Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2012, 11:39 AM
RE: Letting christians tell us what "atheism" means
I used to be "one of those Christians". I had been taught by various church leaders that morals come from God and those who reject God do so to reject morality. It's a shameful lie. I was taught what and who atheists are by the church. Some Christians define atheists because that's what they are taught that atheists are... taught by people who don't know atheists and who create stereotypes based on what they think an atheist must be because of little semi-theological quips like, "Everyone has a God-shaped hole in their heart that they are trying to fill with something." Or, "Everyone worships something- if you're not worshiping God then you're worshiping something else: TV, the computer, video games, their work, belongings, sex, etc."

Until you meet an atheist face to face, and get to know them personally, then that lie can continue unopposed in your mind. It's not about not thinking critically in this case, it's about experience. When you're taught something by leadership in the church, their authority carries a (sometimes) incorrect assumption of experience; so it's assumed that they know what they're talking about, but they don't.

It wasn't until I met the woman who is now my wife that I learned otherwise. Until I experienced for myself what kind of a person an atheist really is.

There is a lot of crap like that spread around churches.

You might not have witnessed it KC, but I certainly have. Maybe it's because we were in different church circles? I spent a lot of time in Assemblies of God churches... and let me tell you the Pentecostals are whack, man. For a lot of reasons- not just the speaking in tongues and stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
18-07-2012, 12:25 PM
(18-07-2012 10:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, maybe. I probably just read it wrong. My bad.

No. My bad. You can't have it. Hug

I was using Christian to mean "spiritual person" and Christian to mean "evil fuck." We're both the first kind of "Christian," dood. Even though I hate the term "spiritual." And I was gonna go off on another argument, but we can do that some other time. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Not possessing a religious basis for morality, atheists are fundamentally incapable of having a coherent system of morality - Conservapedia.

Who doesn't belong in America pole?

Jews
7.6%

New Immagrants
12.5%

Conservative Christians
13.5%

Hispanics
20.0%

Homosexuals
22.6%

Muslims
26.3%

Atheists
40.0%

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
18-07-2012, 12:42 PM
(18-07-2012 12:39 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Not possessing a religious basis for morality, atheists are fundamentally incapable of having a coherent system of morality - Conservapedia.

Who doesn't belong in America pole?

Jews
7.6%

New Immagrants
12.5%

Conservative Christians
13.5%

Hispanics
20.0%

Homosexuals
22.6%

Muslims
26.3%

Atheists
40.0%

Conservapedia, the gift that keeps on ginving, or something like that Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
18-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Why the fuck you fucking fucks crediting Conservapedia for anything? Ya fucks. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Conservapedia is probably the best, most accurate collection of information on the Internet.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
18-07-2012, 01:06 PM
(18-07-2012 12:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Conservapedia is probably the best, most accurate collection of information on the Internet.
After Answers in Genesis, of course.

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-07-2012, 01:12 PM
(18-07-2012 01:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 12:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Conservapedia is probably the best, most accurate collection of information on the Internet.
After Answers in Genesis, of course.

Well, that goes without saying.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
18-07-2012, 01:17 PM
www.bible.com

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
18-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey, BnW.

Lol.

Word up, homey G. Word.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt