Leviticus only applies to the Levites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Leviticus only applies to the Levites
(24-06-2014 11:07 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  And Numbers only applies to numbers?

Paul to Pauls?

Dueteronomy to...... to.... Deuterites? Deuterines? Deuterese? Deuce coupes?

Hobo

This changes everything.......

No Paul to Pauls? I hope not. Walrus' either. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 12:52 PM
(24-06-2014 11:33 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  ... I have no idea how they do it.

The intellectual paradox of religiosity is irritatingly baffling, and this forum is scratched raw by the acre trying to abate that itch.

But there's another phenomenon of mind, also paradoxical, that doesn't trouble us (much) and its very paradox is the core of how it works:

Profanity.

Profanity is not just a subset of language, it's processed by its own center in the brain, and that compartmentalization of it is what makes a disorder like coprolalia possible.

Profanity is effective because it's taboo. Indulging it is discouraged. Thus when we do use it, it has some genuine emotive power. Without the taboo to give it clout, it's just more vocabulary.

It's useful because it's not supposed to be used.

(Which is why I decry its increased usage in popular culture - the overuse weakens it and winds up depriving us of a vital linguistic tool).

Thus, there is an intellectual paradox intrinsic to ALL of us, the paradox of which doesn't trouble us (much). Recognizing it helps me understand that other minds steeped in other paradoxes (like religiosity) are NOT unusual or unnatural, and that just railing against them in frustrated rage will never bring either mind either relief or understanding.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
24-06-2014, 01:35 PM
So, the guy apparently dropped the subject. His answer was to tell me to "ask God", then throw another non-answer out there about Leviticus applying to the priests of Levi (despite the fact that the epistles are each addressed to a different group, specifically). I told him I was asking him since he was the one making the claim, and he hasn't bitten.

So, there we have it, from the horse's mouth: the official answer to why Leviticus only applies to the Levites, but 1st and 2nd Corinthians applies to all Christians present and future is "ask God".

(24-06-2014 12:39 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Does Genesis only apply to Geneticists? Consider That's ironic.

It makes perfect sense. Geneticists are some of the least likely people to believe what Genesis says. Thus, it's written for them. I always hear Christians say that doctors are for sick people and not the healthy. It just makes sense.
24-06-2014, 01:48 PM
(24-06-2014 01:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, there we have it, from the horse's mouth: the official answer to why Leviticus only applies to the Levites, but 1st and 2nd Corinthians applies to all Christians present and future is "ask God".
Lol, I guess you can file this one under "default retreats" along with mysterious ways, limited minds, and you just have to have faith. Confused

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
24-06-2014, 01:53 PM
(24-06-2014 12:39 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Does Genesis only apply to Geneticists? Consider That's ironic.

or just to Phil Collins?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 2 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
24-06-2014, 02:27 PM
(24-06-2014 01:53 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  

or just to Phil Collins?

More like Francis Collins.
Doc
24-06-2014, 02:32 PM
(24-06-2014 01:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, there we have it, from the horse's mouth: the official answer to why Leviticus only applies to the Levites, but 1st and 2nd Corinthians applies to all Christians present and future is "ask God".

Hobo

[Image: the-angry-super-saiyan-cart-d.jpg?format...olor=white]

[Image: god-not-an-explanation.jpg]
24-06-2014, 02:42 PM
(24-06-2014 02:32 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

Hobo

In a very very long thread I once opined on exactly what "God" is. You may enjoy the thought.

(27-04-2013 12:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  To fully answer your question of what God is to an atheist it is the purest form of wishful thinking. It comforts people to think that out there in the cold cruel world someone is looking out for them, making sure they have everything they need. If they ever need anything really really badly they will get it because they believe they are "good people" and bad things don't happen to good people. God is the reason for and cause of everything that happens to them so it is not their fault if things don't go as planned. "God works in mysterious ways" quote the faithful whenever something bad happens. "His ways are not our ways" to excuse all the genocide and horror contained in the Bible. Ultimately God is a construct that people give of themselves to ease conscience and feel a sense of serenity. But that comes at a great cost because the more you give to your fantasy the less you have of yourself. God says nothing but people claim to hear him in everything, he gives a ready excuse to hate anyone who is not exactly the same as you. I leave you with this thought "Let go and let God" is a popular saying and the implications are clear "You are not in control stop thinking and do as you are told".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-06-2014, 03:29 PM
(24-06-2014 07:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, I'm used to various excuses as to why Christians don't have to follow the laws of the Old Testament. Some gems include Christ's death nullifying it (cuz reasons), Jesus saying Kosher eating laws no longer apply (what about mixed fabrics), or Jesus coming to fulfill the law (never mind that not one iota is supposed to change). Today, I heard a new excuse:

Leviticus only applies to the Levites.

If that's the case, wouldn't 1st and 2nd Corinthians only apply to Corinth and Galatians only apply to Galilee Galatia? I'm trying to get the guy to explain his stance in a way that's not special pleading, but he's currently saying that he's "not following me".

Has anyone else heard this excuse? Was it better explained?

strawman
24-06-2014, 03:32 PM
(24-06-2014 02:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 02:32 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Hobo

In a very very long thread I once opined on exactly what "God" is. You may enjoy the thought.

(27-04-2013 12:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  To fully answer your question of what God is to an atheist it is the purest form of wishful thinking. It comforts people to think that out there in the cold cruel world someone is looking out for them, making sure they have everything they need. If they ever need anything really really badly they will get it because they believe they are "good people" and bad things don't happen to good people. God is the reason for and cause of everything that happens to them so it is not their fault if things don't go as planned. "God works in mysterious ways" quote the faithful whenever something bad happens. "His ways are not our ways" to excuse all the genocide and horror contained in the Bible. Ultimately God is a construct that people give of themselves to ease conscience and feel a sense of serenity. But that comes at a great cost because the more you give to your fantasy the less you have of yourself. God says nothing but people claim to hear him in everything, he gives a ready excuse to hate anyone who is not exactly the same as you. I leave you with this thought "Let go and let God" is a popular saying and the implications are clear "You are not in control stop thinking and do as you are told".

This is why you're the Rev! Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces