Letting members of the choir know they are part of the choir

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Letting members of the choir know they are part of the choir
(05-05-2015 11:46 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 06:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think you're assuming their reasons wrongly.
What you have to remember is that the vast majority of people don't care about religion, including most religious people. In fact, most people do shy away from the topic of religion because religious conversation usually results in conflict or someone getting upset.

I don't believe they didn't want to go to the rally because they were afraid of associating themselves as atheists but more so because they were genuinely not interested in going. I think once you showed them the video it peeked their interest and they were more interested in going, thus the change of mind.

I am pretty anti-religion but I must say that the idea to some 2-3-4 hour atheist convention would bore the shit out of me. Hell, I've never once listened to more than 10minutes of one of Seth's podcasts.

I agree, that there are many non-believers that are apatheists and just don't care one way or another. I live in the least religious state and people here are just live and let live. There is no AHA local chapter, or American Atheists chapter, the state universities don't have a secular student alliance, etc. I think most non-believers here don't feel a need for these organizations because the state is so secular.

Jeez Muffs, thanks for pointing out that you know my friends of thirty years better than I do. From everything I know about them, I thought that they would be interested in at least some of the content at the reason rally. I picked the Adam Savage clip, because I know them, and knew that the message would appeal to them. The fact that they said they would go after seeing the clip suggests I was correct. I know these guys well.

At the end of the day, I still believe that reaching out to non-believers who don't yet own their atheism will help with the growth of secularism.

Muffs knows all, that's why he sports the Omniscient Orange.

I'd go to meet with you guys not because we're going to rally around the Atheist Maypole but rather because I'd like to know you as a person...well most of you Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-05-2015, 06:39 AM
I agree with what others have said. I wouldn't go to that event, because I don't like large crowds. I also hate concerts for this reason. It's the main reason I left NYC. Too many goddamn people.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
06-05-2015, 07:01 AM
If you're in the choir, ya gotta go to choir PRACTICE. I think they know. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2015, 08:23 AM
(05-05-2015 11:58 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:46 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I agree, that there are many non-believers that are apatheists and just don't care one way or another. I live in the least religious state and people here are just live and let live. There is no AHA local chapter, or American Atheists chapter, the state universities don't have a secular student alliance, etc. I think most non-believers here don't feel a need for these organizations because the state is so secular.

Jeez Muffs, thanks for pointing out that you know my friends of thirty years better than I do. From everything I know about them, I thought that they would be interested in at least some of the content at the reason rally. I picked the Adam Savage clip, because I know them, and knew that the message would appeal to them. The fact that they said they would go after seeing the clip suggests I was correct. I know these guys well.

At the end of the day, I still believe that reaching out to non-believers who don't yet own their atheism will help with the growth of secularism.

Muffs knows all, that's why he sports the Omniscient Orange.

I'd go to meet with you guys not because we're going to rally around the Atheist Maypole but rather because I'd like to know you as a person...well most of you Tongue

[Image: B_7a6Z6UsAAZY_d.jpg:large]

[Image: oscar.png]