Liberal Arts College vs Public University

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 07:04 AM
RE: Liberal Arts College vs Public University
(25-09-2016 05:29 AM)julep Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 10:19 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Thank you for your response. I agree with you on every point that you made. As far as taking a year off I can't do that or I won't get my financial aid and scholarship money I've earned I'm pretty sure. Finally, the private school is Alice Loyd college.

Okay, I've changed my mind. Alice Lloyd College should be your very last choice, the school you take only if no other college accepts your or you can't afford to go anywhere else.

I just looked them up. The course offerings are extremely limited. The college mission seems largely to be to train up "good" (that is, competent, unquestioning, and Christian) employees for your region, while holding its costs down with all of that free labor, while also making sure the students are too tired from working and doing their assignments to have experiences or even discussions that might make them raise impertinent questions.

Okay thank you and yes, I have feared the negative side of that school a lot. I will still keep my options open, but thank you. I was concerned of the Christian mission there plus all the work jammed in a week. Of course I have religious family who would love to see me go there for obvious reasons.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2016, 09:05 AM
(24-09-2016 10:19 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Finally, the private school is Alice Loyd college.

I just gave ALC a glance too. If anything, Julep's been overly kind in her assessment of them.

- They offer a single science major, Biology, and the course availability is extremely limitted. There are no courses on evolution, which are typically offered in any Bio degree. Evolution is mentioned in their course descriptions, twice. While they list this as a BSc Biology I wold consider it equivalent to a BA.

- Christian values are heavily emphasized and there are requirements for graduation that include such gems as The Purpose Road Philosophy, of which the stated goal is "A life of service to God and humanity is the desired result of one’s “walk” upon the Purpose Road."

- As an atheist at a heavily Christian school you may find problems with the social scene. I'm not talking partying here, I'm thinking subtle exclusion by classmates and possibly teachers. You will be unlikely to be amongst the "in crowd".

- Dorms are gender exclusive and room checks are conducted. That's absurdly authoritarian.

I know that they have "free" tuition (fees come to ~$25,000 over 4 years) and that's attractive but I wouldn't consider this a serious school. Anything free is worth what you paid.

I wouldn't even give this one a second glance.

There are a few simple tests that you might try though.

- Find a evangelical Baptist forum and create an account. Don't mention that you're an atheist. Ask them what they think of the two schools you're considering. I predict glowing reviews for ALC from the fundies and possibly some revealing comments. Repeat with a liberal christian forum. That should provide some perspective.

- Contact a few profs in biochem, astronomy, etc. Tell them that you are about to start your undergrad and hope to do graduate work in their fields. Ask their opinions of your two candidate schools. These are the experts so if they can tel you what a degree from ALC will be worth going forward.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
25-09-2016, 02:26 PM
(25-09-2016 09:05 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 10:19 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Finally, the private school is Alice Loyd college.

I just gave ALC a glance too. If anything, Julep's been overly kind in her assessment of them.

- They offer a single science major, Biology, and the course availability is extremely limitted. There are no courses on evolution, which are typically offered in any Bio degree. Evolution is mentioned in their course descriptions, twice. While they list this as a BSc Biology I wold consider it equivalent to a BA.

- Christian values are heavily emphasized and there are requirements for graduation that include such gems as The Purpose Road Philosophy, of which the stated goal is "A life of service to God and humanity is the desired result of one’s “walk” upon the Purpose Road."

- As an atheist at a heavily Christian school you may find problems with the social scene. I'm not talking partying here, I'm thinking subtle exclusion by classmates and possibly teachers. You will be unlikely to be amongst the "in crowd".

- Dorms are gender exclusive and room checks are conducted. That's absurdly authoritarian.

I know that they have "free" tuition (fees come to ~$25,000 over 4 years) and that's attractive but I wouldn't consider this a serious school. Anything free is worth what you paid.

I wouldn't even give this one a second glance.

There are a few simple tests that you might try though.

- Find a evangelical Baptist forum and create an account. Don't mention that you're an atheist. Ask them what they think of the two schools you're considering. I predict glowing reviews for ALC from the fundies and possibly some revealing comments. Repeat with a liberal christian forum. That should provide some perspective.

- Contact a few profs in biochem, astronomy, etc. Tell them that you are about to start your undergrad and hope to do graduate work in their fields. Ask their opinions of your two candidate schools. These are the experts so if they can tel you what a degree from ALC will be worth going forward.

Thank you very much! I will take all into consideration and definitely do those two tests.Smile

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
25-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Hmm I'm a bit biased, having gone through public universities, teaching in one, researching in one, etc. That said, one thing others haven't covered in their excellent suggestions: 15-18 credit hours is actually a good idea, on the part of the basketball coach, even if you choose the public university. To actually get out in four years at most places, you need to take a minimum of 15 credits per semester.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2016, 05:58 PM
(25-09-2016 04:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Hmm I'm a bit biased, having gone through public universities, teaching in one, researching in one, etc. That said, one thing others haven't covered in their excellent suggestions: 15-18 credit hours is actually a good idea, on the part of the basketball coach, even if you choose the public university. To actually get out in four years at most places, you need to take a minimum of 15 credits per semester.

Thank you! I don't think it's a bad idea either regarding the hours. I'm just concerned that the work studies and basketball with it will make it overwhelming.

[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
27-09-2016, 03:55 PM
(25-09-2016 05:58 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 04:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Hmm I'm a bit biased, having gone through public universities, teaching in one, researching in one, etc. That said, one thing others haven't covered in their excellent suggestions: 15-18 credit hours is actually a good idea, on the part of the basketball coach, even if you choose the public university. To actually get out in four years at most places, you need to take a minimum of 15 credits per semester.

Thank you! I don't think it's a bad idea either regarding the hours. I'm just concerned that the work studies and basketball with it will make it overwhelming.

Oh gotcha, that is quite a fair point!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post