Leviticus only applies to the Levites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 12:39 PM by RobbyPants.)
Leviticus only applies to the Levites
So, I'm used to various excuses as to why Christians don't have to follow the laws of the Old Testament. Some gems include Christ's death nullifying it (cuz reasons), Jesus saying Kosher eating laws no longer apply (what about mixed fabrics), or Jesus coming to fulfill the law (never mind that not one iota is supposed to change). Today, I heard a new excuse:

Leviticus only applies to the Levites.

If that's the case, wouldn't 1st and 2nd Corinthians only apply to Corinth and Galatians only apply to Galilee Galatia? I'm trying to get the guy to explain his stance in a way that's not special pleading, but he's currently saying that he's "not following me".

Has anyone else heard this excuse? Was it better explained?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-06-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: Leviticus only applies to the Levites
I never heard that one, but I did find "he's 'not following me'" amusing. Laugh out load

Hmm, so Christianity only applies to Christians then. Sounds legit. Thumbsup

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
24-06-2014, 11:07 AM
And Numbers only applies to numbers?

Paul to Pauls?

Dueteronomy to...... to.... Deuterites? Deuterines? Deuterese? Deuce coupes?

Hobo

This changes everything.......

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Its the great christian paradox. Get them talking about a game, like risk or chess, and they are perfectly rational. Show them a crime tv channel and they can connect the dots and draw conclusions just like anybody else. Try to talk to a christian about the bible? Impossible. It is amazing and profoundly frustrating how, subconsciously, they protect their beliefs without allowing them self to, even for a moment, consider something contrary to them, and STILL remains utterly convinced their faith is justified. Boggles my mind ever time. I have no idea how they do it.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
24-06-2014, 11:41 AM
(24-06-2014 11:01 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I never heard that one, but I did find "he's 'not following me'" amusing. Laugh out load

Yeah, my question seemed pretty straight forward. Dodge to avoid admitting special pleading, maybe?

(24-06-2014 11:01 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Hmm, so Christianity only applies to Christians then. Sounds legit. Thumbsup

Nice! So, non-Christians don't need to worry about hell, unless they're apostates... Fuck. That's me.

(24-06-2014 11:07 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  And Numbers only applies to numbers?

Laugh out load

And Malachi to malachites.

(24-06-2014 11:33 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Its the great christian paradox. Get them talking about a game, like risk or chess, and they are perfectly rational. Show them a crime tv channel and they can connect the dots and draw conclusions just like anybody else. Try to talk to a christian about the bible? Impossible. It is amazing and profoundly frustrating how, subconsciously, they protect their beliefs without allowing them self to, even for a moment, consider something contrary to them, and STILL remains utterly convinced their faith is justified. Boggles my mind ever time. I have no idea how they do it.

Compartmentalization, I guess. I was the same way, for quite a while. What's worse, I kinda saw it in myself, but I wanted to assume religion was special, cuz reasons.
24-06-2014, 11:49 AM
(24-06-2014 11:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:01 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Hmm, so Christianity only applies to Christians then. Sounds legit. Thumbsup

Nice! So, non-Christians don't need to worry about hell, unless they're apostates... Fuck. That's me.
Hmm, that's a good question for the guy you were talking to. Does Leviticus apply to former Levites who left the tribe of Levi? Consider If he says no, then apparently we apostates need not worry about hell. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
24-06-2014, 12:18 PM
(24-06-2014 07:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, I'm used to various excuses as to why Christians don't have to follow the laws of the Old Testament. Some gems include Christ's death nullifying it (cuz reasons), Jesus saying Kosher eating laws no longer apply (what about mixed fabrics), or Jesus coming to fulfill the law (never mind that not one iota is supposed to change). Today, I heard a new excuse:

If that's the case, wouldn't 1st and 2nd Corinthians only apply to Corinth and Galatians only apply to Galilee? I'm trying to get the guy to explain his stance in a way that's not special pleading, but he's currently saying that he's "not following me".

I've never heard it. The gold medal in mental gymnastics goes to the person who thought it up (and obviously didn't think it through very well).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-06-2014, 12:33 PM
(24-06-2014 07:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, I'm used to various excuses as to why Christians don't have to follow the laws of the Old Testament. Some gems include Christ's death nullifying it (cuz reasons), Jesus saying Kosher eating laws no longer apply (what about mixed fabrics), or Jesus coming to fulfill the law (never mind that not one iota is supposed to change). Today, I heard a new excuse:

If that's the case, wouldn't 1st and 2nd Corinthians only apply to Corinth and Galatians only apply to Galilee? I'm trying to get the guy to explain his stance in a way that's not special pleading, but he's currently saying that he's "not following me".

Never heard that excuse. And to nitpick, Paul's letter to the Galatians was written to the believers in Galatia in present day Turkey, not Galilee in Israel.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
24-06-2014, 12:39 PM
(24-06-2014 12:33 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Never heard that excuse. And to nitpick, Paul's letter to the Galatians was written to the believers in Galatia in present day Turkey, not Galilee in Israel.

Doc

Thanks. I was considering editing the post. I realized my mistake about an hour ago, but people had begun responding.
24-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Does Genesis only apply to Geneticists? Consider That's ironic.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]