Liberal? Conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 04:58 PM
RE: Liberal? Conservative?
(18-04-2017 04:36 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Not ideological based bullshit that sounds good to the elderly Faux viewers.

Oh, the bullshit doesn't sound good to the young Faux viewers?

-----------------------------------------------------------

All these labels have way too many connotations now.

I am progressive - I want society to advance on all levels, to become more knowledgeable.

I am liberal: I want society to keep evolving in the direction of freedom of stigmas based on personality traits.

I am conservative - I want to conserve the land, vegetation and wild life.

I support the right to own guns - albeit no machine guns and with mandatory safety training.

I support the death penalty - albeit with a choice of life long, self funded imprisonment or death.

I am a feminist - I believe in equal rights and pay for all.

And so on. The words have all lost their original meanings and now we can't use them anymore.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
18-04-2017, 05:08 PM
'Other'

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
18-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Liberal? Conservative?
Liberal? Conservative?

Both. It makes my head hurt if I try to fit myself into any current political party. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole. I hate the political parties. They are the reason why we can't get anyone with fucking common sense to make it in office.

The official parties make a list of ideologies and expect you to adopt it. Screw that. I can't stand it when someone defends an idea just because their party embraces it. There are a lot of people like that though. They are ok with being told how to think.

I just don't fit in. Oh well, the universe will go cold in a few trillion years and none of this will matter anymore.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
19-04-2017, 02:09 AM
Hi,

Don't see a problem with mix and match.

D.
19-04-2017, 06:21 AM
In Australia, liberal = conservative.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
19-04-2017, 08:01 AM
As a non-American I take issue with your categorisations.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-04-2017, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2017 08:38 AM by Full Circle.)
My mixed views on topics defy an all-encompassing label as well and I find myself having to explain myself much too often in polite conversation, so I simply don’t discuss political views much in real life. I don’t have the patience and I am prone to anger in the face of what I consider idiocy (perhaps it could be that I’m the one who’s wrong...nah Big Grin )

These are the things I believe with some modifications to the original.

1. Share everything except your spouse.
2. Play fair.
3. Don’t hit or shoot people, unless they start it.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat and after you use the bathroom.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you and so is pizza.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and science can tell you the how and why. Science is our friend.
15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the cup - they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”
17. Finally, don’t be a Dick, no one likes a dick.

― With apologies to Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
22-04-2017, 03:54 PM
My views are mixed, it depends on the issue. I don't like labelling myself these days.

I support LGBT rights, abortion, welfare, universal healthcare, unrestricted freedom of speech, and most things that would be associated with "liberal" values.

On the other hand, I support the right to bear arms (with some common sense regulations, obviously), the death penalty in certain cases, and a strict (but fair) immigration system.
22-04-2017, 03:59 PM
(22-04-2017 03:54 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  On the other hand, I support the right to bear arms (with some common sense regulations, obviously), the death penalty in certain cases, and a strict (but fair) immigration system.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to charge you a small fine for using the term "common sense" without clarification. I accept debit Tongue

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
22-04-2017, 04:05 PM
(22-04-2017 03:59 PM)cactus Wrote:  I'm sorry, I'm going to have to charge you a small fine for using the term "common sense" without clarification. I accept debit Tongue

Eighteen and over, no serious criminal record, and make basic training a requirement. For the record, I am not in the US, so we don't have that right and it is unlikely that we ever will unless British gun culture changes drastically.

I would love to move to the US or Canada in the future, though.