Liar, Lunatic or Lord? Or... by Matt Dillahunty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: Liar, Lunatic or Lord? Or... by Matt Dillahunty
(29-01-2016 08:14 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  When you apply the legend argument it all falls into place really doesn't it?

There are numerous instances of individuals who became legendary in historical times not because of what they did, but what others claimed they had done. You only have to look at the examples of Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill or Adolf Hitler to see how vested interests or propaganda can result in embedded myths.

In some instances those individuals are a party to the myth-making, sometimes not......but however you look at it none of Lewis's arguments stack up.

[Image: abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-movie-poster-03.jpg]

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
29-01-2016, 08:34 AM
(29-01-2016 08:32 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 08:14 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  When you apply the legend argument it all falls into place really doesn't it?

There are numerous instances of individuals who became legendary in historical times not because of what they did, but what others claimed they had done. You only have to look at the examples of Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill or Adolf Hitler to see how vested interests or propaganda can result in embedded myths.

In some instances those individuals are a party to the myth-making, sometimes not......but however you look at it none of Lewis's arguments stack up.

Beat me to it!
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
29-01-2016, 08:40 AM

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
29-01-2016, 08:51 AM
What kind of question is that to ask the Jesus Allegory Lion?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
29-01-2016, 09:02 AM
(29-01-2016 08:34 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 08:32 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  [Image: abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-movie-poster-03.jpg]

Beat me to it!

Great minds think alike. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
29-01-2016, 09:06 AM
(29-01-2016 08:40 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

That was awesome! Smile

29-01-2016, 09:59 AM
(29-01-2016 08:32 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  

EXACTLY!!! Thumbsup

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
29-01-2016, 10:08 AM
And going back in time there are countless examples of individuals who may or may not have existed and have had miraculous or heroic deeds associated with them.

The Arthurian Legends are a case in point. It is possible that a Dark Age prince ruled parts of Britain following the departure of the Romans, but there is no documented evidence of his existence and the folk tales which may or may not have been associated with him may have been recorded/made-up/embellished by a 15th century English writer.

And they've been further embellished since.

Echoes of the gospels here?

Robin Hood is another, later example.

Why should we think that Jebus is any different?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
29-01-2016, 10:27 AM
(29-01-2016 10:08 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  And going back in time there are countless examples of individuals who may or may not have existed and have had miraculous or heroic deeds associated with them.

The Arthurian Legends are a case in point. It is possible that a Dark Age prince ruled parts of Britain following the departure of the Romans, but there is no documented evidence of his existence and the folk tales which may or may not have been associated with him may have been recorded/made-up/embellished by a 15th century English writer.

And they've been further embellished since.

Echoes of the gospels here?

Robin Hood is another, later example.

Why should we think that Jebus is any different?

The more I think about this the more I like it. I think I will start referring to any and every "jesus" thing as "the legend of jesus". I think as atheists we should actively promote this. Maybe it will go viral.

*goes off to make a meme.*

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
29-01-2016, 11:04 AM
[Image: 4GA6dXo.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post