Liberal? Conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 10:49 AM
RE: Liberal? Conservative?
(18-04-2017 10:44 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 10:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You shouldn't have to wait long with the current US administration.

Then we'll all be looking to hire you and your barbarian friends...

... magnificent seven at a time.

Big Grin

Even Canada managed to find a use for my non college educated, barbaric (multilingual) ass Big Grin. I've spent most of my life dealing with the worst society (not all at the same end of the civilized spectrum) has to offer, and they're everywhere. I could be biased, spending every day having face to face conversations with murders, pedophiles, and Somalian gang bangers in a county that prides itself on staying near the top of the happiest countries in the world list.

Now I wonder why you would want to see civilization fall? Then those vile people would not have the law to hopefully stop them, right? No doubt society is fucked up in some ways, but I'd think having a system in place is better than pure anarchy, right? Maybe I'm just biased because I'd truly not survive long in a world like that. I quite enjoy my life as it is now lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
18-04-2017, 10:52 AM
(18-04-2017 10:49 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 10:44 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Even Canada managed to find a use for my non college educated, barbaric (multilingual) ass Big Grin. I've spent most of my life dealing with the worst society (not all at the same end of the civilized spectrum) has to offer, and they're everywhere. I could be biased, spending every day having face to face conversations with murders, pedophiles, and Somalian gang bangers in a county that prides itself on staying near the top of the happiest countries in the world list.

Now I wonder why you would want to see civilization fall? Then those vile people would not have the law to hopefully stop them, right? No doubt society is fucked up in some ways, but I'd think having a system in place is better than pure anarchy, right? Maybe I'm just biased because I'd truly not survive long in a world like that. I quite enjoy my life as it is now lol.

It's just my smartassed inconsistencies coming to the surface. I spend my free time at the shooting range or teaching my oldest kid the basics of land navigation and foraging, but I voted Transhumanist because #cyborglivesmatter.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-04-2017, 11:00 AM
(18-04-2017 09:47 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  You are aware that it is possible to be conservative and gay?
I'm well aware.
My point was, my coworkers hear one opinion, out of many that I hold, and cannot conceive that I would have a pro-gay stance without actually being a homosexual.
18-04-2017, 11:00 AM
(18-04-2017 10:26 AM)Emma Wrote:  I'm generally very liberal/progressive- especially from an American perspective.

I agree with Emma about everything, so I am a liberal and progressive too -- except we will never be able to get rid of the guns in America. It just won't happen.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Yeah, what I never could (and never will) understand is the use of "progressive" as an insult, as something negative. By all means, let's all go back to living in our own shit, fending off predators (much stronger than us) with our bare puny hands, give birth in the dirt at the age of 12 (quite possibly after having been raped), spend our entire life just trying to find food and live to the ripe old age of thirty. God, I'm missing on so much fun in my crappy, inferior civilised life Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7217ac9cd274f5b824ddbe40bb05aff7.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 10 users Like Vera's post
18-04-2017, 11:06 AM
(18-04-2017 10:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm assuming that you are using Murikan definitions of 'Liberal' and 'Conservative'.
Well, I have Murikan friends and coworkers, I would assume that they are using Murikan definitions when they label me.
Quote:It might be worth noting that TTA is a global brand so some may take issue with your categorisations.
Actually it's my friends'/coworkers' categorizations.
Or, you know, their knee-jerk suspicions...
[+] 1 user Likes Missiletowe's post
18-04-2017, 03:16 PM
I have a similar issue, which is why I avoid political labels when possible. I don't like how people want to lump everyone into easy baskets so they can take a mental shortcut and think they either agree with you on everything or disagree on everything, nothing is that simple. Can't we just evaluate the issues on their individual merits? I find it silly that anyone could possibly agree with EVERY stance of ANY political party when actually pressed to think about it.

If I HAD to label myself, I'd say I'm just a moderate, but that's not really true either. I'm a registered Republican in California (closed primary state), although I "lean" more Democrat, have considered myself Libertarian in the past (although libertarians have kind of gone off the deep end IMO). The closest party to me would probably be the Green Party though as I'm pretty pro-environment. I like pieces of almost every political ideology. I'm a pacifist who thinks peace is best achieved through military might. I'm pro-gun ownership, but I think there should be a psych exam and mandatory training. I'm pro-Choice, but don't "approve" of 3rd trimester abortion except in life-threatening cases (or serious fetal abnormalities); I don't think it should ever be illegal, but I wouldn't do it myself. I think abortions should be FREE and covered by health insurance. I'd really like to see a single payer health care system, and hate the employer-provided scheme, you shouldn't lose coverage if you lose your job. I don't think "welfare" should come so easily, if you "can" work, you should work, perhaps the government should provide well-paid but crappy part-time jobs (trash pick-up or something) if you need assistance while you look for another better job. I really hate that people can be on Section 8 for years while living in an expensive area while the government pays for it. I don't think people should be immediately kicked out of their "home", but I've seen far too many people abuse it, and the fiscal conservative inside me hates it. I'm sure it has it's merits and plenty of people "need" it, and it would be impossible to make it immune from abuse, but it seems like it could be worth trying. Government subsidized housing is really messing with the rental market in a lot of places. My most off the wall idea would probably be an attempt at some sort of population control though, I don't think people should be incentivized to have children (e.g. tax breaks, etc, but I DO support paid family/maternity leave). I really can't stand when people can't afford children have 5+ and raise them in poverty, they should be offered FREE sterilization (not forced, but incentivized perhaps) if they can't afford the kids they already have (or at a minimum free long-term birth control). I know this idea flies in the face of "liberty", at least in it's more extreme forms, but I do believe there's a point when an individual's absolute (reproductive) freedom infringes upon others' freedoms. Meh. Just rambling, sorry. 19 and Counting literally makes me ill though, even though they're obviously not in poverty, but perhaps before the show they were? Ugh.

TLDR: Probably TMI and I'm sure many would disagree with elements of my views, but it doesn't bother me. I certainly have thoughts that grossly conflict with every political ideology. I'm sure anyone who prefers to have actual rationale for their opinions has a similar predicament though. It would be nice if we could just vote on things by the issue, maybe some day the internet will make "representative" government obsolete.

Edit to Add: Based on my views, I really have no idea if I'm conservative or liberal, which was kind of the reason I went on such a long rant about all the views that make it particularly difficult to categorize me one way or another.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like MustangManda's post
18-04-2017, 03:19 PM
(18-04-2017 08:10 AM)Missiletowe Wrote:  I've always found that to be a curious question.

I mean, I believe in a standing military, the death penalty, gun ownership... So all my liberal friends think I'm a conservative.

I also believe in same sex marriage, abortion rights, legalizing marijuana, single payer healthcare... So all my conservative coworkers think I'm gay.

Maybe life isn't black and white; there are shades of gray...

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
18-04-2017, 04:22 PM
I am a liberal person, in almost every sense of the word.
But that doesn't mean I agree with every decision or policy progressives/liberals put forth.
I think we need more fiscal conversancy, especially in regard to the military.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
18-04-2017, 04:36 PM
(18-04-2017 08:10 AM)Missiletowe Wrote:  I've always found that to be a curious question.

I mean, I believe in a standing military, the death penalty, gun ownership... So all my liberal friends think I'm a conservative.

I also believe in same sex marriage, abortion rights, legalizing marijuana, single payer healthcare... So all my conservative coworkers think I'm gay.

Liberalism as an ideology gave rise to laissez faire economics, which was a problem during the industrial revolution. In some countries, liberal actually means conservative because of those roots. At the turn of the century, in America, we had the rise of the Progressives. Which were concerned with solving national problems. Sewer systems, clean water, clearing slums, busting trusts and monopolies, and later we had the New Deal to save America from the depression.
Post WW2 liberalism fought for labor rights, civil rights and anti-New Deal conservatism.

It's all a rather complex thing to consider. I prefer to call myself a progressive, being aware of progressivism's history of problem solving. With the failure of the conservatives during the depression, the reactionary stances that started with fighting the New Deal, Nixon's use of wedge issues and the Southern Strategy et al, conservatism to me is not reasonable, rational, or acceptable. The conservatives, the GOP still can't accept that Supply Side economics is a bust.

Back to the roots. Solving problems. Bring me solutions. No divisive wedge issues. Not ideological based bullshit that sounds good to the elderly Faux viewers.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post