Liar, Lunatic or Lord? Or... by Matt Dillahunty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2016, 04:12 PM
RE: Liar, Lunatic or Lord? Or... by Matt Dillahunty
(27-01-2016 04:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I haven't watched the video (can't -- I'm at work), but Lewis's argument was always a non-starter for me. He implicitly assumes that the Gospels are accurate historical accounts of what Jesus said and did. That is a huge assumption, and one I'm not willing to make or grant. And without that, his argument is worthless.
Dillahunty addresses this.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2016, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2016 05:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
I like Hitchens' response to Lewis' Trilemma. "I am bound to say that Lewis is more honest here. Absent a direct line to the Almighty and a conviction that the last days are upon us, how is it 'moral' [...] to claim a monopoly on access to heaven, or to threaten waverers with everlasting fire, let alone to condemn fig trees and persuade devils to infest the bodies of pigs? Such a person if not divine would be a sorcerer and a fanatic."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-01-2016, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2016 12:07 PM by Bucky Ball.)
C.S Lewis is one of the MOST overrated authors, ever. He never even attempts to establish his multiple assumptions have any truth value. If you don't already buy into his faith positions, it basically amounts to sentimental drivel. He's really not a scholar of anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-01-2016, 11:56 AM
That's part of Matt's Atheist Debates project. Pretty much all of them are worth a watch, though I tend to stay away from the actual debates. His opponents are physically painful to listen to. No, really, I give myself a conclusion from all the facepalming, as Mom put it.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
28-01-2016, 12:56 PM
(28-01-2016 07:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He's really not a scholar of anything.

wait are you saying he isn't a scholar of 'lying and tricking lay people who don't know any better' ? Smartass
28-01-2016, 01:30 PM
(27-01-2016 01:37 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(27-01-2016 01:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Loved it! Thanks for posting!

You're welcome. I enjoyed it too. It was something new as I'd never heard of the L, L or L before. I agree with him on the legend bit, that is a reasonable explanation.

I had this first pitched at me by a very dishonest and rude Baptist minister. The false ditrichotomy is obvious. It's entirely possible other people are lying on his behalf. Maybe they exaggerated claims, maybe they wanted a hero after the fact, or maybe he never existed. In any case, the fabrication doesn't actually have to be made from Jesus.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-01-2016, 07:09 AM
I would counter with...

Liar, Lunatic or Leprechaun ?

Nuff said

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
29-01-2016, 08:14 AM
When you apply the legend argument it all falls into place really doesn't it?

There are numerous instances of individuals who became legendary in historical times not because of what they did, but what others claimed they had done. You only have to look at the examples of Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill or Adolf Hitler to see how vested interests or propaganda can result in embedded myths.

In some instances those individuals are a party to the myth-making, sometimes not......but however you look at it none of Lewis's arguments stack up.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
29-01-2016, 08:20 AM
(28-01-2016 07:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  C.S Lewis is one of the MOST overrated authors, ever. He never even attempts to establish his multiple assumptions have any truth value. If you don't already buy into his faith positions, it basically amounts to sentimental drivel. He's really not a scholar of anything.

Overrated ever? Possibly. Drivel? Absolutely. I read "The Screwtape Letters" many years ago when I was in the deist phase and remember being sort of impressed with his ability to some up with the fan fiction he did. Unfortunately, I think that too many people treat him like he was some sort of prophet.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
29-01-2016, 08:29 AM
I didn't even like Narnia as a kid, but then again, I'm not into that type of fantasy fiction.

But maybe I'm not into it because of his books Shocking

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post