "one of them." I don't know how to put in into atheistic terms, but Christians et al assume I'm Christian, even when I talk about stuff like this. Faith is a real thing, that can be sensed, somehow...

And I get to ranting on Christians 'cause I can remember their nastiness like it was just now, but there's overlap in my memories from before and after the LC and shit...

And no matter wtf comes out of my mouth, I ain't tossing nobody in hell... so there it is.

Regardless if you present it as self-ridicule, do you think it really justifies calling me "one of them" ie not a Christian but one of the "types" of Christians this thread is about?

Just thought you knew me better than that.

18-07-2012, 10:51 AM
(18-07-2012 10:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 10:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dude. I'm "one of them." I don't know how to put in into atheistic terms, but Christians et al assume I'm Christian, even when I talk about stuff like this. Faith is a real thing, that can be sensed, somehow...

Regardless if you present it as self-ridicule, do you think it really justifies calling me "one of them" ie not a Christian but one of the "types" of Christians this thread is about?

I don't remember saying anything about "type." Big Grin

Are you just looking to get offended, or what, cause that ain't wtf I'm talking about. Nobody thinks you're that "type" of Christian. And I don't know where you're getting I'm doing some kind of self-ridicule. Maybe the baby kept you up all night, and I had too much Gwynnies, but we're just gonna go the fuck away, now.

18-07-2012, 10:55 AM
(18-07-2012 05:49 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Advanced.

I know exaaaaaactly how you feel. Atheists try to tell me what an Agnostic is all the time Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
I have nothing of value to add to this thread. I just wanted to say I remember that commercial vividly and all it did was make me wish I had cooler parents.

Ok, carry on.

Oh, before I go, I just wanted to say that everyone who lumps an entire group of people into a category and then blames them for all being in that category is a fool. Everyone who does that, without exception.

Ok, now carry on.

Sorry for the interruption.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
18-07-2012, 10:55 AM
(18-07-2012 10:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 10:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Regardless if you present it as self-ridicule, do you think it really justifies calling me "one of them" ie not a Christian but one of the "types" of Christians this thread is about?

I don't remember saying anything about "type." Big Grin

Are you just looking to get offended, or what, cause that ain't wtf I'm talking about. Nobody thinks you're that "type" of Christian. And I don't know where you're getting I'm doing some kind of self-ridicule. Maybe the baby kept you up all night, and I had too much Gwynnies, but we're just gonna go the fuck away, now.

Yeah, maybe. I probably just read it wrong. My bad.