Leviticus, Adultery, and Gay Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: Leviticus, Adultery, and Gay Marriage
(09-02-2016 09:59 AM)The Magic Wombat Wrote:  Acts 10:

9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

While not specifically mentioning shellfish, that passages is interpreted to be:

1. A lifting of all the Leviticus rules against all the foods mentioned therein.
2. A ruling permitting the Gospel to be preached to the Gentiles.

Really? God declared shellfish unclean and absolutely nothing in those verses reverses that; in fact, it clearly excludes them as they were never 'made clean'.

Your interpretation stretches the verses beyond credibility.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2016, 06:02 PM
(08-02-2016 12:00 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 10:19 AM)The Magic Wombat Wrote:  1. Leviticus lists rules God has given in descending order of importance. The Death Penalty ones come first, and work their way down to the ones that carry no penalty.

Who do you believe wrote Leviticus, ...

Marquis de Sade?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-02-2016, 06:07 PM
(09-02-2016 06:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 12:00 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Who do you believe wrote Leviticus, ...

Marquis de Sade?

You make a tortured argument. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-02-2016, 06:45 PM
(09-02-2016 10:36 AM)The Magic Wombat Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Aliza,
You might have to let him know you're a 'them' in order to get his attention.

Thumbsup

Oh, yes. I missed it--I thought it was a rhetorical questions.

Answer #1: Leviticus evolved over the course of a long period of time as a set of Hebrew laws. Even the Bible does not claim it is divine like the 10 Commandments. Rather it was rules thought up by the clergy and passed off as being God's laws.

Answer #2: Who cares? Any set of rules that permits you to sell your daughter into slavery (with the customary guarantee of being repeatedly raped for the rest of her life), require you to put your teenage son to death for back talking you, outlaws cheeseburgers, and makes it a crime to gos to wear mixed-fabric clothes OBVIOUSLY comes from some pretty deranged minds that no person would ever listen to.

Frankly, any "law giver" (Divine or mundane) that is more concerned with whether or not I sit in the same chair as a woman who is menstruating has, than the fact tens of thousands of children will starve to death this year, is nothing more to me than a sick sad joke.

Most people that I speak to agree that Leviticus is addressed to the Hebrews. It doesn't apply to people who aren't Jewish.

Are you Jewish?
14-02-2016, 01:18 PM
(09-02-2016 06:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:36 AM)The Magic Wombat Wrote:  Oh, yes. I missed it--I thought it was a rhetorical questions.

Answer #1: Leviticus evolved over the course of a long period of time as a set of Hebrew laws. Even the Bible does not claim it is divine like the 10 Commandments. Rather it was rules thought up by the clergy and passed off as being God's laws.

Answer #2: Who cares? Any set of rules that permits you to sell your daughter into slavery (with the customary guarantee of being repeatedly raped for the rest of her life), require you to put your teenage son to death for back talking you, outlaws cheeseburgers, and makes it a crime to gos to wear mixed-fabric clothes OBVIOUSLY comes from some pretty deranged minds that no person would ever listen to.

Frankly, any "law giver" (Divine or mundane) that is more concerned with whether or not I sit in the same chair as a woman who is menstruating has, than the fact tens of thousands of children will starve to death this year, is nothing more to me than a sick sad joke.

Most people that I speak to agree that Leviticus is addressed to the Hebrews. It doesn't apply to people who aren't Jewish.

Are you Jewish?
Does it apply to those who are of tribe of Joseph? In other words, does it apply to the lost tribes of Israel?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
14-02-2016, 01:40 PM
They tried to apply it to Alla, but it won't stick to dingbats.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-02-2016, 02:17 PM
(14-02-2016 01:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 06:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Most people that I speak to agree that Leviticus is addressed to the Hebrews. It doesn't apply to people who aren't Jewish.

Are you Jewish?
Does it apply to those who are of tribe of Joseph? In other words, does it apply to the lost tribes of Israel?

There is no tribe of Joseph in Jewish history. Joseph merited the double portion, so his two sons, Menashe and Ephraim, had tribes named after them instead.

Jews believe that Leviticus applies only to Jews. According to Jewish law, Native Americans and Mormons are not Jews.
14-02-2016, 04:55 PM
(14-02-2016 01:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 06:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Most people that I speak to agree that Leviticus is addressed to the Hebrews. It doesn't apply to people who aren't Jewish.

Are you Jewish?

There are no 'lost tribes of Israel'. Their supposed existence is a myth.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post